New member old head

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

SteveB

New member old head

Post by SteveB »

Hello everyone
I picked up a 2014 PCX 2 weeks ago and last night on the way to work threw it down the road I'm fine bit battered and bruised but fine. Totally my fault was not concentrating enough, was watching one car and should have been watching everyone. I had a car indicating to turn across my path at a staggered junction. I was so busy watching him that I didn't see another car come out of the junction to my left then stop to turn right When I did see her it was grab both brakes and hope. I had almost stopped when the front wheel went from under me. I was sliding down the road with the bike on top of my leg waiting for the bang Hit the back of the car with the right mirror and my head. I'm laying there with the bike on top of me shouting Oh s*** oh s*** oh s*** as you do when the girl comes around the car saying dont move I just said oh s*** again and laughed at myself
I have been riding bikes for over 40yrs so should have been concentrating more. Look look and then look again has always been my motto and last night I was daydreaming It could have been much worse I realise that and it's a lesson learnt I also ride a Kwaka Z1000 and actually bought the PCX to save putting to much mileage on the Zed
The bike however is not too bad on further inspection this morning. The rhs mirror is gone so has the rhs brake hose Plenty of scratches on the plastics and some on the air-filter housing/crankcase where the centre stand has gouged it a bit Not too worried about the cosmetics as I dont intend selling the machine for sometime. I will get them done eventually The mirror and brake hose on the other hand will have to be sorted asap Regards Steve B
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: New member old head

Post by gn2 »

Hi SteveB :)
Bummer about your off.
Tis a pity the PCX doesn't have ABS.
Check the stand mounts, they are integral to the crankcase and if broken can cause catastrophic oil loss.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
SteveB

Post by SteveB »

Thanks for that will check them out
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Check with your local dealer on the plastics. They are much cheaper than you'd expect.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Glad to hear that you are okay though. 40+ years and still did it ... let us all take heed and not let out guard down while we ride.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

:? Well I must say, that's a helluva way to get on board here Steve!
I was going to say Welcome first, but now I know it's more important to say, Gosh I'm glad you're okay! You took a nasty slide and with the scoot on top of you! o_O I hate reading about accidents. Like Mark said above, it's a real eye-opener to the rest of us. :| Heal fast & I hope things get sorted quickly for you
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

"I was sliding down the road with the bike on top of my leg waiting for the bang Hit the back of the car with the right mirror and my head."

Great testimonial for ATGATT (All the Gear, All the Time). And, no, that doesn't mean shorts and flip-flops--even if it is "just" a scooter.

Glad you're still an "old head," and not a "dead head." [gulp]
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hey Bash! Been meaning to ask you this, why is your avatar sideways? Or is it my damn Apple iPad 3G playing "I'm the boss again?" I'd like to see yer pooch right side up and you too for that matter ;)
Wait! Look at...What the Frick! It Is My iPad!! I'm looking at my samsung galaxy s4 and "you two are upright" looking back at me! Perfect.
So, What's with the Apple "game playing?" :x This gets me annoyed. No more YouTube video viewing either....what else? :x :x

Sorry for the ranting hijack Steve :(
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Cool, WhiteNoise. Reminds me that I need to get a picture with the new puppy--he should grow up to be nearly 1.5 times the size of the female in the current photo.

Back to our head thread ....
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Sorry to hear of the bad new SteveB. I'm a new rider of 3 months and have had a few scary moments, but I ride carefully and keep a constant lookout, and so far spot idiots before they do what I expect them too.
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013

Post by dustin91 »

I'm with Bash on this one -- ATGATT.

This is my first bike, so I'm essentially also waiting for my first laydown!
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013

Post by dustin91 »

Also, welcome aboard and glad you're OK!
tomtic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by tomtic »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Check with your local dealer on the plastics. They are much cheaper than you'd expect.
Not in the UK they're not!!
Side fairing panels are about £95 here, but I see you can get them for around £30 in the States. :x
Still, glad you're not hurt SteveB. Whatever it costs, bikes can be fixed, but humans take more effort!
SteveB

Post by SteveB »

Thanks for the welcomes and yes even after riding 40+ yrs it can happen. A momentary lack of concentration and bang your sliding down the road. I have seen plastics available for 15 euro's plus p&p from Thailand. They will be ordered later though. must get the little girl back on the road The lad I deal with at the main stealers was off yesterday so will ring him this morning to price up mirrors and brake hoses I dont think they have changed anything on the bike from the '13 model to the '14 model apart from the led lights all round Have they?????
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

If you mean the new model with humpless seat, clock, bigger tank etc there's a big number of differences.
All the bodywork is different.
Mirrors and brakehoses..... you should be able to get aftermarket ones if the originals are a bit steep or not immediately available.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
SteveB

Post by SteveB »

Right ok thanks for that will have a word with my man and see what he can do Can we post links on here thought I better ask
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Links are ok.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

@-SteveB. Very sorry to hear about your accident. Very glad that you weren't seriously injured. I hope to never dump it! I wear an armored jacket, knee and shin protection and full face helmet now. also have a pair of armored riding pants for when the weather is cooler. If I dump it, want to be protected.
SteveB

Post by SteveB »

Rechecked the brake hose yesterday after the rain had stopped. I thought it had split at first glance but once I had repositioned the lever I tried tightening the bolt and hey presto no more leak. Just got to bleed the brakes now and wait for a new mirror. Then we are back on the road. A few scratches and one crack on the plastics and a broken mirror I think I got of lightly all for one momentary lapse of concentration A valuable lesson learnt look, look and look again never take your eyes of the road Thanks again for all the welcomes and the concern. I will be popping in and out looking for bits of plastic and such so keep'em shiney side up people