windscreens and mpg on PCX 150

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

windscreens and mpg on PCX 150

Post by flyingzonker »

What is the MPG effect of the addition of a, say, 17 in windshield on a PCX 150. Seems to me their would by an aerodynamic enhancement factor in this procedure that would result in more miles per gallon. I suppose there are other parameters than height to be considered--width, angle of wind incidence, contour, etc.--so many variables, so little time. Anyway, does anyone know anything specific on this issue?
stryder123
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza

Re: windscreens and mpg on PCX 150

Post by stryder123 »

My personal experience with the GIVI tall windscreen on my PCX150 is that it does not seem to change the gas mileage for better or worse. It does get rid of all buffeting and for some reason makes the bike more stable in cross winds and around heavy traffic. Also. I can now ride with my face shield up and there is no wind noise. That means I can hear my bike running as I cruze down the highway. The only negative I have seen is that if you are riding into a strong headwind it will cut your top speed by 5 to 10 mph depending on how strong the wind is blowing. If there is no wind then I still can do my top speed of 65 mph.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

stryder123 wrote:My personal experience with the GIVI tall windscreen on my PCX150 is that it does not seem to change the gas mileage for better or worse. It does get rid of all buffeting and for some reason makes the bike more stable in cross winds and around heavy traffic. Also. I can now ride with my face shield up and there is no wind noise. That means I can hear my bike running as I cruze down the highway. The only negative I have seen is that if you are riding into a strong headwind it will cut your top speed by 5 to 10 mph depending on how strong the wind is blowing. If there is no wind then I still can do my top speed of 65 mph.
I've read that some people claim that the tall screen somehow collects exhaust fumes or at least gives the exhaust an olfactory presence--I've just come from listening to some nonduality talks--that it didn't have before the screen was installed. You haven't noticed this?
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by Mgalutia88 »

The givi short screen gives a nice boost in aerodynamics while not adding as much surface area as the full screen. It will allow you to reach higher top speeds than the stock screen without crouching.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Mgalutia88 wrote:The givi short screen gives a nice boost in aerodynamics while not adding as much surface area as the full screen. It will allow you to reach higher top speeds than the stock screen without crouching.
an aerodynamic boost--what's not to love? Probably look a little better than a high screen too.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DAB »

flyingzonker wrote: I've read that some people claim that the tall screen somehow collects exhaust fumes
Impossible, no mechanism to separate the fumes from the air
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by Mgalutia88 »

The screen creates a low pressure area that can suck in exhaust fumes is what they are.
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

I have the tall Givi and noticed no perceptible difference in top speed. A strong enough headwind will hold you back with or without one, in my opinion.