NC700/CBR125/250/500

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

tenpastnine

NC700/CBR125/250/500

Post by tenpastnine »

Hello, noticed a fair amount of interest on here with the NC700's and the CB500's and having ridden both and my dad owning a NC700 and my brother having owned a CBR125,250 and now a 500 i thought i would share some of there experiences regarding the bikes with day to day use.

Both my brother and dad use there bikes daily for work and make lots of very short journeys in town, they do between 7 and 9,000miles a year.
Both there bikes get serviced every 4-5,000miles regardless of the Honda schedule.

The NC700, my dad previously owned a NC700S manual witch after about 6months the paint started to peel off the headlight surround, however Honda agreed to repair it on warranty, then after trying a Automatic he changed it for the NC700X automatic.
He has done around 5,000miles and has had to replace both tyres (Honda say this is because they are not a pure road tyre on the X and they ware faster with road use - now replaced with road tyres)
Rear break pads(automatic, higher use is to be expected)
Gear selector button became faulty (warranty claim in progress)
Key snapped due to in my opinion a badly designed 'tank storage' opening mechanism putting additional pressure on the key and is fairly common, however apparently this cant be claimed on warranty and the £60 locksmith to remove the key and £40 for the new blank is not Honda's responsibility.
Also fairly minor, doesn't come with a rear huger and on a wet road expect to get covered, thou Honda make a replacement panel that widens the under guard by about a inch either side, I think this should have been fitted stranded or as a recall.
However its generally a nice bike to ride, i rode the manual and kept red lining it because it doesn't have the revs you expect with a bike, but my dad got use to it fine and loves riding it.
The Automatic is a very strange experience but very laid back, much like ridding a big PCX really!

There isn't really a lot to say about the CBR125R or 250, both bikes served there purpose well and never missed a beat or needed anything that wasn't a basic service item, like you expect with any Honda.
CBR500R is a joy to ride, quicker then i expected it to be, very smooth and well balanced and feels light and nimble and is also much better looking then the CBR125 and 250.
Only had about 200miles on it so can't say to much yet, but ill keep anyone that's interested posted.
But once again the huger is a optional extra and just shouldn't be! - I hope this isn't a new trend for Honda.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Re: NC700/CBR125/250/500

Post by sendler2112 »

I own a PCX150, CBR250R, Ninja250, and a Ninja650. I had a 30 mile demo on the CBR500R and I agree. It is an amazingly smooth and dialed in bike. The modern twin with a balance shaft is so smooth and fires up so quickly and silently with the ACG type (same as the PCX) gearless starter, you can barely tell it is running. The clutch, trans, and brakes are like silk. It has very quiet air around the front bodywork and perfect highway manners with well balanced ergonomics. Although it is a bit head forward for longer cross country travel where you will want to adopt my technique of leaning down on a tall tank bag to get the weight off your hands. The CBR500R has a good price point between the CBR250R which may be too small and slow cross country for riders over 90kg/ 190 pounds, and the Ninja650 which has funny ergos and a clunky trans and lots of vibes but can get good fuel economy if you short shift it. The Fuel consumption of the Honda 500's exceptional, as are all of the new Honda's, showing an average of 65 mpgUS, 27 km/liter, which is just 10% less than most heavier riders get on the 250R. Even if my lifetime 18,000 miles of hypermiling on the CBR250R shows 93 mpgUS, 40 km/l. Each of Honda's new bikes fills a perfect niche from the PCX150, Forza, CBR250R, 500 family, and 700 family. Great work Honda.
tenpastnine

Post by tenpastnine »

I agree with everything you said there,
Yes Honda really are the leaders with fuel economy, the CBR125 was getting around 140mpg the 250 about 100 and the 500 and the NC700 both get high 60's witch is expectational for there size.
The 2007 Suzuki GSR600, witch is pretty much a naked commuter would get mid to high-30's if your careful with it!

For a everyday city commuter bike i would go for the CBR250, i feel it is the perfect balance of having the power to pull away with upright handle bars and great fuel economy.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

For a cheap commuter the Inazuma 250 is possibly better value than a CBR250.
But neither are as suited time task as a scooter.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
tenpastnine

Post by tenpastnine »

gn2 wrote:For a cheap commuter the Inazuma 250 is possibly better value than a CBR250.
But neither are as suited time task as a scooter.
Totally forgot about the Inazuma if I am honest, never ridden one myself, if you have then please give us any feedback ill be interested to know what there like.
Being a twin also the Inazuma is probably a little smoother, im not sure how the economy figures compare.
Inazuma is considerably cheaper to buy though.