rear tyre

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

glynjroberts

rear tyre

Post by glynjroberts »

Just a little question? I've had my pcx one year, its done 4300 miles, the rear tyre looks worn! It has the irc 90/100x14 tyre on it, it feels smooth nearly slick down the centre. Does this tyre need changing?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: rear tyre

Post by Mel46 »

Yes. Most of these rear tires will last 7000 miles. However, if you are heavy on the throttle they could wear out a lot sooner. There is a wear mark on the tires. You should change the tire when that mark is level with the remaining tread. If you can no longer see the wear mark, you are well past time to change it. Try a Michelin City Grip for your next tire. They wear longer and really hold the road.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
glynjroberts

Post by glynjroberts »

Probably am a little heavy on the throttle, expressways and country lanes to and from work, WAP!
Bill smiths here I come, stung again.
Cheers Glyn
glynjroberts

Post by glynjroberts »

Just booked in £75 ouch!
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Did you get the Michelin City Grips? I have them and really like the way the bike handles with them.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
glynjroberts

Post by glynjroberts »

Yes that's what they recommended :)
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

I have to disagree with mel on the mileage. My stock IRC rear tire was bald at 3000 miles. I would consider my riding style normal or average. Changing the way you brake makes a big difference on the tires. I tended to favor the rear brake until i realized how bad it was wearing. Now that i favor the front brake the rear tire wears much less. Basically what i'm saying is your braking technique will effect tire wear much more than riding style.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Are stock IRC tires the same quality on all PCX scooters? We changed ours at 7,000 miles and the wear indicator still showed another 500 miles were left before we needed to change it. I have also read of others on this forum getting 6,000 miles on their rear tire, so I thought that we were normal.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

cessna151 wrote:Basically what i'm saying is your braking technique will effect tire wear much more than riding style.
Braking technique is a part of riding style.
You should aim not to use your brakes, read the road and control speed with the throttle.
Using the brakes just wastes fuel and wears out your tyres and brakes
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Post by scisor34 »

Don't use your brakes? Really? Riding around slow enough as to not have to use ur brakes is absolutely ridiculous. Tires and break pads are cheap.
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

Yup. I'm at 10,000 miles before I stored the PCX for winter. Still have the original rear tire, I believe I can get another 2000 miles. And during this time, watching prices on the city grips. I'll have to change out both front and rear. I do not use the rear brake unless I need more braking than the front can provide.

I do not advocate this kind of riding style, but I do it so I don't have to change the rear drum brake, and get the most even wear on the tires.

Once a week I check all my rides tire pressure. And fill the PCX to the recommend F29/R36 PSI
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

gn2 wrote:
cessna151 wrote:Basically what i'm saying is your braking technique will effect tire wear much more than riding style.
You should aim not to use your brakes, read the road and control speed with the throttle.
I was told on the CBT that you should slow down using your brakes as I warning to the road users behind you that your slowing down. .
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

scisor34 wrote:Don't use your brakes? Really? Riding around slow enough as to not have to use ur brakes is absolutely ridiculous.
I didn't say that you shouldn't use them at all.
Read what I wrote again.
Have another go at trying to work it out.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Alibally wrote:I was told on the CBT that you should slow down using your brakes as I warning to the road users behind you that your slowing down. .
Indeed, also some people advocate giving the brake light a couple of flashes.
If you roll off the throttle gently and decelerate gradually people behind are much less likely to be caught out than if you brake hard.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
Alibally wrote:I was told on the CBT that you should slow down using your brakes as I warning to the road users behind you that your slowing down. .
Indeed, also some people advocate giving the brake light a couple of flashes.
If you roll off the throttle gently and decelerate gradually people behind are much less likely to be caught out than if you brake hard.
gn2 wrote:

I agree. And you are probably going faster by reading the road. Non of this stop and zoom off again nonsense. Keep to high average speeds.