Chicago here...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

homey
Regular User
Regular User

Chicago here...

Post by homey »

Hello fellow riders... I would like to introduce myself to members. I don't have my shipment in yet but it's white... shock! I see introductions in this forum are presented with stock pictures so I will comply ASAP. I will be scooting the streets and SW suburbs of Chicago Illinois at age 55 because I sold my aging Segway XT as the batteries were going over half life... AGAIN! I love the freedom the Segway gave me with streets, sidewalks, parkways, trails and even inside large box stores with no license, insurance or controlling authority at all in Chicago. My signature in their forum was "for as long as I can STAND". Well now it's "for as long as I can SIT" if admin will hold that for me during my privileges waiting period.

I'm certainly looking forward to chatting with PCX forums helpful team and members. The polished 2015 PCX I waited for Honda to prefect but I waited even longer for Segway to master their product. I see we have dealer influence in here and that's cool, I'm used to it and you don't speak poorly of anything Segway over there either :lol: A couple questions if I may...

- I see this forum is host to the Honda PCX/Forza 2011-2014 and hopefully 2015 models, have I found the only forum that does so?
- Is it true I will not be able to pimp my ride with aftermarket product from any US distributors at this time? Because DAHAM! apparently the world has passed us by in the USA in regards to this cycles BLING options. WOW! we need to step it up people.
- would any here be offended if I named my pride... "Shay" as in whitey?
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: Chicago here...

Post by kramnala58 »

Welcome to the forums, great to have you join us.

I think US distributors will eventually pick up accessories for the 2015 but it might take a year.

I am not offended by your suggested name. I have called mine White Lightning, but I am thinking of changing to 'Farang' which means westerner or white person in Thailand and is also what they call a certain fruit here that is white.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

Hi and Welcome!

I'm about a 40 minute drive south of Chicago, in Mokena.

You sure picked the right scooter for the terrible streets Chicago has. I was in a scooter pack touring LSD and various high and fancy neighborhoods, which required cutting through the rough South Side. The 12'' and 10'' scooters had a very hard time keeping pace with us PCXers. 14'' tire size is nice to have. And it has some suspension travel!

I haven't modified my 2011 125cc PCX at all. Just the City Grip tires by Michelin. The scooter is pretty well perfect, and the stuff the 2015's have is very nice. Good choice. Insurance was stupid cheap with Allstate for myself, Full coverage 300k/300k limits was $67 dollars for the year.

Get a disc brake lock, and set the parking brake, and handle bar lock EVER SINGLE TIME you park to get off the scooter. Even if its just for a few minutes. I know of fellow riders who use a honda metro to get around during the warm months. All they do is go out and buy one, new used, does not mater, then they beat the crap out of it with sticks, tip it over a few times, scratch and rough it up, even spray paint splochs on it and the rims.

These guys come out of a store/home, and guess what, the scooter is still there!

TIP: read the Chicago motorcycle forums, they have weird rules about motorcycle parking. Some of the laws allow you to park in between no parking signs, and other crazy areas you would never consider legal to park in. I spent a whole day riding and eating and looking at stores and landmarks with a group. The leader knew the rules well. We always found parking, and never had to pay for it!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Why would I/we be offended homey? Am I missing something? I like the name Shay. I say, Go For It!
:P

Mark,...Farang! I love it!! 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I completely agree about locks on your scooter. I would add to that one important thing. If you get a brake disc lock, get a cord or something similar, put a red flag on it, and somehow make it visible as a reminder for you to remove the lock before moving the bike. Otherwise, you may be in a hurry at some point, forget to remove the lock, and destroy your brake disc. Not good.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Congrats on your new scooter and welcome to the forum. I live 40 miles west of Chicago in Geneva. I was sidelined for a few weeks due to a broken shoulder. Since then I have been enjoying my little PCX. I think it is quite a site to see me trail after my husband's big cruiser. I've never used a brake lock but I agree with Mel that you want a cord to remind you that you have the brake lock on. It would be my luck I come out at 10 pm from work and forget that it's on. You will see that we have all ages here. I myself am 46 years old.

