Variators for increased speed,

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Variators for increased speed,

Post by SmellyTofu »

It's more to do with the belt at the bottom of the variator a tad too loose. It's pretty normal unless it's shaking violently. Mine does it but I've got to be looking out for it and it's only got 1500km.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Why do they advise changing the belt also when you change the variator?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

Mel46 wrote:Why do they advise changing the belt also when you change the variator?
I believe it is because some after market variators have a wider gear ratio range. In other words the variator can open up and close a bit more than stock.
Because of this, the stock belt just cannot handle that range of motion for long.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Mel, as slickvic said the ratio is wider than the stock setup so there is an increased amount of stress and load on the belt. I have actually heard of pickin up 1-2mph just by swapping the belt due to belt stretch at higher speeds. That will be my first test, swapping the Daytona reinforced belt I got with the factory belt to see if there is any difference.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Mgalutia88 wrote:belt stretch
More like belt squish. A worn belt is narrower than a new belt and so, doesn't climb up the front pulley as high for any given movement of the variator.
Some high speed variators may require a longer belt if they have a bigger diameter so that the belt can move out all the way without bottoming out at the rear pulley.
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by buddy1976 »

Hi people,

I have only just registered but have been reading this forum since i purchased my 2013 125 esp pcx
from a honda dealer here in the uk back in March 2013.

I thought i'd share my experience of the variators i have used.

1st Stock original rollers were 18g had slow acceleration with a top speed of 65mph(on speedo) or 105kph

2nd stock with 12g rollers much better 0-50mph speed than stock with the same top speed of 65mph but 50-65mph seemed to take an age

3rd due to my previous experience using one in my old honda dylan 125 a few years ago i decided to buy a malossi multivar 2000 using the 10.5g rollers
the improvements were great, 0-60mph seemed very quick then it reached a top speed of 70mph i could even cruise at 60mph up hills
that stock would struggle to hit 45mph up!

I have tried 11g dr pulley sliders in the multivar with a small loss in acceleration and top speed down to 67mph.
I have also tried 12.5g rollers in the multivar as it seemed over revvy with the 10.5g that came with it but this decreased acceleration
and seemed a lot slower on take off.
11.5g gram seemed a happy medium and i have used these for the winter period but will be using the 10.5gr for less icy roads from spring

4th I have also just purchased the takegawa variator from webike and have fitted it with a new drive belt and new dna air filter and it seems a lot slower on acceleration(much better than stock though) at the moment compared to the multivar and a top speed of 67mph but i will post again after using for a few weeks when the parts have run in.

My impact wrench has died on me so will be keeping the takegawa in for a while until i get a new wrench but will be going back
to my multivar with 10.5g as soon as my wrench is delivered(11.5g if the roads get to icey here)

I seem to get belt shudder with all options except for stock(when new not been back to stock since 1st few weeks though) so will be looking for a small washer to prevent this.

Has anyone else tried any other variators in the 125 esp yet?
If so can you post your impressions?

Thanks.

Happy modding!
Honda forza 125 2019
Malossi multivar 2000 with 8.5gr rollers
Yellow malossi contra spring
Malossi delta clutch and bell
Malossi special kevlar belt
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust
BC BCTX7L-FP-S LiFePO4 Battery

Honda Pcx 125 esp 2012 uk model
Malossi Multivar 10.5g rollers
Malossi White Contra Spring
Malossi yellow clutch springs
Daytona reinforced belt
ADVANCEPro Large Diameter Drive Face
ADVANCEPro PCX125 Fi High Rigidity Bearing Slider
DNA Performance air filter
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by buddy1976 »

O yea forgot to mention i purchased a Ermax+25 screen which helped a lot with wind resistance and that improved my acceleration to top speed.
All of my mods have been tested for at least 2 weeks traveling at least 200 miles per week except the takegawa that has been used for 100 miles up to now.
Honda forza 125 2019
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust

Daytona reinforced belt
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by buddy1976 »

Update on my takegawa variator for my 125 esp 2013

Top speed now exceeds the malossi by 2mph(72mph on the clock)
Acceleration has improved since run in but still no where near the malossi multivar

My verdict is for the 125 esp model the malossi multivar is the best variator for acceleration and hill speeds. the takegawa is better for top speed gain but not by a lot.

Back in goes my multivar!
Honda forza 125 2019
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust

Daytona reinforced belt
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

buddy1976 wrote:Update on my takegawa variator for my 125 esp 2013

Top speed now exceeds the malossi by 2mph(72mph on the clock)
Acceleration has improved since run in but still no where near the malossi multivar

My verdict is for the 125 esp model the malossi multivar is the best variator for acceleration and hill speeds. the takegawa is better for top speed gain but not by a lot.

Back in goes my multivar!
Takegawa variator needs a shim of at least .7mm to 1mm in thicknes to improve takeoff speeds and remove the initial takeoff shudder if present. Also the 10g weights supplied with it are tad too heavy in my opinion as it revs just below 8k rpm around 7700rpm,so just enough to lose valuable 1-2sec to 62mph...I found that with stock exhaust,ideal weight is 9 to 9.5g, with the aftermarket exhaust they drop further down to ideal 8.5g. Thats when Takegawa vario gives its maximum best performance.

All credit to Malossi though, they are pretty good at their game, so im sure they have a ripper of an vario as well.....
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

Pcxdemon wrote: as it revs just below 8k rpm around 7700rpm,so just enough to lose valuable 1-2sec to 62mph..
So what's the current theory? It would seems that keeping the engine at maximum torque is not as good as keeping it nearer maximum power.

