Front brake 'grinding'

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

ben
Regular User
Regular User

Front brake 'grinding'

Post by ben »

My front brake started making a grinding noise when i brake hard on it, like there was a worn pad. I replaced the pad and the brake fluid which stopped the noise for a week or so but now its come back again! Its got a new pad, the disk is fine, i cleaned the caliper with proper cleaner and cant see anything wrong!?!? Also when i pull the rear brake i can feel the grinding slightly come on with the combi brake engaging.

I would rather fix it myself but after 2 days of using the car im desperate to get the scoot back on the road!

Any ideas?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Front brake 'grinding'

Post by gn2 »

Does the noise happen with the right brake lever or just the left?
If its left lever only you've got dirt/dust in the rear hub, or the shoes are worn.
Rear wheel out and clean.
Did you strip your front caliper?
If so did you apply copper grease to the pins?
Was the old pad badly worn down?
If it was did you clean up any corrosion on the piston before pushing it back in?
Brake cleaner is the stuff you use before maintenance. ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
ben
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ben »

Its just the front brake, rear shoes are worn but in speck. The old pads were worn but still had the wear indicator ridges visible. It just started happening slowly, hard braking caused it at first the slowly needed less braking for it to grind.

Cleaned out all the front and back brakes and checked it all out, worked for a bit then came back slowly again. Changed the front pads and fluid, worked for a while but again slowly came back. Even cleaned up the locator pin thing that goes through the pads with wet and dry paper as the paint was a little pitted and rusty.

Sounds exactly like metal on metal yet i cant see any sign of wear or rubbing, disk has barely any wear on it.

Its very strange!
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Put the bike on the center stand and spin the rear tire and front tire (with the front wheel off of the ground) and check the front bearings also.