looking for advise

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

roost131

looking for advise

Post by roost131 »

Hello everyone... I'm new to the forum here and hope to be a part of the PCX family before long.

Here is what I'm looking at. I own a couple of bikes already but was wanting to get a scooter to ride to work and for trips into town. It is 17 miles one way the roads are 55mph two lane roads. I was wondering if the PCX 150 would be fit the bill or should I look at the Forza. Will the PCX maintain 55mph at a moderate RPM.

Thanks for your help.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: looking for advise

Post by gn2 »

roost131 wrote:Will the PCX maintain 55mph at a moderate RPM.
Yes and no.
Sustained 55 should be possible but not at moderate rpm.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Post by scisor34 »

roost131 wrote:Hello everyone... I'm new to the forum here and hope to be a part of the PCX family before long.

Here is what I'm looking at. I own a couple of bikes already but was wanting to get a scooter to ride to work and for trips into town. It is 17 miles one way the roads are 55mph two lane roads. I was wondering if the PCX 150 would be fit the bill or should I look at the Forza. Will the PCX maintain 55mph at a moderate RPM.

Thanks for your help.
I commute 20 miles each way mostly at 55 mph and absolutely love my PCX. Stock you're going to get 62-65mph, with a little taller windshield 65-69mph with some buffeting around your face/helmet. I've been doing this every work day for just over a year and a half now, just turned 24,000 miles on my 2013 150. I live in an amazingly flat part of the world and average 100mpg. Which ever scoot you decide on, you'll wish you bought one years ago.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Can't argue with scisor34, as he's living that commute and enjoying it, but for me, I'd go with the Forza for a little more "in reserve." I use my PCX for a much shorter commute on roads signed for 40 mph (but going 45), and feel the bike is in its element. Any faster or any further, and I'd want more omph and a slightly larger ride.

I notice that even at 40-45, the PCX slows considerably going up the one small hill on my commute. scisor34 has flat topography; if you don't that's another reason to favor the Forza.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

roost131 wrote:Hello everyone... I'm new to the forum here and hope to be a part of the PCX family before long.

Thanks for your help.
Mines perfectly ok at 55 to 60 all day long
Tribpreper
Banned User
Banned User

Post by Tribpreper »

roost131 wrote:Will the PCX maintain 55mph at a moderate RPM.
I suppose you are worried about excessive wear at high RPM, which should not be a concern with good care.
And the motor is more efficient at RPMs above moderate.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

For what you mentioned (sustained 55mph) you'll be just fine. Forza would be overkill. =)

I got two of these things and for under $100, you can change out the variator & drive face and add 9mph to the top speed upping it to 77mph, which will bring the revs at 55mph down lower.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

ScooterMan wrote:... you can change out the variator & drive face and add 9mph to the top speed upping it to 77mph, which will bring the revs at 55mph down lower.
What variator did you install?
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

See I agree with Bash On. It seems that the sweet spot for me is 40-45 mph, it takes forever for it to get up to 55 mph. I've only gotten my PCX up to 60 mph on a good day. It's mostly flat but I do have some hills. Where the hills are the speed limit is only 35 mph, it has no problem. For me at 55 mph there is very little left in reserve. I think the size of the rider plays a big part as well. Although I'm only 5'5" I am heavy. Someone who is 150 lb will have better luck then someone who is 295 lb. I also don't like that it revs so high at 55 mph.

I might look into the variator but for now I'll wait.
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (UK)
Color: Black

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

I can get to 60 most days on my 125 non esp. It will get up to 50 ish hapily and i'm regularly surprised how quickly it gets to 40. I think they are right, 55 would be reaching the top of the range. (my bike is stock)
Honda PCX 125 ESP (Black)
Power:11.7 hp @8500 rpm, Torque:12Nm @5000rpm
Mods: LED sidelights, Yoshimura Exhaust

DEAD: 2013 Piaggio Typhoon 4 stroke 125cc (Black)
Power:9.65 HP @8500 rpm, Torque:8.2Nm @7500 rpm
Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Read the "Farewell PCX" thread for more viewpoints.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

I was asking my Honda Dealership these questions and my dealer told me... There is a lady who bought a 2013 pcx150 and commutes on a state highway 1 hour away for work. She has been doing this for a year. Said she's had no problems keeping up on the state highway and is able to get her scooter maxed at 70-75mph. Well, supposedly that's what she told them. 2nd hand info, so I have no clue if it's true. But I bought a new one, waiting to pick it up, and I will find out sometime it's speed and how well it does on Highways when I get comfortable enough. I'm 5'2" and weigh 140 pounds... I doubt my scoot will have a problem with me being small and light weight being a 150cc. I opted to get the scooter verses a motorcycle as a stepping stone and think the bigger engine motorcycles would be over kill with my size/weight.

Good luck!

zach
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think your weight is going to be the deciding factor. I weight about 190 with my gear on and my pcx 150 does quite well at 55 mph. We often go on the freeway with ours and it does 65 and keeps up with traffic, though I would advise staying in the slow lane because many people think 65 is a suggestion for the speed limit, not the law. We cruise at 55 all over the place, including going to the mountains, and we have two pcx 150s, so we go together.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

socoguy78 wrote:I was asking my Honda Dealership these questions and my dealer told me ...
Dealer = salesman = will typically tell the customer anything ;) ... I wouldn't be surprised if when the lady brings it in on a trade it will become a bike that was only ridden on Sundays ;)

But seriously, with your height and weight, you shouldn't have much if any trouble with speed. The one challenge might be wind buffeting when passing or being passed by large vehicles.

Nonetheless, I am sure that you will enjoy it. It's a great little bike.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Here's some, it's advice :D