Seat bag, tail bag, or roll bag that's NOT quick release?

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Seat bag, tail bag, or roll bag that's NOT quick release?

Post by Kermit »

Hi. I would love to attach a bag to my seat (I don't have a rack or any other mods), but I want it to be secure enough that I can leave it unattended and feel pretty confident that it won't be taken. (I would use a lock on the zipper for the bag's contents.)

It seems that as a matter of convenience, most/all of the bags that are available are quick-release, with the "snaps" (or whatever they're called) very close to the bottom of the bag, so they'd be easily visible/reachable. Do any of you know of a bag that either doesn't have the quick-release snaps, or has them in the middle of the straps, so they'd be on the underside of the seat? Or am I kidding myself, and this is a just plain bad idea?

Why do I want this? Because I wear a high-viz, armoured jacket when I ride, but when I'm running errands or going somewhere to spend time (dinner, shopping, etc.), I'd like to not have to wear or carry the jacket with me. It's heavy, not to mention obnoxious to look at. :)

This seat bag seems to be the perfect shape, and with new/different straps, could be easily modified to be what I'm describing (though it might not be big enough):
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/wolf ... k-tail-bag

And I just ordered this roll bag to see if it might work with or without modifying, but it hasn't arrived yet:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sadd ... e-roll-bag

Would love to know your thoughts/experiences! Thank you.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: Seat bag, tail bag, or roll bag that's NOT quick release

Post by DAB »

Kermit wrote:Hi. I would love to attach a bag to my seat (I don't have a rack or any other mods), but I want it to be secure enough that I can leave it unattended and feel pretty confident that it won't be taken. (I would use a lock on the zipper for the bag's contents.)

It seems that as a matter of convenience, most/all of the bags that are available are quick-release, with the "snaps" (or whatever they're called) very close to the bottom of the bag, so they'd be easily visible/reachable. Do any of you know of a bag that either doesn't have the quick-release snaps, or has them in the middle of the straps, so they'd be on the underside of the seat? Or am I kidding myself, and this is a just plain bad idea?

Why do I want this? Because I wear a high-viz, armoured jacket when I ride, but when I'm running errands or going somewhere to spend time (dinner, shopping, etc.), I'd like to not have to wear or carry the jacket with me. It's heavy, not to mention obnoxious to look at. :)

This seat bag seems to be the perfect shape, and with new/different straps, could be easily modified to be what I'm describing (though it might not be big enough):
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/wolf ... k-tail-bag

And I just ordered this roll bag to see if it might work with or without modifying, but it hasn't arrived yet:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sadd ... e-roll-bag

Would love to know your thoughts/experiences! Thank you.
1st one way too small, 2nd ???

David
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
Darth Emma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Darth Emma »

Why not get a top case? It will do what you want and you can take them off pretty easily if you don't want it on your bike all the time.
Rides 2014 Honda Forza, 2012 Honda Ruckus
Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Post by Kermit »

Darth Emma wrote:Why not get a top case? It will do what you want and you can take them off pretty easily if you don't want it on your bike all the time.
Yeah, I knew I would get that question, and I should have pre-empted it. I'm just not a fan of the top case, but I haven't 100% ruled it out. I was just hoping for something less obtrusive. I don't particularly care for the way the top cases are so not integrated with the bike...they just look like a permanent afterthought to me, the way they sit so high and so far back.
meissinger
Regular User
Regular User

Post by meissinger »

Elsewhere, I have a thread with my combination saddlebags and top bag. The top bag does snap off too easy, but the saddlebags are strapped under the locked seat.

That said, however, my "high-viz, armoured jacket" easily fits inside the trunk, with my helmet hanging on the strap on the hook. If that's not an option, you'll need to do something else. I think the saddlebags I have will hold my jacket, though. I've used them to tote several sacks of groceries, sandals (when wearing shoes to ride), etc.

The forza will hold two helmets AND my jacket under the seat -- and the saddlebags and top bag transfer fine to the larger bike.

Hope that helps
Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Post by Kermit »

Thanks, meissinger. I'll look for your other thread.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Why not take a large duffle bag and just wrap the two handle straps under the seat, then lock the seat?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Post by Kermit »

maddiedog wrote:Why not take a large duffle bag and just wrap the two handle straps under the seat, then lock the seat?
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm doing, except that I didn't have a duffle bag, so I went ahead and ordered one made for a motorcycle. If the one I ordered works, I'll post pics.
ahernandez74

Post by ahernandez74 »

You mentioned that you want it hard mounted though? It might take some custom modification to hard mount. Maybe try http://www.vikingbags.com/explorer-seri ... ar-bag.htm and they're having a sale right now?

Otherwise, I would only be able to recommend maybe using a backpack and storing your stuff in there. That's the cheapest and quickest solution for you.
Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Post by Kermit »

Not hard mounted...just secure. For hard mounting, it seems the only option would be a top case (or a bag mounted to a top case mounting kit). My issue is wanting something that's "on" the bike rather than "behind" the bike. Easier said than done.

I will likely end up with a top case. Just thought I'd ask this group if you knew of anything.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When we purchased our top box we didn't want one that looked too large or out of place, so we ended up purchasing one of the Givi smaller top boxes. It can only hold one helmet, but it blends in with the design of the bike. Another option might be to attach a backrest and attach a bag to it on the side closest to the rider. This would make it look like it belonged there.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Post by Kermit »

Mel, I like your idea of the backrest/bag combo, and it's one I've considered. As much as I like the idea, I think if I did it, I would end up hating it, simply because I'd have to remove the bag every time I wanted to open/raise the seat. Do you think your small Givi top box would hold a layered, armoured jacket (think "winter coat")? I know myself, and if I were to get a top box, I'd probably end up getting a larger one, which would give the exact look I'm trying to avoid. I'm getting close to landing on "who cares...get what you need..."
Darth Emma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Darth Emma »

Kermit wrote:Mel, I like your idea of the backrest/bag combo, and it's one I've considered. As much as I like the idea, I think if I did it, I would end up hating it, simply because I'd have to remove the bag every time I wanted to open/raise the seat. Do you think your small Givi top box would hold a layered, armoured jacket (think "winter coat")? I know myself, and if I were to get a top box, I'd probably end up getting a larger one, which would give the exact look I'm trying to avoid. I'm getting close to landing on "who cares...get what you need..."

You could always leave the top box home when you don't need it. They come off pretty easily with the key.

I've had the same thoughts you have about the top box. I don't like the look of most of them. I might get a Givi though and only put it on the bike when I know I'll need it.

In the meantime, I have a couple of "Rok Straps" (bungee-type straps, but nicer and won't scratch my bike) to hold a bag to the seat if I need to carry something that won't fit under the seat. But, it isn't secure.
Rides 2014 Honda Forza, 2012 Honda Ruckus