Takegawa Pcx 170cc

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Takegawa Pcx 170cc

Post by dem0nk1d »

Pcxdemon wrote:
wingz wrote:For combustion, I mean.
Kinda already done but i havent been trying to force it too much because i didnt have an afr meter so i couldnt tell if it would be too much for it. Ive got an afr meter now so i may have a play with forced intake sometime in the future..

Pcxdemon,

what did you use to create the scoop? I was thinking of trying the gy6 scoop.
wingz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Dark Silver

Post by wingz »

Where does that gy6 scoop go? Filter intake?
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

dem0nk1d wrote:
Pcxdemon wrote:
wingz wrote:For combustion, I mean.
Kinda already done but i havent been trying to force it too much because i didnt have an afr meter so i couldnt tell if it would be too much for it. Ive got an afr meter now so i may have a play with forced intake sometime in the future..

Pcxdemon,

what did you use to create the scoop? I was thinking of trying the gy6 scoop.
Old helmet visor,perfect fit with small modification..im thinking going electric fan behind radiator and pissing off the fan on the crank,that should make considerable diff.
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

Pcxdemon,

Old helmet visor,perfect fit with small modification..im thinking going electric fan behind radiator and pissing off the fan on the crank,that should make considerable diff.
Depending on full removal of the fan, there may be an imbalance on that side of the crank. Something to think about. Also I don't know if anyone offers a aftermarket fan, like they do in the Zuma world. They offer a multiple number of fans, that factor in flow and weight.
wingz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Dark Silver

Post by wingz »

I thought the scoop did the trick.
Why do you want to transfer load from the fan to the alternator and conversion losses to electricity and back?
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

wingz wrote:I thought the scoop did the trick.
Why do you want to transfer load from the fan to the alternator and conversion losses to electricity and back?
It did,but i want more...greedy?
Those little fans draw very little current,i doubt it would be a burden on the alternator. Im thinking having it on a switch so i can turn it on when im stationary at the lights,scoop should do the job while im moving along. Webike has a Koso Mini3 gauge thats a direct plug in for the existing thermostat sensor to monitor the engine temps.
About taking the fan off and causing the crank imbalance?! Lol i hardly doubt 20-30grams would make any diff or otherwise i would have had issues long time ago taking off nearly 100g of the variator side while fitting lighter weights,lighter outer pulley etc etc..
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

Hi there. I'm from Portugal and I have a 125 PCX.
In this moment it can reach 132 downhill. I have JCosta vario, an universal (conic?) filter, JCosta exhaust with no db killer, Iridium spark plug and bigger wind screen.
One of my problems is on slight uphills it struggles to pass 80 or take too much time to reach. On flats it struggles to go to 120 km/h. Strange for me...
JCosta is fast 0-80 but on 80's I can notice a drop on the rpm's so must be one of the problems.

What you suggest? Clutch tunig since mine is stock? Change vario? I know a guy who have a PCX 125 engine stock but with normal mod's like exhaust, filter, bla, bla, bla and it's a lot faster than mine on the same roads.

I show you a video:

I do the same up hill. Mine even if I take balance drops to 90... I can show the others vids that he do like more 10 or 20 km/h than me and I'm lighter than him.

He never told the secrets but one of the things that we know is he tweaked the vario: Polini!

So you can give a litle help to me Pcxdemon?

Best regards
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

Is it a Mk1 or a Mk2 125? I am assuming Mk2?
Did you buy and install the J Costa yourself? Or maybe you bought it and had the dealer install it.
What weights are you using? The ones that came with it?
How many Kms since you installed it?

The 80 kms thing you can fix. Your friend is not telling you everthing!
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

nribeiro wrote:Hi there. I'm from Portugal and I have a 125 PCX.
In this moment it can reach 132 downhill. I have JCosta vario, an universal (conic?) filter, JCosta exhaust with no db killer, Iridium spark plug and bigger wind screen.
One of my problems is on slight uphills it struggles to pass 80 or take too much time to reach. On flats it struggles to go to 120 km/h. Strange for me...
JCosta is fast 0-80 but on 80's I can notice a drop on the rpm's so must be one of the problems.

What you suggest? Clutch tunig since mine is stock? Change vario? I know a guy who have a PCX 125 engine stock but with normal mod's like exhaust, filter, bla, bla, bla and it's a lot faster than mine on the same roads.

I show you a video:

I do the same up hill. Mine even if I take balance drops to 90... I can show the others vids that he do like more 10 or 20 km/h than me and I'm lighter than him.

He never told the secrets but one of the things that we know is he tweaked the vario: Polini!

So you can give a litle help to me Pcxdemon?

Best regards
Hi nribeiro,
The video looks good to me.It has good power and speed...You could upgrade your torque drive (made by Kn Planning on Webike) that should improve your hill climbing power as it will prevent engine rpm drop around those speeds you mentioned 80+kmh....Otherwise if you want more power then big bore kit is in order. Rz Racing in Holland can help you with that one.
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

Depends on the angle of the hill? With a 5% hill you should be getting about between 92 kph and 102 kph depending on your weight. If the hill is steeper then you'll need to make some adjustment.

OP I sent you a PM if you send me an email address I'll send you the test results.
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

waspmike wrote:Is it a Mk1 or a Mk2 125? I am assuming Mk2?
Did you buy and install the J Costa yourself? Or maybe you bought it and had the dealer install it.

Hello and thanks for the answers guys.

