Help with the engine oil level dipstick.

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

KrisoUK

Help with the engine oil level dipstick.

Post by KrisoUK »

Hey there,

I just changed my honda pcx's engine oil, but I'm not quite sure which mark should I follow exactly on the dipstick and it's not really described precisely in the owner's manual.
Does it have to be to the upper part of the tinniest bit on the bottom of the dipstick or to the dot part mark on the upper part?

My apologies if that's a silly question :oops:

- Regards, Chris.
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: Help with the engine oil level dipstick.

Post by dustin91 »

Best I can tell, as long as the oil level is in the cross-hatch area of the stick, you're good.
KrisoUK

Post by KrisoUK »

So just that tiny bit at the bottom of the dipstick? Any idea what's the point of the dot on the top?

Thank you for your answer and attention.
Lingwood
Year: 2012
Color: White

Post by Lingwood »

That is just the mark left by the ejector pin, it ejects the dipstick from the mould ;)
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Procedure for checking dipstick:
1. Warm up scooter -- ride at least a few km/mi.
2. Park scooter on centerstand on level ground.
3. Unscrew and remove dipstick, wipe clean with lint-free cloth.
4. Reinsert dipstick -- do not screw it in, but just put it all the way in before it has to be screwed.
5. Remove. Observe the reading. Operational oil level should be on the crosshatched section of the dipstick, ideally in the middle or top part of the range.

Too little oil is bad, the engine won't get enough oil. Too much oil is bad, the engine can bog down or have oil intrude into areas it shouldn't, or have excessive blowback into the air cleaner.

Hope that helps! If you want a how-to with pictures, I'd be glad to provide one, just ask. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

maddiedog wrote:Procedure for checking dipstick:
1. Warm up scooter -- ride at least a few km/mi.
2. Park scooter on centerstand on level ground.
3. Unscrew and remove dipstick, wipe clean with lint-free cloth.
4. Reinsert dipstick -- do not screw it in, but just put it all the way in before it has to be screwed.
5. Remove. Observe the reading. Operational oil level should be on the crosshatched section of the dipstick, ideally in the middle or top part of the range.

Too little oil is bad, the engine won't get enough oil. Too much oil is bad, the engine can bog down or have oil intrude into areas it shouldn't, or have excessive blowback into the air cleaner.

Hope that helps! If you want a how-to with pictures, I'd be glad to provide one, just ask. :)

Yeah, go one :D