Engine cuts off and on

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

adambee

Engine cuts off and on

Post by adambee »

I just noticed this on my last ride over lunch: While riding along, at low steady throttle, it seems like the gas to the engine is stopping and starting, as though I were closing the throttle all the way and then putting back at where I'm in fact keeping the throttle the whole time.

I just gassed the ride up this morning. It was almost empty and I filled it to the brim. Could it maybe be related to overfilling the tank? Could there be air in the line from running it all the way down?

It was a short ride, under 5 minutes, but the problem did seem to become less frequent as the engine warmed up.

Has anyone heard of anything like that? It's got 1070 miles on the odo, I changed the oil at 850, and I may have overfilled the oil a bit but haven't had any other problems with the bike so far.

Maybe it will go away on its own-- I'll try to pay attention on my ride home tonight and see if it goes away.
adambee

Re: Engine cuts off and on

Post by adambee »

On the ride home it seemed totally normal, so maybe it was a one-time thing. I'd delete my post but I'm not sure how. Thanks for reading anyway.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Continuing paying attention. My 150 esp is at the dealer for warranty repair for a similar issue.
adambee

Post by adambee »

Hasn't come up again in the past week, but I'll continue to watch out for it. When it happened the engine braking kicked in right away-- it was just as though I had put the throttle at zero, even though I was holding it at a constant level. I had thought maybe I was holding it right at some threshold, but it occurred at a few different throttle levels.

Sorry to hear you've been having similar issues. If you get to the bottom of it definitely let me know.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I haven't had the problems like that on my pcx but when I had my Burgman it occurred quite often. What I ended up doing was put some fuel stabalizer in the tank. After that it straightened out until the next fill up. Sometimes I would get a good tank of gas and all would be well. What I found was that some stations allow the gas in their tanks to get low before refilling them so they end up with water in them. I don't know what the situation is there so just put either Seafoam in your tank or if your state mandates 10% ethanol mix, put something like Lucas Ethanol conditioner in your tank. It only takes a small amount so the bottle you buy will last for a long time.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Continuing paying attention. My 150 esp is at the dealer for warranty repair for a similar issue.

Still!
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

This is the start of week seven.