My days as a PCX owner might be numbered

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

My days as a PCX owner might be numbered

Post by katschamne »

Well I have enjoyed the little time that I've had on my PCX 150 but I think my needs have out grown the scooter. During my first long trip (140 miles) I found out that I was pushing the scooter to its limit. My husband and I went out on a trip that ended rather unpleasant for me but it made me realize that the scooter was too small. The speed limit where we were driving was 55 mph. With a head wind I was barely able to get the scooter up to 50 mph without it I was at full throttle with nothing left at 55 mph. This not only unsafe but also bad for the scooter to drive long distances at full throttle. For someone smaller this is a great scooter but not for someone who is 300 lbs.

I've been looking for a couple of weeks now on online. So I figured the only way to decide is to go out and look at my choices. Today we went out looking at 4 different scooters the Forza, the Burgman 400 & 650 and the Silver Wing. I have to say that is the only way to really make decision. I ruled out the Forza almost immediately. Although the seat felt pretty good it was way too tall for me and I couldn't to flat foot the scooter and it doesn't have the taller windshield (which I of course I can add later). The the second I ruled out was the Burgman 650. Too heavy, a little to tall and the seat was very uncomfortable. Although I love all the creature features but it might be too much for me. So the decision comes down to the Burgman 400 and the Swing. Right now in the showrooms they have both of them brand new for a greatly reduced price because they are both 2012. It will all come down to what they have left when I finally go back to work and get the insurance check for my accident.

The big question is what am I going to do with the PCX. If I trade it in I will only get $1500-$2000, sell it out right myself or just keep it just to run around town with it. It does great under 50 mph for me.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: My days as a PCX owner might be numbered

Post by kramnala58 »

As to whether or not you keep or sell the PCX, you might be better to make that decision once you decide which of the other two bikes you will purchase. If it is the Burgman 400, it may be small enough and maneuverable enough that it doesn't make sense to keep the PCX. But if you get the S-wing, it is large enough that you might want to consider keeping the PCX to buzz around town in.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I would have to consider the insurance cost of a second machine. While having the right tool for the job is always lovely, The insurance for my PCX is around $300. While I really enjoy scooting around, I would be hard pressed to spend the extra money to insure a second vehicle. I would rather put the money into another riding jacket or possibly some reinforced/armoured pants.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
chucktuna
I'm up to 12 or 13 now...
I'm up to 12 or 13 now...
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by chucktuna »

Keep the PCX as an extra scoot!
Having owned a S-wing before, it's awfully heavy too.

Insurance should be much less for the second scoot. Liability only. You own it right?
BUT,
...... If you want to sell it for $1500, pm me and I can be there with cash in hand, I'm down state from you.
Too many scoots..... 12 or so I think .
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

Why limit the choic?. Is there a SYM dealer handy? SYM Joymax 300?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Taller than the already rejected Forza.
As is almost every scooter built.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
hatari
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hatari »

katschamne wrote:Well I have enjoyed the little time that I've had on my PCX 150 but I think my needs have out grown the scooter. During my first long trip (140 miles) I found out that I was pushing the scooter to its limit. My husband and I went out on a trip that ended rather unpleasant for me but it made me realize that the scooter was too small. The speed limit where we were driving was 55 mph. With a head wind I was barely able to get the scooter up to 50 mph without it I was at full throttle with nothing left at 55 mph. This not only unsafe but also bad for the scooter to drive long distances at full throttle. For someone smaller this is a great scooter but not for someone who is 300 lbs.

I've been looking for a couple of weeks now on online. So I figured the only way to decide is to go out and look at my choices. Today we went out looking at 4 different scooters the Forza, the Burgman 400 & 650 and the Silver Wing. I have to say that is the only way to really make decision. I ruled out the Forza almost immediately. Although the seat felt pretty good it was way too tall for me and I couldn't to flat foot the scooter and it doesn't have the taller windshield (which I of course I can add later). The the second I ruled out was the Burgman 650. Too heavy, a little to tall and the seat was very uncomfortable. Although I love all the creature features but it might be too much for me. So the decision comes down to the Burgman 400 and the Swing. Right now in the showrooms they have both of them brand new for a greatly reduced price because they are both 2012. It will all come down to what they have left when I finally go back to work and get the insurance check for my accident.

The big question is what am I going to do with the PCX. If I trade it in I will only get $1500-$2000, sell it out right myself or just keep it just to run around town with it. It does great under 50 mph for me.

Buy a car luv.......there you go, sorted......
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Yes I do own it. For me the insurance on the pcx for full coverage is $144 a year. I'm sure if I bought just liability it would probably be about half. I know the new scooter's insurance won't be more then $300 a year since my husband's 1700 motorcycle is $380 a year.

It might depend on which model I get. We'll have to store the new scooter and the motorcycle somewhere else because in the winter time the cars get the garage. Although the PCX would be fine with the two cars. This way my husband can ride it on nice days. Not me I'm a wimp in cold weather. I'm fine walking around without a jacket but not to ride the scooter and my husband is just the opposites. I also might get rid of it depending how much money I get and what kind of deal I can get on the new scooter.

While I thought the Swing was heavy the Forza felt heavier. Maybe because the Forza was so tall. I think it makes it easier when you can flat foot it. I had my husband sit on all of them he's 6'3 and he even said that he liked the Swing except that the backrest hit him in wrong place but he had more leg room. Now the Burgman 650 was a beast. That would be hard to back up on. Although one thing I though odd was that the Swing doesn't have a 12 v adaptor, but I can easily fix that.