If you don't have your motorcycle license or if it's been awhile since you rode one, I strongly suggest taking the Motorcycle Safety Course. This is the website in our area http://www.niu.edu/mcycle/. If you register online there is a $23 fee but you have an opportunity yo get back $20 at the end of the completed course. Other wise you can just walk in and see if there is a no show. Good luck and don't be a stranger.
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by homey »

Thanks people for being so kind with replies, I really appreciate a good forum to help with quick answers.
kramnala58 wrote:I am not offended by your suggested name. I have called mine White Lightning, but I am thinking of changing to 'Farang' which means westerner or white person in Thailand and is also what they call a certain fruit here that is white.
I LOVE your answer! OK 'SHAY WHITEY' is what I will call my scoot :lol: Thanks for the welcome and ride safe
kramnala58 wrote:Insurance was stupid cheap with Allstate for myself, Full coverage 300k/300k limits was $67 dollars for the year.
OMGOSH! I got hosed by Progressive, WOW! I pay 170.00 a year for full coverage. I have no tickets and no accidents in 15 years... I am a loser! Thank you so much for that update :o
kramnala58 wrote:Get a disc brake lock, and set the parking brake, and handle bar lock EVER SINGLE TIME you park to get off the scooter
I have a Harley fork cuff and this parking brake doesn't DO anything. I have followed the manual carefully and the scary thing is it says "the parking brake wont work if the brakes are not adjusted correctly" o_O Thank you for the welcome friend

BTW... what is this cable thing in the tool pouch? Its the only thing in the tool pouch so it must be important.
Reaper
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Reaper »

kramnala58 wrote:BTW... what is this cable thing in the tool pouch? Its the only thing in the tool pouch so it must be important.
+1, what is this for?
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

OK, I'll look it up.
Page 87 of the owners manual states that it is a "Helmet wire".
I take that to mean that you thread the wire through a D-loop in your helmet strap and secure the ends of the wire to the hook under your seat.

And to answer your other question: - "I see this forum is host to the Honda PCX/Forza 2011-2014 and hopefully 2015 models, have I found the only forum that does so?"

Yes, this is pretty much the only PCX forum out there.

There is the Battle Scooter section of the Adventure rider forum which also has interesting PCX postings from time to time:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdis ... c46b1&f=36
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by homey »

Slickvic wrote:OK, I'll look it up.
Page 87 of the owners manual states that it is a "Helmet wire".
I take that to mean that you thread the wire through a D-loop in your helmet strap and secure the ends of the wire to the hook under your seat.
Thanks... and sorry for the noob question. Hey do you have the parking brake on your PCX? I could use a little help. Manual states that you set this by applying the rear brake while pulling the parking brake lock knob. After doing so I can still rotate the rear tire easily. It basically does nothing for the scooter. Not critical to me (parking brakes) but it also states that if the parking brake does not work your brakes are out of adjustment o_O and that would be critical to me! LOL
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by homey »

I am going out for my first ride just a few blocks to the bank today! YEA!!! I was going to go yesterday but the bank got robbed and some icehole or hummushole shot a young teller in the arm and then ran into my neighborhood so I had to put my Shepherd out back and sit in the garage with the owners manual and my 9mm. It was a needed read and I learned some cool stuff about the PCX. It really is a nice bike and it doesn't take much space to keep... does it really get that kind of gas mileage? You know I'm a prepper with all manner of useful crap but I'm going to add this scooter to my emergency preparedness inventory. I think I could escape the chaos and complete disorder and confusion that will grip the ChicagoLand area in the event SHTF on a scooter if I had to. Sliding by a traffic jam would be nice if anything from a dirty bomb to downed power grid spooked the populous. Yep, a couple hundred miles away from here without need for fuel or obstruction would be great... maybe I get the wife one.
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

Cable loop with black plastic covering is the helmet tie/strap. Goes through the D-link buckle on your helmet. Attaches to the half loop steel on the left side of the seat hinge.

As for the parking brake not working, that is due to improper assembly by the dealer. Almost all PCX's have this issue.

to FIX:

Set scooter on center stand.

Rotate clockwise the rear drum brake adjustment (look in manual for location and operation)

spin the rear tire by hand with the engine off. and rotate the adjustment. find where the brake begins to apply, and then back off several turns.

pull in the rear brake several times, rotate, and test making sure the tire still rotates freely with no brakes applied.