I've always wondered.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Whether hp or tq 8000 rpm is the magic number for our scoots.
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by buddy1976 »

Cheerz pcxdemon, i do have slight belt shudder from 5 to 15mph so will try the shim as soon as my new variator tool arrives. What weight dr pulley sliders would you recommend in the takegawa? i have already ordered 11gm i'm thinking now they may be a bit heavy so thinking about ordering some lighter dr pulley sliders and do a 50/50 mix with the 11, what weight combination would you recommend trying? i have a new stock belt,stock exhaust at the moment but have a performance filter with snorkel removed from air box will be getting a downpipe made soon for my leo vince 4road pot i had on my old honda dylan. Also i am thinking of getting a performance clutch but not sure on how much this will benefit my ride to warrant the cost. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Cheerz
Honda forza 125 2019
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust

Daytona reinforced belt
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

buddy1976 wrote:Cheerz pcxdemon, i do have slight belt shudder from 5 to 15mph so will try the shim as soon as my new variator tool arrives. What weight dr pulley sliders would you recommend in the takegawa? i have already ordered 11gm i'm thinking now they may be a bit heavy so thinking about ordering some lighter dr pulley sliders and do a 50/50 mix with the 11, what weight combination would you recommend trying? i have a new stock belt,stock exhaust at the moment but have a performance filter with snorkel removed from air box will be getting a downpipe made soon for my leo vince 4road pot i had on my old honda dylan. Also i am thinking of getting a performance clutch but not sure on how much this will benefit my ride to warrant the cost. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Cheerz
Id get 8.5g in sliders...Reason is if you mix it with 11g you'll get 9.7g average and thats not too bad with stock exhaust but if you get the Leovince exhaust in that case you will be ready to go with 8.5g set. For the clutch,id keep the same but get Malossi red springs to lift shoe engagement to 4k rpm takeoff.Springs are cheap mod for the clutch without actually replacing the whole clutch. Be careful when ordering the springs for the clutch though,Malossi has two sets of red springs for Pcx, one part no. is for honda 'stock clutch' springs replacement and the other part no. is for 'Malossi clutch' springs.
I just read a review on Takegawa Torque spring and it had a good review performance wise,its cheap to get so id get that as well,its a good mod..

Cheers
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by buddy1976 »

Pcxdemon wrote:
buddy1976 wrote:Cheerz pcxdemon, i do have slight belt shudder from 5 to 15mph so will try the shim as soon as my new variator tool arrives. What weight dr pulley sliders would you recommend in the takegawa? i have already ordered 11gm i'm thinking now they may be a bit heavy so thinking about ordering some lighter dr pulley sliders and do a 50/50 mix with the 11, what weight combination would you recommend trying? i have a new stock belt,stock exhaust at the moment but have a performance filter with snorkel removed from air box will be getting a downpipe made soon for my leo vince 4road pot i had on my old honda dylan. Also i am thinking of getting a performance clutch but not sure on how much this will benefit my ride to warrant the cost. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Cheerz
Id get 8.5g in sliders...Reason is if you mix it with 11g you'll get 9.7g average and thats not too bad with stock exhaust but if you get the Leovince exhaust in that case you will be ready to go with 8.5g set. For the clutch,id keep the same but get Malossi red springs to lift shoe engagement to 4k rpm takeoff.Springs are cheap mod for the clutch without actually replacing the whole clutch. Be careful when ordering the springs for the clutch though,Malossi has two sets of red springs for Pcx, one part no. is for honda 'stock clutch' springs replacement and the other part no. is for 'Malossi clutch' springs.
I just read a review on Takegawa Torque spring and it had a good review performance wise,its cheap to get so id get that as well,its a good mod..

Cheers
Just installed the red clutch springs and theyve made a big difference even with the 11g sliders and the takgawa variator the acceleration is improved in a big way, even boy racers thrashing there souped up beemers are left behind at the lights(for the 1st 150 yards)
My next move will be putting the Malossi multivar back in, I get the feeling this will be a perfect match with the clutch springs I'll report back after testing. I am suprised there is not more people on this forum using the Malossi variator as I have found in the French forum club Pcx it seems its all they seem to use and swear by it(and the jcosta with mixed reports).

Also apart from reduced wear is there any other performance benefits in using an aftermarket belt?

Im still tempted to go the full hog with the 170cc big bore and all the trimmings but after I had a bad experience with my honda dylan 125 after a garage installed a 150 bore on that and had nothing but reliability issues from day 1 and I do rely on my scoot for a 60 mile daily commute.
If I go the full hog I'll probs go to my local honda dealer with the parts and get them to install all the parts in one go but before I decide I would be insterested to find out of any inplications or reliabilty issues I may face after the after market engine parts are installed, is it likely that the service intervals will be reduced?
I'll be keeping an eye on maddies 170 upgrade thread anyway I'm sure that'll help me make my decision as to touching the engine or not but any further advice or recommendations will be much appreciated.

Cheers
Honda forza 125 2019
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust

Daytona reinforced belt
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

My belt is getting bigger and bigger as I get older..
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

So, have you tried the Yuminashi variator, or is it available for the 125? I am considering the Yuminashi for my 150 so that I can get a little more top end. However, I don't want that shudder you talk about, so I need to know the specifics of what else I will need, aside from a reinforced belt, which I would get at the same time if I do get the variator.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Buddy1976 What is your top speed with the multivar?
mikelx5
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mikelx5 »

has anybody had a problem with the clutch getting to hot from the red springs
DISOBEDIENCE CREW
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

I know I haven't.
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by buddy1976 »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Buddy1976 What is your top speed with the multivar?
70mph on the clock
Honda forza 125 2019
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust