20,000 mile update

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

20,000 mile update

Post by scisor34 »

055.JPG
055.JPG (43.65 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
I bought my PCX150 new in Sept of 2013 and surpassed the 20k mark on the way to work this morning so I thought I'd give an update on my experience. Living in southwest Florida, the weather allows me to commute 40 miles round trip to work year 'round. For those of you not familiar with SW Florida, it is ABSOLUTELY flat. I check my mpg every fill up, and average 98-106 mpg with the majority of my riding being between 45-65mph.

As far as maintenance, I changed the sparkplug, airfilter(was still very clean), and belt (top speed had dropped to about 63mph) at 15,000 miles, oil every 3-5k miles, 2 rear tires, and 1 front tire. When it comes time to change your stock tires, go with Michelin City Grip, they wear incredibly well compared to stock. I have never inspected the valves and she runs as good at the day I first brought it home.

I have the medium Givi windshield installed,(size smaller than Maddiedog's) and found it definitely helps with mpg and top speed, but does create a fair amount of buffeting. If you're just using your scoot to leasurely cruise around town, I wouldn't bother with the windshield, but if you need to get up to 68-69mph and want your fuel economy to improve, the extra buffeting is worth it in my opinion.

After 20,000 miles I can report I have not had one single issue with the PCX other than scraping the right side panel while "showing off" to friends leaning ridiculously far into a right hand turn. lol
239.JPG
239.JPG (205.54 KiB) Viewed 1457 times
If you're looking into a scooter in this size catagory, buy the PCX, you'll absolutely love it.
scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Re: 20,000 mile update

Post by scisor34 »

Oops, purchased in Sept. of 2012.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Great report. Thanks! I thought 20k miles seemed quite high for a '13 purchase o_O , thanks for the clarification on the '12 purchase date.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Ha! No valve check
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Great follow up, this should help some people wondering about maintenance and durability trust the bike more. I especially like this statement, since there was recently a discussion about this on another forum:
scisor34 wrote:I have never inspected the valves and she runs as good at the day I first brought it home.
I used to preach the "follow the maintenance schedule" crap, but the more my PCX ages and the more I talk to foreign or local riders who have just racked up miles, the less I think it matters. I checked my valves at about the 8000 mile mark, and they were spot on from the first adjustment still. Mind you, my valves were off at first service, but they've been good since. I'm just going to keep riding until the valves have issues (symptoms are cutting off at full power or difficulty starting).

Keep on racking up those miles! I'll probably hit 10k miles on mine around April. :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Wow! 20K miles! We purchased ours in August of 2012, and we haven't reached 7K yet. Of course, we live in the Atlanta, Georgia area, so our weather isn't nice all year around, like yours. We have a friend who lives in the Clearwater area and he says the weather is great, but then he is on the road all the time so doesn't stick around long enough to enjoy it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

You guys are putting me to shame. Not even 500 miles since August 1 of last year. Doesn't help that I have to take my 7th-grade daughter to school almost every day. Tried to do it on the scooter but we carry too much stuff--briefcase and lunch bag for me and huge book bag and gym bag for her. Poor PCX feels distinctly top heavy and overloaded with all that.

Looking at a Ural with sidecar tomorrow. Wife even joining me. That may be just the ticket!
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Post by willajabir »

Mel46 wrote:Wow! 20K miles! We purchased ours in August of 2012, and we haven't reached 7K yet. Of course, we live in the Atlanta, Georgia area, so our weather isn't nice all year around, like yours. We have a friend who lives in the Clearwater area and he says the weather is great, but then he is on the road all the time so doesn't stick around long enough to enjoy it.
Mel,
I'm just next door to ya and I have 2600 on my Forza I just bought 12/11/13.
I thought mine was low because I've sat a total of 3 weeks with mom plus the bad weather we've had.
I'm gettin cabin fever coz my 3 siblings refuse to rotate the schedule with me sitting with her...grrrrrrr
If I can get time off, I'll wear out a set of tires in 2-3 weeks with good weather.
Larry
2014 NSS300E born on 12/11/13
May the Forza be with you

my Forza pics: http://tinyurl.com/o9hqc4o
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

maddiedog wrote:Great follow up, this should help some people wondering about maintenance and durability trust the bike more. I especially like this statement, since there was recently a discussion about this on another forum:
scisor34 wrote:I have never inspected the valves and she runs as good at the day I first brought it home.
I used to preach the "follow the maintenance schedule" crap, but the more my PCX ages and the more I talk to foreign or local riders who have just racked up miles, the less I think it matters. I checked my valves at about the 8000 mile mark, and they were spot on from the first adjustment still. Mind you, my valves were off at first service, but they've been good since. I'm just going to keep riding until the valves have issues (symptoms are cutting off at full power or difficulty starting).

Keep on racking up those miles! I'll probably hit 10k miles on mine around April. :D
i'm guessing i was involved in that recent discussion on another forum! :geek:

congrats on 20,000 troublefree miles on a PCX!
scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Post by scisor34 »

It just does not get any more reliable than a small hp Honda engine and it's components. I forgot to mention rollers and front break pads were on back order at the 15,000 mile mark so it didn't get done, being the procrastinator that I am, I've had the parts for months, but haven't gotten around to installing them. I hate to jynx myself, but Honda reliability is second to none.