Newbie with a fresh 2014 pcx

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Damien

Newbie with a fresh 2014 pcx

Post by Damien »

Evening all. Just thought I'd do the polite thing of introducing myself.

I'm Damien, from the UK and now living I'm Vietnam. Have a lot of experience with modifying cars and bikes, wanted a pcx for a while but being used models are expensive with limited or no service I decided to buy new.

Anyway, the bike...
uploadfromtaptalk1391791184684.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1391791184684.jpg (71.06 KiB) Viewed 2706 times
Pretty happy with it. Clocked 101km in the past few days. Extremely comfy and despite being just the 125 model it seems marginally faster in comparison to what it replaced (2012 Honda lead 110cc)

I'll probably run it in for a few months while I begin ordering the toys to build up the engine a bit... Not because I expect any real performance (I have cars and motorbikes for that), just for the fun of it really.

Anyone else have a 2014 model yet?
2014 PCX 125
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Newbie with a fresh 2014 pcx

Post by khaosaming »

Welcome to the forums, Damien.

Don't be shy. Let us see more pics of your new ride. Lots of pics, we just love pics. You are propably the first confirmed buyer of the new 2014 PCX, so that's why a short review would be in place.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
andy

Post by andy »

welcome aboard
illegal
Regular User
Regular User

Post by illegal »

Welcome and please share more photos :)
2013 Honda PCX 125
http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/569523.html
Damien

Post by Damien »

It's 1.30am here in Hanoi but i'll get some up tomorrow for all to see.

All the lights on it are LED and are a huge improvement on pretty much any other bike on the market.

The speedometer is electroluminescent backlit with the needle riding the outside diameter of the dial.

Less space under the seat that Lead we had before but more than the Honda zoomer or hornet!

This is the first bike I've had with the start stop functionality which is pretty nice. Also the starter motor is silent, same as on the Honda Zoomer. Apparently (please don't quote me) but it is a dual function starter/generator?

Riding:
When riding the bike you are in a completely upright position, I'm 5'7" and weight about 70kgs.. There is no need to lean forward or back, Extremely well thought out. Despite not having the hump in comparison to the old PCX, there is a very predominant feeling of separation of rider and pillion. Similar in feeling to an old vespa sprint with the saddle type seat if that makes sense. Again very firm but comfortable with a slight offering of back support.
Acceleration is effortless and snappy with you give it a good twist. The brakes are a tad disappointing. Given the larger size of the bike it doesn't seem to be treated with the larger or dual brakes that the Honda SH has, Surprising as I would consider this a 'premium' scooter.

Now that I have mentioned it the brakes do seem a let down and definitely now something I will look into replacing/upgrading. I use the bike with my wife and Hanoi traffic is pretty bad, lack of road safety, traffic lights, assholes etc so brakes do get hit hard regular.

Suspension is firm, yet handles the shitty roads here with ease. No dramas, knocks, bumps or rattles (for now anyway) when going through potholes. In the morning I will confirm the tyre sizes. I have the brochure for the bike which I can upload if anyone wants to see, it is in Vietnamese so I don't have much of a clue what it says but there is technical data and colour options which you will be able to make out.
2014 PCX 125
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

So Honda ditched the hump!

Your scoot looks great - I would love to see what LED headlights would do.

Congrats on the new wheels.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Welcome, looks great... I wonder when the US will get the new model?

Sure I would like to see the brochure, upload please ;)
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

The first one we've spotted in the wild! Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing. :D

Get pics of everything and upload them, the new model looks awesome. The lines are much sharper and the bike looks more polished in my opinion.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Damien

Post by Damien »

As promised (sorry for the bad weather). Let me know if anyone wants any specific pictures :)

http://s343.photobucket.com/user/QuackS ... ibrary/pcx

*click the pictures to view it full size*

Enjoy :)

I'll get some pictures this evening when it's darker so you can appreciate the awesomeness of the sexy new lighting! ;)
2014 PCX 125
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 (2015)
Color: White

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

Very cool. :)

Thanks for sharing. :)
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Are the rear shocks any different from the '13 model? If you are unfamiliar with those I'll ask if they bottom easy or seem like an actual good shock instead of a stabilized spring?
Damien

Post by Damien »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Are the rear shocks any different from the '13 model? If you are unfamiliar with those I'll ask if they bottom easy or seem like an actual good shock instead of a stabilized spring?
With 2.5 people on the bike we've encountered no problems. The shocks seem really cool. I'd prefer a mono-shock for style but the dual setup works perfectly as it should.
2014 PCX 125
bountybuddy
Regular User
Regular User

Post by bountybuddy »

Welcome. Very nice looking scoot. Thanks for sharing. My wife and I are in the Philippines right now. I'm thinking about buying a PCX 150 if I can sell some motorcycles. Ride safe my friend and enjoy.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Welcome! Great attitude about mods ... because you want to. Too many seem to get caught up with weighing the pros and cons of it. Why not do just because you want to and you enjoy it. That's what I do. Are accessories as inexpensive in Vietnam as they are in Thailand?
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Damien

Post by Damien »

kramnala58 wrote:Welcome! Great attitude about mods ... because you want to. Too many seem to get caught up with weighing the pros and cons of it. Why not do just because you want to and you enjoy it. That's what I do. Are accessories as inexpensive in Vietnam as they are in Thailand?
Thanks, I've had enough cars and bikes to have surpassed most trends and desires. If you like something then just do it and enjoy it, too many people waste their time researching on the internet and never cracking on and just enjoying it.

Accessories in Vietnam are shockingly limited. Either the most tasteless tat you can imagine (tin engine covers, overly fake cheap exhausts, led/hid light kits) or blisteringly expensive equally tasteless shit (gold plated billet CNC handlebars).

Ironically a lot of parts that destined for the UK that come from China are more expensive to cross the border to Vietnam. I have ordered a few bits for other bikes I built here for fun but I won't bother doing that again. There are shops in Thailand which will ship to Vietnam, however customs here are a bit 'dodgy' at the best of times ;)

I was looking at the 164cc kits but I know it won't be enough for what I would want... I'm more drawn towards trying to fit a turbo. That and dual disk front end and disk brake rear, probably use parts from a Yamaha Majesty/SH300.

I'm moving house in the next few weeks so once we've done that and settled in (and I've sold some of my other bikes) I'll begin part collecting.

More pictures as promised of the fabled LED lights... (sorry for the bad quality, it was raining-but dedication huh!)
2014 PCX 125
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

On your first set of pictures I can't tell what the 4th picture down is.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

^ Looks like the rear wheel.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
Damien

Post by Damien »

Mel46 wrote:On your first set of pictures I can't tell what the 4th picture down is.
Showing the Enkei logo on the rear wheel.
2014 PCX 125
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Damien wrote:
Mel46 wrote:On your first set of pictures I can't tell what the 4th picture down is.
Showing the Enkei logo on the rear wheel.

I don't understand what the significance is?
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

He's just having fun. Enkei is a famous aftermarket wheel manufacturer. All our factory PCX wheels say Enkei