Now, pull hard on the rear brake, hold it, and pull the parking brake out all the way. Release rear brake. Should work perfectly now. If not, you have the adjustment too loose. The key is keeping the rear wheel free to spin, but having the rear brakes apply with slight brake modulation. the parking brake seems to be sensitive in its engagement setting.
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by homey »

OriginalRocket wrote:As for the parking brake not working, that is due to improper assembly by the dealer. Almost all PCX's have this issue.
That's what I'm talking about! Read your fix, executed, done and its works perfectly now... you are the man 8)
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Wow Homey I heard about a bank robbery on the news the other day. Was it the one where the teller was shot? I'm glad that you weren't there. Out in my neck of the woods we never have anything like that happen. Heck the police go around and check to see if your car doors are open, if you have something in your yard that is visible that a theft might steal or if you leave your garage door open. If you do they write a little reminder note to secure all doors and valuables.

I had an issue with my parking park after I switched my levers. I decided not to worry about it. I never really used the parking park in the year that I've had my scooter. I have the helmet cable to my husband to use on his bike since my helmet fits under my seat.
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by homey »

katschamne wrote:since my helmet fits under my seat.
Yes, and the shooter got away with the standard "undisclosed amount of money" Bank opened up today and the girl is recovering nicely. I hope my helmet will fit under the seat, it should arrive soon from Amazon. I do like your avatar and I might just do a pic like that for Shay Whitey :lol: My hat blew off twice and that's a pain since it is white too. I got spattered by what I thought was a tar truck leaving little black sprinkles all over Shay and me. Ruined a 7 dollar day glow vest but when I looked in the rear view it was hauling pot-a-pottty's... so

Modular helmets seem attractive to me and there wasn't any such thing when I last rode street. They look interesting with built in sun visors plus the prices are right on Amazon. If the size chart is useful maybe I get to roll over 50mph soon. btw how long to break in your scooter?
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

homey wrote:I am going out for my first ride just a few blocks to the bank today! YEA!!! I was going to go yesterday but the bank got robbed and some icehole or hummushole shot a young teller in the arm and then ran into my neighborhood so I had to put my Shepherd out back and sit in the garage with the owners manual and my 9mm. It was a needed read and I learned some cool stuff about the PCX. It really is a nice bike and it doesn't take much space to keep... does it really get that kind of gas mileage? You know I'm a prepper with all manner of useful crap but I'm going to add this scooter to my emergency preparedness inventory. I think I could escape the chaos and complete disorder and confusion that will grip the ChicagoLand area in the event SHTF on a scooter if I had to. Sliding by a traffic jam would be nice if anything from a dirty bomb to downed power grid spooked the populous. Yep, a couple hundred miles away from here without need for fuel or obstruction would be great... maybe I get the wife one.
Already thought about the PCX being a great "bug out" vehicle when the SHTF My Husband and I both have one. Just would have to consider storage options and armory. Ain't going far in a car when the SHTF!
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by homey »

Steph wrote:Already thought about the PCX being a great "bug out" vehicle when the SHTF My Husband and I both have one. Just would have to consider storage options and armory. Ain't going far in a car when the SHTF!
Hello Michigan, wave
I'm 30 miles out and would probably have time to evade a downwind dirty bomb situation in Chicago but a safe room has been established already with gear and radiation detection equipment in my home... so I would prefer to hunker down. It would have to be a strong wind blowing straight at me in decent weather before I would bolt on scooters but it's fun to plan! With Detroit already blown up Steph what city close to you is targeted by terrorists ;) or maybe you're just across the lake from me.

ummm what could we put in our scooter bug out back packs?
Item 1. gas siphon pump LOL
2. Taurus Judge
Duggle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 - 150
Color: black

Post by Duggle »

With so many military installations in San Diego I'm dead meat when the nukes start flying. No need to deal with all that survivor stuff. I'll just say my goodbyes now.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homey wrote:
Steph wrote:Already thought about the PCX being a great "bug out" vehicle when the SHTF My Husband and I both have one. Just would have to consider storage options and armory. Ain't going far in a car when the SHTF!
Hello Michigan, wave
I'm 30 miles out and would probably have time to evade a downwind dirty bomb situation in Chicago but a safe room has been established already with gear and radiation detection equipment in my home... so I would prefer to hunker down. It would have to be a strong wind blowing straight at me in decent weather before I would bolt on scooters but it's fun to plan! With Detroit already blown up Steph what city close to you is targeted by terrorists ;) or maybe you're just across the lake from me.

ummm what could we put in our scooter bug out back packs?
Item 1. gas siphon pump LOL
2. Taurus Judge

You have to be joking? Is this you GN2 taking the urine with stereotypes?
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by homey »