PCX 150 2013 stability and acceleration

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: PCX 150 2013 stability and acceleration

Post by you you »

Fizzy Rascal wrote:
you you wrote:
Fizzy Rascal wrote:I may be able to offer a 'comparison' here . . .

I'm currently having to run-in/break-in two bikes ready for a trip to Barcelona that myself and a few mates are doing.

Some details here: https://www.facebook.com/BarcelonaAndBack (please 'like'/'follow' the page ;))

I have a new (Dec 2013) Yamaha YBR 125 Custom and a new (Dec 2013) Honda PCX that I have to get miles/kms on and get them both to their first service before the trip.

Neither got ridden much from new as the weather was awful - but for a fair bit of March I've been putting about 30miles a day on each bike/scooter - I don't commute, I only ride for pleasure. The weather has been lovely here in rural France, so I've managed to get out a bit (inbetween the wife having me clean the driveways, mow the lawns and 'Cuprinol' my outside (wooden) garage etc. :))

So, I've ridden them both, back to back and the Honda PCX (remember mine is a 125) compares VERY favourably to the YBR. OK, the YBR isn't the quickest bike Yamaha ever made - I like them mostly because they're like a big Fizzie (FS1E) - and I love Fizzies. :D

The Honda is smoother and pulls away from lights/junctions that bit quicker too - as I'm not having to shift gears. My mate is going to be using the PCX for the trip and I think he's actually got the best deal - although, I DO love the Yammie, I REALLY LOVE this little PCX - so smooth. The YBR has a slight vibration at high revs (nothing wrong, just regular 'single cylinder' bike vibration) - the Honda is like silk. No gears, just point and squirt - and the combined braking means one only uses the left lever most of the time.

I own a LOT of small bikes and scooters - both 'classic' and new - my 'modern' stuff includes a Burgman 200, a Vespa 946 and a Vespa GT 300 Super Sport - the PCX is by far the smoothest ride - and actually the most 'fun' if I'm honest - despite (or maybe because of?) its size.

I've really fallen in love with this little scooter - and - as I wrote ^ - I think my mate who's using it for the trip has got the best deal. :)

Couple of pics . . . apologies for quality ('phone pics.)

PCX, YBR and Baby (200) Burger . . .

PCX . . .

YBR . . .

946 . . .

I don't know if this helps you or not - I'm lucky enough to have the choice - but if I HAD to use one daily/regularly - the PCX would get my vote. :)
Riding to Barcelona! Can I come?
Sure! :)

You serious? If so, I can sort out the details for you. :)
If I can, sounds like a laugh, can you pm me?
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 (2015)
Color: White

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

you you wrote:
No problem - I'll type it all out tomorrow and PM you dude. :)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Fizzy Rascal wrote:
you you wrote:
Excellent. Are you starting from the UK or France?
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

you you wrote:
Fizzy Rascal wrote:
you you wrote:
Excellent. Are you starting from the UK or France?
France for this one dude. The guys are flying to my place (cheapo Ryanair flights.)

:)
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

Fizzy Rascal wrote:
you you wrote:
You (should) have PM fellah! :)
stone

Post by stone »

Fizzy Rascal your 946 is just georgous! the white pcx too.
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

stone wrote:Fizzy Rascal your 946 is just georgous! the white pcx too.
Ta! :)

I like white (visible) scooters. :)
stone

Post by stone »

what is the monthly / yearly fees where you are at to own a bike? taxes, insurance, parking?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

You compared other scooters to the PCX, but how is the little burgh as apposed to the PCX? We are still waiting here in the USA to see the new Burgman 200. Once my wife and I see it we will have to decide whether we want to trade the PCX in or trade the B400 in.....or keep things as they are. My wife is worried that I am getting too old to keep riding the 400. I love it but she may be right. I think it has more to do with my medical issues and less to do with my age. In any case, I love my B400 but would love to see and try the new baby Burgman. Interestingly enough, yesterday we were at the dealer getting the rear tire changed on my B400 and we saw a couple of B650s in the shop room. Oh how I love the B650!! Hmmmm....what to do...
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

Mel46 wrote:You compared other scooters to the PCX, but how is the little burgh as apposed to the PCX? We are still waiting here in the USA to see the new Burgman 200. Once my wife and I see it we will have to decide whether we want to trade the PCX in or trade the B400 in.....or keep things as they are. My wife is worried that I am getting too old to keep riding the 400. I love it but she may be right. I think it has more to do with my medical issues and less to do with my age. In any case, I love my B400 but would love to see and try the new baby Burgman. Interestingly enough, yesterday we were at the dealer getting the rear tire changed on my B400 and we saw a couple of B650s in the shop room. Oh how I love the B650!! Hmmmm....what to do...
Hi Mel,

Hope you're well.

I've not done a lot of miles on the UH200 - because of having to run-in the other two (YBR and PCX) - so it's hard to really compare.

However, the PCX is definitely 'nippier' - it accelerates quicker and smoother than the Burgman to be honest - there's no 'lag' on the PCX (as I'm sure you know) - where the Burger scores is more torque and top end speed (mph/kmh) and it feels more 'planted' at those higher speeds. I bought it because I wanted something a little faster for longer trips (without getting a full 'maxi' like a 400 or 650) - but I am finding that for 99% of the runs/rides I make here (on small/rural French roads) the PCX is the best choice.

Once we've done this Barca trip - I can see me using the PCX more than anything else I have to be honest.

:)
cfrobw
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cfrobw »

iceman wrote:2nd half of this video shows it had good acceleration and is a great scooter for a 110 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWpp7wagGao
PCX 125 has better acceleration and top end so 150 should easily outclass it at the expense of mpg. I'd imagine most scooters 110 and over pull away really fast.
That's the US version of the Elite 110. I wish I still had mine Elite 110. I think it was the pest of what you would really call a scooter! Couldn't go over 55 unless some mods were made to it, but the storage space was great and you got get across town real easily with it and got a lot done!
-Rob

Currently own: 2013 PCX 150
Previously owned: 1987 Honda Elite 80, 1993 Honda Elite 80, 2008 Honda Elite 80, 2010 Honda Elite 110
6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

cfrobw wrote:
iceman wrote:2nd half of this video shows it had good acceleration and is a great scooter for a 110 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWpp7wagGao
PCX 125 has better acceleration and top end so 150 should easily outclass it at the expense of mpg. I'd imagine most scooters 110 and over pull away really fast.
That's the US version of the Elite 110. I wish I still had mine Elite 110. I think it was the pest of what you would really call a scooter! Couldn't go over 55 unless some mods were made to it, but the storage space was great and you got get across town real easily with it and got a lot done!
I initially wanted an elite 110, but my knees hit the handlebars.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

cfrobw wrote:
It's a UK version of the Elite and to be honest, a fantastic commuter - can almost match a PCX for take-off acceleration, only struggles during 35-50 part, but it 670mm wide so easy through traffic. The Elite wins for value - you get extra features and a much nicer dash and the pcx style key lock - all cut-back and for more money in the UK!