F a s t Rack

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: F a s t Rack

Post by you you »

PKrellner wrote:
gn2 wrote:Epic fail.
I gotta agree with gn2 on this one. Ugly as hell.

It does have a touch of the desktop side panel about it
Honda4me

Post by Honda4me »

Looks like a half baked idea. Bungee cord, net, tail pack, even a converted tank bag all better ideas. Plus don't like the seat fixing. Why not just fit a normal rack? or if it's for ad-hoc use use any of the aforementioned.

I'd sooner strap a milk carton than use that but that's just me.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hey Kermit! I'm curious, are you going to give this rack a try?
Found this too.....Rok Straps! These look like the way-to-go in securing stuff! Anybody try these yet?
Here's a quick demo video:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hmmm....I can't see the video ^^^^
Can you? Wazz up? :roll:
Okay, never mind. There it is!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Post by Kermit »

I have not yet ordered the Fast Rack...still a bit undecided. I'm looking at the Biker's Friend bags, which are so stiff that they wouldn't need a rack to sit straight on the seat.

I can see the Rok Straps video. I actually sent them a couple of emails a few days ago and have yet to hear back with an answer to my question. On a side note, I was a bit surprised to see them marketing dog leashes made of stretchable/bungee-like material. That seems dangerous to me - what if the dog is pulling hard, and the person accidentally loses their grip? You could put an eye out with that!
Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Post by Kermit »

WhiteNoise, I did go ahead and order the Fast Rack. Will post pics when I receive it.
Darth Emma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Darth Emma »

WhiteNoise wrote:Hey Kermit! I'm curious, are you going to give this rack a try?
Found this too.....Rok Straps! These look like the way-to-go in securing stuff! Anybody try these yet?

Yep. I use them all the time. I have a couple of sets. They are high-quality and made to NOT scratch the paint like some bungees do.

They make them in different lengths and widths. The ones in the video are these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014G ... ZQZPWJAWEH

I also have a smaller set (for strapping smaller items). They are shorter and aren't quite as wide as the other set:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ET ... UTF8&psc=1
Rides 2014 Honda Forza, 2012 Honda Ruckus
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Those Rok Straps are cool! I use bungees, which are way less versatile and more likely to fall off. I might have to look into ordering some.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

:D Wait! I hear jingling...No, not money! but Santa!
Are ya'll making a list?
Winter is a great time to plan those PCX trimmings! :D Time to plug-in your hat and start thinking!
Grow up? N e v e r! We're Scooter-Kids!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

K o o l Kermit! Anxious to hear and see what you share! Hope it works out for you as planned :P

Darth Emma, oh good! You have them :) Recommendations are always better than any old picture or ad. Do you think the wider of these two straps will work with this Fast Rack? Can you tell by looking? Thanks for sharing the links? I just put both items in my Amazon shopping cart.
Santa will probably check there first ;)
Darth Emma
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Darth Emma »

You just need to be able to get the loop on the RokStrap through the slot on your Fast Rack. It looks to me like they'll work.
Rides 2014 Honda Forza, 2012 Honda Ruckus
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

8) Good to hear! We'll see what Kermit does :)
In the meantime, I thought I'd toss some loops in the mix
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (57 KiB) Viewed 2210 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have the ROK Straps. I am waiting until we park the scooters for the winter. Then I am going to install them so that they will be permanent on the PCX. I will provide pictures when I have completed my experiment. :-) you are welcome to help me with them, Dave.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Sure Mel. We should go ride soon too, before it gets too cold. Nice day to ride today. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Post by Kermit »

I ordered the Fast Rack, and it has arrived. Overall, I kinda dig it, and I will be keeping it.

I had read a review elsewhere that talked about how it was a little rough in places and needed to be filed. I do not find that to be the case at all. The one I received is smooth as a baby's butt, as they say. It's nice and thick, and looks and feels like a high-quality piece of finished metal with "strategically placed" holes in it.

I had very low expectations for the velcro straps and had every intention of buying replacement nylon straps with buckles to replace them...but alas, those velcro strips are far better than I anticipated. They stick very, very well to each other; they just aren't as thick as the velcro I'm accustomed to, and that's why my expectations were low. But they are better than I'm used to. (Note to self: they also stick very, very well to knit sweaters.)

