Engine Breaking

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Duggle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 - 150
Color: black

Re: Engine Breaking

Post by Duggle »

Well, I'm a new guy, I'm not going to say anything (and I didn't care anyway). But I did come to this thread thinking that someone had a baaaaad mechanical issue!
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Or was somewhat heavy-handed with the torque wrench...
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote::lol: Yep ^^
....and nothing said by me Or others. Leave it to 2yous, Ffs! What a gas! :lol:

gn2, did you really miss that? :? Slipping?

I am a miserable tw@t :D
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Don't get me started on check book !!
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (UK)
Color: Black

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

Haha! I sadly don't own one!
Honda PCX 125 ESP (Black)
Power:11.7 hp @8500 rpm, Torque:12Nm @5000rpm
Mods: LED sidelights, Yoshimura Exhaust

DEAD: 2013 Piaggio Typhoon 4 stroke 125cc (Black)
Power:9.65 HP @8500 rpm, Torque:8.2Nm @7500 rpm
Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Urbanfreestyle wrote:Haha! I sadly don't own one!

You're a good sport
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

No no no no no.

Haha! Sadly, I don't own one.

Grammar, the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
No no no no no.

Haha! Sadly, I don't own one.

Grammar, the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

My Granma is dead. Thanks for bringing it up
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

I know this isn't engine braking, but I had to do a full brake today practicing in a 40mph road. This PCX handled the braking very very well. One of the brakes locked up momentarily, as soon as I heard the squeal, I let go both brakes and reapplied again. The pcx stopped more quickly than the other cars in front of me slamming on their brakes. But I've noticed I'll hear the brake pad or something rubbing against the front wheel when walking the scooter in my quiet garage.
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

Slickvic wrote:
OriginalRocket wrote:I do not engine brake. I am from the side that believes braking is done by replaceable brake pads and rotors.

That said, I do not live in a hilly area. Illinois is mostly flat.

I was taught to engine brake at the MSF course. It made no sense to me. I've never had a automatic car, so to not burn out a clutch I use my brakes to slow down. I never clutch down to slow down. The OEM fly wheel was still in good condition on my Integra GS-R after 110,000 miles when I upgraded to a stage 1 clutch.
I think you misunderstand the concept. Engine Braking = Coasting.
This has Nothing to do with burning out clutches. What they mean is that instead of grabbing the brakes immediately after letting off the gas, you coast. Let the momentum of the engine slow you down.

1) Let off the gas
2) Coast if possible to slow down.
3) Use brakes if necessary.

Disclaimer: No clutch pads were harmed in the utilization of Engine Braking. ;)
Engine braking is not coasting. Coasting is disengaging from the engine. When you let off the throttle on the PCX it does engine brake due to the CVT Transmission down to about 10 mph. I don't actively use this to slow down down. When there is a red light or a stop sign or some reason that I must stop or slow do I let off the throttle, "coast" for a bit, then use the brakes. Commuting, there is no time for this, its either throttle or brake.

on a side note. I've never had to empty the airbox overflow tube yet on any of my motorcycles. Nothing is ever in it the tube!. PCX has 11,000 miles, my NC700 has 7,000.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

socoguy78 wrote:The pcx stopped more quickly than the other cars in front of me slamming on their brakes.
I worry more about the PCX stopping more quickly than the cars behind me slamming on their brakes.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

OriginalRocket wrote:
Engine braking is not coasting. Coasting is disengaging from the engine. When you let off the throttle on the PCX it does engine brake due to the CVT Transmission down to about 10 mph. I don't actively use this to slow down down. When there is a red light or a stop sign or some reason that I must stop or slow do I let off the throttle, "coast" for a bit, then use the brakes. Commuting, there is no time for this, its either throttle or brake.

on a side note. I've never had to empty the airbox overflow tube yet on any of my motorcycles. Nothing is ever in it the tube!. PCX has 11,000 miles, my NC700 has 7,000.
As a person who has driven many manual transmission cars, I understand that Engine braking is not coasting. I merely used the word "Coasting" to avoid any misunderstanding when letting off the throttle.

I regret even replying to this posting. My bad.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

Slickvic wrote:
OriginalRocket wrote:

As a person who has driven many manual transmission cars, I understand that Engine braking is not coasting. I merely used the word "Coasting" to avoid any misunderstanding when letting off the throttle.

I regret even replying to this posting. My bad.
It was just a miscommunication and no harm done. Don't take anything personally and thank you for you replies on this thread.

zach
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

Bash On! wrote:
socoguy78 wrote:The pcx stopped more quickly than the other cars in front of me slamming on their brakes.
I worry more about the PCX stopping more quickly than the cars behind me slamming on their brakes.
Very very true. Sometimes I think I might appear to be paranoid always looking around me, and all my mirrors in my car and PCX. There's been many times I had to slam on my brakes in traffic and notice the car behind me might rear end me, so I turn my car to the right or left if there's an emergency lane to pull into and let the car in front of me get rear ended. ha!