Breaking in period

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Joemag22
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Breaking in period

Post by Joemag22 »

Hey everyone,
I'm new to the PCX world and this forum. I just bought a 2011 PCX 125 with only 170 miles on it and I'm trying to catch up on all the threads and information here... My scootz came with the j.costa vari and j.costa exhaust, not my choices, but I had no idea and it has some good pick-up and go. Since everything is brand new I'm looking for some tips on the breaking in period so I can enjoy this as long as possible.

Thanks!

Current: 2011 Honda PCX125 (j.costa vario and j.costa exhaust)
Past: 2008 Honda Met (Dayton drag vario, CDI box, spark plug, kn filter, and a cup holder)

** NOR-CAL / East Bay Met Set SC **
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Breaking in period

Post by gn2 »

Just ride it normally avoiding full throttle starts for the next two hundred miles or so and get the first oil change and oil screen clean at 600 miles and all will be well.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Joemag22
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Joemag22 »

Gn2 thanks for the response. That seems simple enough 8)

Past: 2008 Honda Met (Dayton drag vario, CDI box, spark plug, kn filter, and a cup holder)

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Just ride it normally avoiding full throttle starts for the next two hundred miles or so and get the first oil change and oil screen clean at 600 miles and all will be well.

Absolutely agree. The only thing I would add is to change the rear drive oil at the same time.
Joemag22
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Joemag22 »

I can do that too. Just got back from an 80 mile trip with my fiancé. Great ride, not a lot of wind, but I'll def be looking into the windshield soon. Some pics will be posted in the gallery too. Thanks you you

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Do NOT forget to adjust the valves. They should be checked and adjusted if need be at the 600 mile and the 1200 mile services. After that you can pretty much forget them.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Joemag22
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Joemag22 »

Ooooo, are valve adjustments difficult or should it just be brought into a dealership for that? I like the idea of being mechanically inclined, but reality is always a little different....

scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Post by scisor34 »

21,000 miles on my PCX, runs good as new, getting 100mpg, and have never had the valves inspected......
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Ours were out of adjustment at our 600 mile and 1200 mile checks. Since then we havent touched them. It is part of the service, but it is up to you as to whether you want to do it or not. I would at least check them, but that will require taking off a lot of plastic. That is the reason for the high service fees.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

I just had my 600 mile check and they had to adjust the valves as well. When I went to pick up my scooter they weren't done with it yet. Amazing how much they have to take off. Only they very front part was still in intact. The rest was down to the frame. I was charged $290 for it. My husband's first oil change will be $125 for a Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

katschamne wrote:I just had my 600 mile check and they had to adjust the valves as well. When I went to pick up my scooter they weren't done with it yet. Amazing how much they have to take off. Only they very front part was still in intact. The rest was down to the frame. I was charged $290 for it. My husband's first oil change will be $125 for a Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero.
So, Honda dealers can't use the 'take the seat and a few other bits off and reach down' trick - it was posted this was a much easier way to do it. Strange you got charged so much - it can be argued the valve check is part of the first service and should be right from the factory, and most dealers charge around £70-90.
adambee

Post by adambee »

I am intrigued by this "take off the seat and a few other bits and reach down" method. Could anyone please share a link to it?
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

adambee wrote:I am intrigued by this "take off the seat and a few other bits and reach down" method. Could anyone please share a link to it?
Ditto
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

A simpler method was explained in this thread - no seat removal just under seat shroud and bits.
http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=19& ... lit=+valve
http://hondapcx.org/posting.php?mode=quote&f=19&p=31328
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

scisor34 wrote:21,000 miles on my PCX, runs good as new, getting 100mpg, and have never had the valves inspected......

Bahahaaha... :lol: Here I am at 2,000 miles and I was feeling bad for not having them adjusted yet.
There is a general consensus here that the maintenance interval specified by Honda are a bit conservative.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

katschamne wrote:I just had my 600 mile check and they had to adjust the valves as well. When I went to pick up my scooter they weren't done with it yet. Amazing how much they have to take off. Only they very front part was still in intact. The rest was down to the frame. I was charged $290 for it. My husband's first oil change will be $125 for a Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero.
I ownder if they just went with the sound of it and how it started - doubt many dealers take off lots of plastic just to have a look, esp. as many have posted their dealer stated they don't unless needed.
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

I'm not sure why so much was off. I did have an problem last year with my belt that I wanted them to check because I didn't trust the other dealership I had fix it. At the time I walked in they were just doing the valve adjustments and oil change. I agree I think the valves should be right from the factory, but after you start riding you break in the parts. I think the first 600 mile check up should be included in the price.