Now for the fit: It is exactly the right size to stiffly hold the sissy bar bag I bought. The straps are nice and snug, with the back one being a lot more snug (won't move at all) on my seat than the front one, but that may very well be because I didn't spend much time trying to tighten the front one. Regardless, the thing will not move. At all. It fits on the PCX seat very nicely. But I will say that I have to push the seat down a bit harder than usual now to get it to latch closed, most likely because I have the back velcro strips going through the latch.

I know many of you would never buy/use one of these in a million years, but that's kind of how I feel about rear trunks on the PCX, and this is a viable alternative. If you don't find it offensive, and you have a need for something like this, I would recommend it.

Here are pics:
Attachments
FastRack5.jpg
FastRack5.jpg (239.44 KiB) Viewed 2167 times
FastRack4.jpg
FastRack4.jpg (316.01 KiB) Viewed 2167 times
FastRack3.jpg
FastRack3.jpg (224.71 KiB) Viewed 2167 times
FastRack2.jpg
FastRack2.jpg (303.3 KiB) Viewed 2167 times
FastRack1.jpg
FastRack1.jpg (287.15 KiB) Viewed 2167 times
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hey Kermit that does look like a perfect fit for your luggage. I'm just wondering if the two straps are enough to hold a full bag. I've been looking closer at the area underneath the seat between the hump bolts and came up with an idea for a tie down point. Using this not-so-familiar piece of hardware http://www.grainger.com/product/Safety- ... s_pp=false would make the tie point. I'm not sure about the size of it or if this would actually work, but here's my thinking. Drill a hole (the size of the pin) through the bridge that lies between the hump bolts, then slip the pin through, and lock the safety on the end. Done. How's that sound? Will this idea work? Need your opinions, I can take it (o: (o;
Thank you so much for the pictures Kermit, greatly appreciated.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

This may help my explanation, a pic of my seat underneath (pay no attention to the big bag hooks, this mount would Not be for them) It's the sloppy sketching that counts :P youz guys get the idea right?
Close to where the arrow points is where I'd drill for the pin mount. Did I mention that the pin is stainles steel? SS is the best! Hmm..but one type is better than another, right? Is 18/8 the better of them?
Okay gotta catch some zzzz's....Big Holiday round the bend. Thanks for reading. night ;)
Attachments
Hole drilled & Safety Pin slipped thru bridge  between the hump bolts (stainless steel preferred).jpg
Hole drilled & Safety Pin slipped thru bridge between the hump bolts (stainless steel preferred).jpg (39.58 KiB) Viewed 2146 times
Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Post by Kermit »

WhiteNoise wrote:Hey Kermit that does look like a perfect fit for your luggage. I'm just wondering if the two straps are enough to hold a full bag.
White Noise, maybe we're thinking about this differently, but for me, the two straps that came with the Fast Rack will only hold the Fast Rack...then I would use other luggage straps to hold the bag to the Fast Rack. That seems so basic, though, that I suspect that wasn't really your question. Are you concerned about the rack staying in place with a full bag on it? If that's your question, then here's my answer: the rear strap is super-tight inside the seat latch...it's going nowhere, with or without weight on it. The front strap is snug, too, but not "tight" like the rear strap. I could probably make it tighter...I just wanted to do a quick install to get an idea about whether I wanted to keep the rack or not.

I, too, have been thinking about ways to make the seat work better for luggage. One thought I had was to attach something to the seat bolts themselves. I don't know what that would be, as I have spent zero time looking for something like that, but by using the seat bolts, you would not have to drill a hole through the seat and risk decreasing the integrity/strength of the seat.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

No, I get it about the rack and "it's" own straps. I was talking about how secure a full bag would be strapped on the rack. By midway you understood what I was trying to say 8)
Now what's your plan on securing your bag to the rack? Velcro or maybe something like the Rok straps or ???? Bunge's (sp?)
Looks like we're on the same page wondering about those seat bolts. They seem to say, "mod me" when I look at them, they have for awhile. There's got to be a way to create a tie point there. So you're thinking that my drilling a hole through that bridge area will weaken the seat pan? Yeah?? Hmmm
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

I use a "plank" style rack on the pillion seat for my CBR250R. Solo touring bikes ride better when the load is forward and it is more aero which is important on a 13hp bike like the PCX. I have a few different waterproof bags to choose from. The largest one holds 110 liters and 50 pounds of camping gear.
And you can easily take it off to use on different bikes.
Of course locking hard storage is even better.