Riding Tips

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Riding Tips

Post by gn2 »

WhiteNoise wrote:Tis the point. Check mate! Agree.
Err no.
By "very low speeds" I mean walking pace.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I know, I do know ;) been there, done it, still do it. Works!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

More about brakes. 2 links for you...... "provided by" Honda Worldwide for PCX and Forza.

PCX having CBS (combined braking system) http://world.honda.com/tech-views/motor ... index.html

Forza having Combined-ABS (combined antilock brake system) http://world.honda.com/tech-views/motor ... index.html

^^ Both systems better than individual (separate) brake systems. With (perhaps) one being better than the other. Heh, gn2? ;)
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

No perhaps about it.
You would have to be insane to buy a non-ABS Forza.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Post by scisor34 »

Why would someone who rides as to not use their brakes, ever need anti lock brakes??? Seems a waste of $.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Humans cannot control brakes as effectively as a computer can.
There will always be those OH SHIT moments, ABS can mean the difference between stayng vertical and crashing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j32751P1tQ
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

scisor34 wrote:Why would someone who rides as to not use their brakes, ever need anti lock brakes??? Seems a waste of $.
LOL ... I love it!
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Another demonstration of ABS brakes. V. Impressive.
Honda should add ABS brakes in a future 200-250cc PCX. Nice! Oh, and longer service intervals (hear that gn2?) and....wider tyres (Michelin ;)

In the year 2525 (?)

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:Another demonstration of ABS brakes. V. Impressive.
Honda should add ABS brakes in a future 200-250cc PCX. Nice! Oh, and longer service intervals (hear that gn2?) and....wider tyres (Michelin ;)

In the year 2525 (?)

I'd heard that ABS is going to be compulsory on all EU vehicles by 2016. Not sure how true it is
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I think under 125 were supposed to be exempt, but as there are 125s being fitted with it already maybe not.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Friggin' YouTube's are Not poppin'!! Arg! Never had this problem. No show! Bleh!
I will seek out that video link, but in the meantime I have this link to share explaining ABS

http://www.motorcyclemonthly.co.uk/news ... ping-power
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

I Shouldn't have said "Never had," because it just started happening lately. I'm on my iPad now & I just see a white screen where the youtube should be. So I get on my samsung galaxy S4, to look there. Zip. Now I see a little blue box with a question mark inside of it. My Next test will be on my laptop. Not now though.
Does this mean no more attaching YouTube videos to the forum? Dave? Anybody?

Oh, and that link I just said I would find and post...sorry can't find it now.

So tell me peeps, How's your Sunday going? I'm about to take a ride on my Non ABS 3speed bicycle :lol: Cheerio
scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Post by scisor34 »

If you're an experienced rider with aggressive riding experience(not necessarily talking about the PCX or Forza) you will absolutely hate the lever feel of anti-lock brakes. To the experienced rider they feel "squishy" with no feedback to what's going on. As for the "Oh Shit" moments, often times the safest option is to lay ur bike down in a controlled slide. Good luck doing that with anti-lock brakes.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Not to change the subject, and please don't because of my interruption

but I've been meaning to add this MSF BRC PDF
http://msf-usa.org/downloads/BRCHandbook.pdf
Okay done now :P

So, ABS sounds like a sticky subject? Folks like and disliking them 50/50? I have to decide on this, and I'm not familiar With ABS on two wheels. New PCX will Not have them, 200 Burgman will, Sprint will and others out there to be seen will. ABS and me? Hmmm...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

scisor34 wrote:If you're an experienced rider with aggressive riding experience(not necessarily talking about the PCX or Forza) you will absolutely hate the lever feel of anti-lock brakes. To the experienced rider they feel "squishy" with no feedback to what's going on.
Bullshit.
scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Post by scisor34 »

gn2 wrote:
scisor34 wrote:If you're an experienced rider with aggressive riding experience(not necessarily talking about the PCX or Forza) you will absolutely hate the lever feel of anti-lock brakes. To the experienced rider they feel "squishy" with no feedback to what's going on.
Bullshit.
Lol......
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

scisor34 wrote:As for the "Oh Shit" moments, often times the safest option is to lay ur bike down in a controlled slide. Good luck doing that with anti-lock brakes.
The downside to ABS is you're not going have much biker cred from any near misses where you simply came to a controlled stop and then rode away.

Given a choice between a "controlled" slide and a "controlled" stop, most sensible people would opt to just stop.
scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Post by scisor34 »

AustinPCX wrote:
scisor34 wrote:As for the "Oh Shit" moments, often times the safest option is to lay ur bike down in a controlled slide. Good luck doing that with anti-lock brakes.
The downside to ABS is you're not going have much biker cred from any near misses where you simply came to a controlled stop and then rode away.

Given a choice between a "controlled" slide and a "controlled" stop, most sensible people would opt to just stop.
The "oh shit" moments I was referring to are life and death decisions, not "biker cred" moments (if there is such a thing). Absolutely you always want to just stop and ride away. Being able to control your bike enough to execute a controlled laydown in an emergency situation (I haven't been there and hope I never am) is often times the difference between life and death.
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 (2015)
Color: White

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

scisor34 wrote:often times the safest option is to lay ur bike down in a controlled slide.
I'm sorry, but I disagree. Keeping a bike upright and scrubbing as much speed off as possible is always the best option. And to scrub speed/slow down - one needs one's tyres in contact with the road.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

"Controlled laydown"...?
Sounds like the sort of thing a bullshitter might say after they have a crash.