As far as other manufacturers, I looked into a few others and I couldn't find dealers in my area. I don't want to drive to Tim Buck two to have my scooter fixed or only have one dealer to choose from. That's what was nice about Honda. I have three dealers fairly close. There is only one for BMW and I did look at those too. Surprising in my area there are very few scooters. Even when I went to downtown Chicago I expect to see a lot more and I saw 2 50cc models. Last Sunday was nice and I had to see probably a hundred motorcycles while I was out. I didn't see not one scooter. Even on Craigslist the list of used scooter for each of the models that I looked at there are maybe 5 of each.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I owned a Burgman 400 and loved it. I would still have it if I did more out of city riding. Don't limit your choice to new only. Mine was a 2006 that I bought for $3500 in 2012. At the time that I bought it, it had 2 miles on it. When I traded it in, it had 8,000. That same bike is now on sale at the dealer for $3,000. Burgman owners are unique in that they love their scooters so much that they name them and pamper them. If you buy a used one from an individual you would not only get a good deal, you would get a pampered bike in great condition for a really good price. My wife, who is only 5' tall, loved riding it...not as just the passenger though. If we went for long rides on quiet roads, she would pull over on her PCX and ask to trade bikes with me for awhile. In short, consider a used Burgman. They are well worth the money.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Burgman 400 seat height 710mm 28 in
Forza 300 seat height 716 mm 28.2 in
Silverwing 600 seat height 754mm 29.7 in
PCX seat height 759mm 29.9 in

Strange that you find the Forza tall, its one of the lowest scooters around.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
ReganX

Post by ReganX »

The Forza's seat height is actually LOWER than the PCX darlin. It's not the height that's keeping you from flat footing it, it's the width. The Forza has a wide ass...er....seat. ;-)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Great suggestion Mel! Used 400 Burger! Very cool 8)
Are Vespa's being considered at all? 250/300? :roll:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

300lbs might be outside the PCXs design parameters.

those silly Honda engineers...
ReganX

Post by ReganX »

Yeah 300lbs might be pushing the PCXs limits a bit.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (53.08 KiB) Viewed 1897 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The maximum capacity for the PCX, by the book, is 397 pounds. This includes not only the rider, but also any added accessories, added after the purchase of the bike. Also it includes the fuel, oil and the rider's clothing...helmet, jacket, boots. It adds up fast. In Thailand they are stick people so even 6 people on the scooter at the same time probably doesn't reach the limit. Not so in the United States and in Europe.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

ReganX wrote:Yeah 300lbs might be pushing the PCXs limits a bit.

Ive got an awful feeling I might look like that on a PCX.....
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

:lol: Go ahead 2yous! Post a pic!
(I'm bettin' you might don't look like that! ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

That guy is more like 500 lbs, just saying. I only ride with my gear and I don't haul anything else, so I am nowhere near that 397 lbs although I thought I read the combined weight was 347 lbs. Even at that I'm no that heavy. I agree I don't think you are that big YouYou. BTW I did look at the limits before I bought the scooter, otherwise I would have passed it up for something else right from the get go.

Mel I'm not limiting myself to new but it was easier in one day to look at what fit me by going to the dealers. Like I posted there really isn't a huge scooter market here. There are only about 5 of each models listed on craigslist. Most of them have damage from being dropped. When I had my accident I repaired my scooter but most people here doesn't seem to do that. There was a used one at the dealer that was a 2011 with 1400 miles on it and a new 2012 still on the lot. Between the 2 the new one was only a $1000 dollars more and I would get a warranty with it where the used one I would have a 30 day dealer warranty. The dealer doesn't even have a 2014 in the showroom yet because he still has a brand new 2012 and a 2013. The brand new 2012 is going for $5999 where as 2014 is $7999. I can pick up a new 2012 Swing for $6999 rather $9270. I they still had 3 or 4 2013 PCX on the lot. It shows that scooters don't sell in my area.

WhiteNoise I have considered a Yamaha Majesty but the one used one I found was sold before I could actually take a look at and I haven't found a dealer that has one in their showroom. As far as Vespas go, not at all. I have never been a fan of the way they look or any of the knock offs, so they don't even make my list. My husband was at a charity ride today and there was a Vespa 300 there and he said the guy did well with keeping up with the the big Harleys. Some guys joked that they didn't think it would keep up but they ended up eating crow.

Now on to the seat height. By the numbers you're right but actually sit on each and everyone of them and tell me that they are the same. Once you sit on them a lot of stuff play into the height, suspension, how wide the seat, the contour of the seat and the stiffness of the seat. Where I had to tippy toe the Forza. Like you said it has a wide seat where as the PCX seat is much narrower. I was able to flat foot the Swing and the PCX I'm almost flat foot. The Burgman 400 was great fit. The Burgman 650 didn't a fit at all for a number of reasons. Plus the Forza leg room was really cramped for me and for my husband it was even worse because he has a size 15 shoe. I did see the Burgman 200 not bad looking but I don't think that the 50 cc more would really help much. It had a very wide seat and it looked shorter. I didn't sit on it because I wanted something a bit larger. I might have picked it over the PCX if it was out last year when I bought mine. I did go into the dealer to see the Forza hoping that I would like it but it wasn't a good fit for me.

Like I said the only way to pick out a scooter or any motorcycle is to sit on it. To go by the numbers you would be very disappointed. I did sit on a few motorcycles but I like the scooter layout and feel much better plus the storage is awesome. I like it I don't have to haul my helmet in a store with me or lock it up on the side.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote::lol: Go ahead 2yous! Post a pic!
(I'm bettin' you might don't look like that! ;)

I'm only a few pies away....
ReganX

Post by ReganX »

Ha. Of course That picture was a joke. That dude is way more than 300lbs.