Bike shudders the first few times it starts each trip

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

adambee

Bike shudders the first few times it starts each trip

Post by adambee »

The first 2 or 3 times I get my bike rolling from stop each trip, the front end shudders a bunch as it gets into gear.

Got a mystery for you folks:

Every trip I take, the first two or three times I apply throttle each trip (i.e. from the parking spot and the first couple of lights/stop signs), the front end of the bike shudders horribly. The mirrors get all wobbly and it sounds like the damn thing is about to fall apart. Not good, for sure.

I have a feeling it has something to do with the clutch/transmission, as it seems to go away if I give it a tiny bit less gas (i.e. essentially none) or a ton more gas. I usually start pretty gently.

Right now I've got 1800 miles on it. I bought it with 300 miles, so maybe the previous owner did a few WOT starts during break-in? I may have done a handful myself, actually. :oops: I've done the first oil change, but not valve check or rear drive oil change or really anything else. :oops:

Or maybe it's something to do with the front brake, now that I think about it?

It seems to go away after a few starts from a full stop each trip. It doesn't seem to matter how long it's been running or how warm it is-- it seems like it is how many times I've started from a full stop.

It also seems like there are two gears-- one starting 1st gear from a full stop, then it transitions to the CVT. The problem seems like it's only with that first gear. Once I feel/hear it go to CVT it's all good.

Any thoughts?

Other than that, it's been a blast to ride!
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Bike shudders the first few times it starts each trip

Post by waspmike »

Dust in the clutch is the usual cause of vibrations at low revs/speed. Take the bike out for a run in the country and get it up to 50- 60 mph that will blow all the dust out of the clutch.
I usually start pretty gently.
This is also not so good. accelerate away decisively and firmly. Back off when at the speed you want. Not only will this be good for the clutch it will make your fellow road users happy.
6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

Sounds like the same thing mine was doing. I'm out of town right now - hoping I do t experience it again when I get back. Just got it back from the shop right before I left, was told it was my front brake, but seemed to feel more clutch or belt-related.
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

waspmike wrote:Dust in the clutch is the usual cause of vibrations at low revs/speed. Take the bike out for a run in the country and get it up to 50- 60 mph that will blow all the dust out of the clutch.
I usually start pretty gently.
This is also not so good. accelerate away decisively and firmly. Back off when at the speed you want. Not only will this be good for the clutch it will make your fellow road users happy.
Agreed. The same thing happened to my old Honda CH250 after I gave it to my father in-law. He always accelerated gently and after a few weeks he had your symptoms.
Clutch shoes got glazed.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Give your bike a really good thrashing every couple of weeks I say
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Near normal belt shudder in the front pulley. Not a problem if it goes away after the first few take offs.
wei2go
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wei2go »

Damn it. My 2013 pcx 150 has just started shuddering too after coming back from its first service. Garr. I use my scoot just about everyday on a 16km one way commute to work. Avg 45km/hr for most of the trip except the last 3km on the highway when I'm wot.
Currently own a red pcx150 and a red NC750x DCT
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

My PCX has done this as long as I remember (10k+ miles). It's just a weird side effect of the variator and clutch engagement, and is completely normal.

The shudders should go away once you're started -- it shouldn't shudder at speed.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
mboni
Year: 2014 Forza

Post by mboni »

Slickvic wrote:Agreed. The same thing happened to my old Honda CH250 after I gave it to my father in-law. He always accelerated gently and after a few weeks he had your symptoms.
Clutch shoes got glazed.
Glazing of the clutch shoes is a common complaint over on the Honda Silverwing forums. The solution (at least for the SilverWing) is pretty simple:
While stopped in a safe location, grab the left brake lever very firmly, then rev the engine up to 6k rpm for about 10 seconds.
You're essentially burning off the glaze while stopped. It shortens the clutch shoe life a little bit, but gives you much smoother engagement for a few thousand miles.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Except for the fact that there is no tach, that should help. I have to make an assumption that 1,000 equals 60 mph.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
adambee

Post by adambee »

That doesn't stress out the other transmission parts?

Really, if the shudder is not causing any long-term problems then I guess I'm OK with just living with it. The scoot only shudders for the first two or three takeoffs each trip, and after that it's fine. Maybe the shoe gets warmed up and starts sticking better. The scoot never shudders at speed.
pcx man
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcx man »

I have a 2013 PCX 150 with almost 9k on it. My scooter shudders when I first start out cold. After a few stop and starts its gone untill it sits and cools down, then it will do it again. Owners having this problem, what is the miles on your scooter? Mine did not start this untill I had about 6-7k. Now it does it every cold start. I am in Ohio if the weather has anything to do with it.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

My PCX has shuddered as described ever since I got it, over 11k miles ago.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

It's not the clutch. It's the belt. And it's normal.
rdonahe
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by rdonahe »

My PCX has acquired this belt shudder over the past week or so. I've only had the bike about a month but I ride it probably 100-125 miles per week so I have a good amount of saddle time on it so far. It now has around 7800 miles on it.

I wasn't sure what was causing the noise/vibration but it's at startup from stop and again when rolling to a stop seemingly when the clutch disengages. I read the threads on the clutch bearing issue thinking that may be it but that is a far different sound. So I opened up the CVT case and ran the bike on the center stand and I can see the belt slapping the bottom of the CVT case as the source of the noise.

I see on this thread some describe it as normal but in my case the bike didn't do this for the first 2-3 weeks I had it. Any ideas on what would cause the change in behavior? Is it simple belt wear?

Thanks in advance for any help.
-Roger

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

rdonahe wrote:My PCX has acquired this belt shudder over the past week or so. I've only had the bike about a month but I ride it probably 100-125 miles per week so I have a good amount of saddle time on it so far. It now has around 7800 miles on it.

I wasn't sure what was causing the noise/vibration but it's at startup from stop and again when rolling to a stop seemingly when the clutch disengages. I read the threads on the clutch bearing issue thinking that may be it but that is a far different sound. So I opened up the CVT case and ran the bike on the center stand and I can see the belt slapping the bottom of the CVT case as the source of the noise.

I see on this thread some describe it as normal but in my case the bike didn't do this for the first 2-3 weeks I had it. Any ideas on what would cause the change in behavior? Is it simple belt wear?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Change the belt and see?