Hi Visibiliy and being seen!!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: Hi Visibiliy and being seen!!

Post by dustin91 »

Beautiful job! I just put some lengths of 2" thick red 3M reflective tape on mine (something tells me I've already stated as such on this thread), but it just looks like some dashes in the reflection. That outline work is gorgeous!
pcxjojo

Post by pcxjojo »

Thanks George! The tape I ordered was 1/2 inch so I had to trim it half and half again so it was very narrow. Had I known 1/8 inch was the best width to go around curves I'd have gotten that to start with. Really surprised how such narrow tape reflects so brightly.
pcxjojo

Post by pcxjojo »

Yeah thanks Dustin. Your post is the reason I decided to try the tape before the LED lights. In the daylight you can barely see the black tape. I wanted to use even more but thought about how it would just be that much more to remove if the need arose. I'm gonna live with this for a while and see how it holds up to the elements.
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

Mel and DJCat are right. use all the hi vis stuff you can, but in the end, ride like you are invisible.
pcxjojo

Post by pcxjojo »

@ScooterKim: yep! On my white Can Am Spyder I'm a great big visible freak of nature, but this awesomely fun little PCX has taught me plenty about the folks we share the road with. Already adjusting my riding habits.
pcxjojo

Post by pcxjojo »

I added a little more tape to my bike tonight.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (33.78 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (76.38 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (80.01 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

Nice job with the decals, certainly helps. However reflective stickers only help with light hitting them directly, if you want to mitigate situations like the one you described, the only way to go is either active light or high viz.

I will stick some battery powered bicycle LEDs to my mirror stems, research has shown that people have issues in judging the distance to a single source of light. Giving them more than one point of reference helps them to judge distances better.

Whenever I think its of benefit and will not cause an accident (e.g. by glaring oncoming traffic), I do switch on the high beams. Works wonders when filtering (filtering/lane splitting may be illegal where you are though).
MrSuperchicken1
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MrSuperchicken1 »

pcxjojo wrote:After several hours of trimming, crouching, and a bit of swearing. I got the reflective tape on my bike! Don't think I'm going with lights cause I'm just too lazy to install them.
Where, may I ask, did you get this tape from?

Thanks
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

ben wrote:I covered my PCX in LEDs about 3 months ago to make me more visible ready for winter.

Might have slightly overdone it to be honest but there's no way someone can say they ''didn't see me'', well worth doing!

I'll post some photos when i get round to it...
pics?!?

as for horn upgrades, i recommend the Screaming Banshee as a step up from the Stebel! have one on my PCX and it is awesome!

it give you the option of using the stock horn for short friendly beeps or you can let the banshee scream by holding the horn button for more than a quarter second. it also flashes the high beam in banshee mode.

http://screaming-banshee.com/
pcxjojo

Post by pcxjojo »

Got the tape from a company called Streetglo on the Internet. I bought 1/2 inch but to get it to go smoothly around the curves I trimmed it down to 1/8 inch. They sell it in that width so I should have just bought it that width to start with.
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScottDR »

pcxjojo wrote:Yeah thanks Dustin. Your post is the reason I decided to try the tape before the LED lights. In the daylight you can barely see the black tape. I wanted to use even more but thought about how it would just be that much more to remove if the need arose. I'm gonna live with this for a while and see how it holds up to the elements.
Hi Jojo.

How has the black tape held up?

Thanks!
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:
Honda tall windshield, Honda top box, NCY variator and face with 13gram rollers, LED headlamps & taillight with, Backoff indicator
Kawell rectangular lights-fork, mounted
Cheeky Seats seat cover (de-humped), YSS PDC and front spring upgrade 15W fork fluid, YSS rear spring/damper upgrade-preload adjustable only, lots of reflective tape and other accessories

Previously owned:
1969 Honda K50 mini trail (first bike, still runs great and in the family)
1975 Honda CB125
1978 Yamaha DT400 (bored 2 stroke insanity)
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Beautiful, I have similar discreet reflective tape all over my PCX but unfortunately it proves to be nearly worthless in anything but a camera lens. Take a ride out in front of your cars owns headlamps tonight with your camera filming from the dash of your car through the windshield. Just don't want you to be over confident that traffic see that at night... or at all sadly.
ScottDR
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScottDR »

Darn. I assumed so but truly appreciate your honesty!

I put SOLAS tape around the flange/rim of my Honda trunk. That stuff is one of the brightest out there. Will add some of the same black reflective stuff as you did on the body lines (I will copy yours) as i went ahead and ordered some with high visibility helmet stickers from streetglo.

Cheers and thanks for the super fast reply!
ImageImageImage
2013 Black PCX 150
Mods/accessories:
Honda tall windshield, Honda top box, NCY variator and face with 13gram rollers, LED headlamps & taillight with, Backoff indicator
Kawell rectangular lights-fork, mounted
Cheeky Seats seat cover (de-humped), YSS PDC and front spring upgrade 15W fork fluid, YSS rear spring/damper upgrade-preload adjustable only, lots of reflective tape and other accessories

Previously owned:
1969 Honda K50 mini trail (first bike, still runs great and in the family)
1975 Honda CB125
1978 Yamaha DT400 (bored 2 stroke insanity)
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 250r
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by GatorGreg »

pcxjojo wrote:Hi all! Has anyone added LED lighting to their PCX?
Yes! Here are a couple of my vids:

2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

ScottDR wrote:How has the black tape held up?
Given that pcxjojo hasn't logged in since late 2013 I think its highly unlikely you're ever going to find out.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ishkabibble »

Sometimes, it actually is beneficial to not be seen.

Not on a scooter or motorcycle, but in most cases...

I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

gn2 wrote:
Given that pcxjojo hasn't logged in since late 2013 I think its highly unlikely you're ever going to find out.
JoJo's alive and well over at Grom Chat under the user name MXS87. She's has 199 posts and asking questions like why doesn't the Grom have a gear light indicator? That girl was always fun, I miss her.

I hope she finally learns basic manual transmission :D
http://www.hondagrom.net/forums/7-grom- ... art-5.html

yes its pretty scary how easy it is to find someone on the net o_O that took 30 seconds
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
gn2 wrote:
JoJo's alive and well over at Grom Chat under the user name MXS87. She's has 199 posts and asking questions like why doesn't the Grom have a gear light indicator? That girl was always fun, I miss her.

yes its pretty scary how easy it is to find someone on the net o_O that took 30 seconds

Stalker :lol:
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

you you wrote:
homie wrote:
gn2 wrote: Given that pcxjojo hasn't logged in since late 2013 I think its highly unlikely you're ever going to find out.

Stalker :lol:
Yes that's true I did just stalk her. When people drop off hopefully they're enjoying a different bike or sold the PCX or worse... why there is no crash fatality list.

You have to admit JoJo was interesting and you feel better she's OK. Unique in as much as she worked on her own scoot doing maintenance and Mods many guys wouldn't attempt. Made lots cool video's showing her life style on the streets from her PCX in the UK. She road hard, crashed big, and got up went back out after injuries to take on clutch bikes.

She met her match with clutches being born of the twist-n-go generation she over thought manual gears. Remember how we all tried to teach her :lol: she just had a hell of a time but apparently never gave up.

The intolerable rattle she got with the insurance companies new PCX just pissed her off and she bailed on us. Yep JoJo's alright and I hope all the cats on her street step it up or she might run them over :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attachments
mac2.jpg
mac2.jpg (8.47 KiB) Viewed 1072 times