The hill is more than 5% a lot more!!!

Mine is eSP that I bought new in 2013 and in the video it's the same. I don't know how he did it! That PCX is real fast even going 120 or little more on flats and when the road turns slightly downhill it goes fast to 130+... Faster than mine.
I installed the JCosta in the dealer but I made the maintenance. I already installed the lightest masses or sliders. It came with heavier ones.
My weight is 61kg. So I'm light. :D

This video it's mine. The same road than the vid before but I'm downhill and look the time it takes to go 130!

I was thinking to buy the torque drive but where and it is safe?! For a stock engine it will really help?
And the clutch? Should I install a slight stiffer contra spring for now on the stock clutch? It will help something?

Best regards
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

I'll agree with Pcxdemon on the torque driver upgrade, HOWEVER, I would not use the kn planning torque driver because the slots are longer and will extend your gearing too far. With my 150 esp with mods there is not enough power to use the extended gearing. Go with a different torque driver.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Mgalutia88 wrote:I'll agree with Pcxdemon on the torque driver upgrade, HOWEVER, I would not use the kn planning torque driver because the slots are longer and will extend your gearing too far. With my 150 esp with mods there is not enough power to use the extended gearing. Go with a different torque driver.
He has a 125esp? so should be ok,150 has a slightly longer gearing than a 125 thats why it would have affected you differently. But in all when i was testing stock vs kn planning and chameleon torque drivers,i honestly have to say there wasnt a that big increase in higher speed. Chameleon torque driver has a really long slots and that was no diff to either of the other two in top speeds. I dont think that there was any diff in slot lengths between the stock and kn planning but the only worth upgrade was that it had straight slot profile for what its really worth for upgrading as it eliminates the mid power drop/sag..
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

nribeiro wrote: I installed the JCosta in the dealer but I made the maintenance. I already installed the lightest masses or sliders. It came with heavier ones.
My weight is 61kg. So I'm light. :D

Should I install a slight stiffer contra spring for now on the stock clutch? It will help something?
What weights do you have? 8 gms?, 7.0 or 6.5?

The Mk2 (from 2012) 125 Esp uses 8.5 gms weights so you should not go much lower than about 8gms. Unless you have changed the camshaft to bring the power delivery further up the rev range.

Stock bike with J Costa going 8% down hill is about 127 kph with Michelin city grip tires, if you use IRC tires you would get about 130kph.

Does your friend also have a tall windscreen? As I said cut it down to about mirror height.

Sometimes all the manufacturing tolerances come together and some bikes/scooters/cars are faster than all the rest. Maybe he just got lucky or he has done something he is not telling you about?

J Costa is designed and supplied to be used with stock contra spring. If you change the contra spring you will have to go through all the set up with weights again.

There is no silver bullet! It is about building on each change to stock.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

nribeiro wrote:
waspmike wrote:Is it a Mk1 or a Mk2 125? I am assuming Mk2?

I was thinking to buy the torque drive but where and it is safe?!
Best regards
Yuminashi just went online shopping, you can buy directly from the website and get it shipped anywhere you want!

www.yuminashi.eu
chainsaw
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 150esp
Color: white/carbon

Post by chainsaw »

I was just checking out the new yuminashi site then and it looks good. I'm in Thailand at the moment and am catching up with reggy next week to grab some parts. I might have to grab another suitcase and fill it up me thinks :?
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

Thanks guys again. In the dealer they installed JCosta with 11gr or 10gr I think. A member from our forum told me that it was wrong and sold me the correct ones about 8.5gr. It really helped from 0-80km/h but after that it slows a lot... If I could get 120+ on flats easy... But no.

My wind screen it's about the same height as mirrors. I have the givi one.

I've ordered a RPM gauge so I can see what is really happening on the rpm's so you can help a little more. I will see now the Yuminashi site. Big bore kit probably one day... The total price for the kit in Portugal it's more than some people receive for their work on the end of the month.

Best regards.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

chainsaw wrote:I was just checking out the new yuminashi site then and it looks good. I'm in Thailand at the moment and am catching up with reggy next week to grab some parts. I might have to grab another suitcase and fill it up me thinks :?
Can you take some photos of the factory,reggy..? Id like to see how that all looks like there..
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

nribeiro wrote:Thanks guys again. In the dealer they installed JCosta with 11gr or 10gr I think. A member from our forum told me that it was wrong and sold me the correct ones about 8.5gr. It really helped from 0-80km/h but after that it slows a lot... If I could get 120+ on flats easy... But no.
11 gms is correct if it is a pre 2012 Mk1 to be honest I don't know exactly from pictures how one would tell a Mk1 from a Mk 2. What concerns me is that the dealer should not have had 11 gm weights if he was using the correct variator for a Mk2. The new Mk 2 variator has 8.5 weights supplied from the factory. The bell or ramp plate is different for both.

This is a Mk1 variator

A mk2 variator but it has circular ring stamped into the bell, it is not smooth like above. I am wondering if the dealer fitted an earlier version and not the correct one?

The circular groove is like this. (this is an SH 300 i couldn't find a post 2012 picture) PCX has 12 weights not 14 like the picture

Old model is JC6412FS
New model is JC6414FS (after 2012)
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

Mine it's the second one so it's correct.

I just want a litle top speed or more power on flats. A litle more speed is welcome but if I can top out at 130 km/h but can maintain 120+ on flats better.

I have to tweak the scooter...