front brake feels jerky/creaky when pressed hard

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

front brake feels jerky/creaky when pressed hard

Post by Cracksta »

Hi guys,

This is not really a big problem but wanted to check with you guys, this started happening probably a week ago, I'll try my best to explain.

When I press my front brakes hard, when i'm squeezing it feels jerky like its creaking but I can feel it, there is no sound.

Bike stops fine, the front brake reservoir has a small bubble which I guess means the front has started to wear down a little as it use to be full, its not near the min mark so fluid is fine I guess.

I was hoping it just be the cold and I need to lube the handle aream its a bit cold to bleed it but I guess it could wait 4 months till my next service?

Any advice, its just a minor annoyance more than anything.

Thanks
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: front brake feels jerky/creaky when pressed hard

Post by DAB »

Cracksta wrote:Hi guys,

This is not really a big problem but wanted to check with you guys, this started happening probably a week ago, I'll try my best to explain.

When I press my front brakes hard, when i'm squeezing it feels jerky like its creaking but I can feel it, there is no sound.

Bike stops fine, the front brake reservoir has a small bubble which I guess means the front has started to wear down a little as it use to be full, its not near the min mark so fluid is fine I guess.

I was hoping it just be the cold and I need to lube the handle aream its a bit cold to bleed it but I guess it could wait 4 months till my next service?

Any advice, its just a minor annoyance more than anything.

Thanks
How many miles?, age?
The brake pistons on some Hondas need quite regular greasing/cleaning when used in winter/ salty conditions.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Are the pads free in the caliper? Check the disc for warping also. What does the rear feel like? It's a combi brake so the front works at 30% as well as the rear.
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

hello,

CBS brake feels fine.

2012 (62 reg) done almost 6k miles, yes its ridden everyday.

I think it might be air in the front brakes, could be wrong though, if I'm pump the front brake the creaky feeling is gone, only till I move the bike forward then its back again.

The creaky feeling is only when I brake hard or apply firm pressure, its the same creaky feeling every time.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Cracksta wrote:hello,

CBS brake feels fine.

2012 (62 reg) done almost 6k miles, yes its ridden everyday.

I think it might be air in the front brakes, could be wrong though, if I'm pump the front brake the creaky feeling is gone, only till I move the bike forward then its back again.

The creaky feeling is only when I brake hard or apply firm pressure, its the same creaky feeling every time.

Fork oil needs changing?
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

To be more specific, the creakiness can only be felt on my right hand, as in when I apply the brakes.

The bike itself doesn't jerk etc

I do think its just air in the lines, what fluid should I get for these bikes? I might as well bleed the front and top up the fluid.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

Cracksta wrote:To be more specific, the creakiness can only be felt on my right hand, as in when I apply the brakes.

I do think its just air in the lines, what fluid should I get for these bikes? I might as well bleed the front and top up the fluid.
Squirt a little WD40 where the lever meets the break cylinder, and then work the lever awhile.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

DAB wrote:
Cracksta wrote:To be more specific, the creakiness can only be felt on my right hand, as in when I apply the brakes.

Squirt a little WD40 where the lever meets the break cylinder, and then work the lever awhile.
I'll give it a go but what make me think its still air in the line is, when i'm stationary and pump the front brakes, this cures it but as soon as I pull away and stop, its back.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Air shouldn't have had a chance to intrude, that's odd.

The PCX takes standard DOT3/4 fluid, from any auto store.

If you have air in your brakes, that is generally not from wear, but from a leak somewhere. It seems unlikely. The procedure to bleed the brakes is pretty simple -- do you have the service manual? I can upload photos of the relevant pages.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

Hmm... perhaps my front brake pads are worn?

how long before you changed your front pads?
wingerr

Post by wingerr »

Old thread, but for reference purposes-
Those symptoms can be due to the brake fluid losing its lubricity; if you flush the system with fresh brake fluid it should feel smooth again. The master cylinder piston doesn't slide as smoothly when the fluid gets old and contaminated, so pulling on the lever hard causes a jerky stop/start feel as the piston slides and sticks.