Health benefits of riding

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Health benefits of riding

Post by Jarec »

While on a long ride on twisty, bumpy back roads, I thought about the exercise I was getting: core muscles, neck (holding the helmet), and many other muscles as my body responded to the ride. I also was very alert, scanning for hazards. I returned a little tired and exhilarated.

Part of what is going on is whole body vibration. A couple of years ago there was an exercise fad using whole body vibration machines. The Mayo Clinic has this to say about whole body vibration:

Some research does show that whole-body vibration may help improve muscle strength and that it may help with weight loss when you also cut back on calories.

Whole-body vibration may also have a role beyond sports and fitness. Some research shows that whole-body vibration, when performed correctly and under medical supervision when needed, can:

Reduce back pain
Improve balance in older adults
Reduce bone loss

Here are some articles on the health benefits of riding.

Physical health: http://goodworkswellness.com/how-motorc ... al-health/

Burning calories: http://blog.leatherup.com/2010/05/11/mo ... -calories/

Brain function, even if you haven't ridden for awhile: http://andrewstemerman.com/health-benef ... otorcycle/
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Health benefits of riding

Post by homie »

then I'm gong to be one skinny little bish! I think mostly from just not being home for dinner.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I wholeheartedly agree as long as a truck doesn't run us over. o_O
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

So you can reach 67 mph? Not me. Feels unstable above 55 and haven't gotten it past about 60. I'm at 5200-6000 feet and wonder if that affects top speed.

How does it feel at 67 mph?
SECoda wrote:I wholeheartedly agree as long as a truck doesn't run us over. o_O
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I thought knocks to ligaments and joints on a frequent basis is not good at all - adds to wear and tear and problems down the line. You do not lose that many calories from a bit of movement.
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Apparently if you rode for an hour a day, you'd lose about half a pound a week, without further calorie intake. Or so someone says--I didn't do the math.

For me, it's not the calories so much as the continual need to adjust and respond, which uses lots of muscles in a good way. And of course the pure pleasure.

Haven't had knocks to ligaments or joints yet.
iceman wrote:I thought knocks to ligaments and joints on a frequent basis is not good at all - adds to wear and tear and problems down the line. You do not lose that many calories from a bit of movement.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
jblye
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Post by jblye »

1204 Titanium Javelin Pictures 033.jpg
1204 Titanium Javelin Pictures 033.jpg (112.56 KiB) Viewed 1334 times
With respect, the only way to lose weight when riding a two-wheeler
is by becoming the motor (by pedaling). I lost 37 pounds by pedaling
this titanium 30 speed Javelin recumbent 25 miles six days per week.

I've been riding motorcycles for 57 years. If they helped me lose
weight, I'd weigh 50 pounds now.

Losing weight is a never ending battle.....but riding motorcycles and
scooters is a lot of fun, at the very least. and that alone is worth a
lot.

Johnny
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

now I'm confused...
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Fine for a few miles here and there. I actually did most of a ten mile stretch at about 65 and just wanted to find out when the limiter kicked in. When you hit about 68 on mine at 450 ft El it kind of cycles up and down some rpms as it keeps hitting the rev limiter. If I did that much I would want a heavier bike but it is pretty stable. I did a stretch at 55 mph for sixteen miles right before I hit the 65 (speed limit is actually 70 here in Missouri on many highways) Most of my riding is at 30-40 by far.

Unstable how? Wheel wiggling in front? My wheels must be balanced because I don't feel any of the vibration some mention in their PCX's at high speed. When I got my bike new there was a cut when they unboxed and assembled it on the rear tire so I got a new one put on. They went ahead and balanced both the front and rear.
Jarec wrote:So you can reach 67 mph? Not me. Feels unstable above 55 and haven't gotten it past about 60. I'm at 5200-6000 feet and wonder if that affects top speed.

Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Your experience sounds different than mine, SECoda. For me, at around 55 the bike seems more loosely connected to the pavement, if that makes any sense. It is more prone to shifting in the lane because of wind, for instance. Maybe there is more wind here. And maybe your wheels are better balanced than mine.

Interesting re what it's like when the rev limiter kicks in. On a windless day on the flat I may ride for awhile at 55 and see how fast it will go.
SECoda wrote:Fine for a few miles here and there. I actually did most of a ten mile stretch at about 65 and just wanted to find out when the limiter kicked in. When you hit about 68 on mine at 450 ft El it kind of cycles up and down some rpms as it keeps hitting the rev limiter. If I did that much I would want a heavier bike but it is pretty stable. I did a stretch at 55 mph for sixteen miles right before I hit the 65 (speed limit is actually 70 here in Missouri on many highways) Most of my riding is at 30-40 by far.

Unstable how? Wheel wiggling in front? My wheels must be balanced because I don't feel any of the vibration some mention in their PCX's at high speed. When I got my bike new there was a cut when they unboxed and assembled it on the rear tire so I got a new one put on. They went ahead and balanced both the front and rear.
Jarec wrote:So you can reach 67 mph? Not me. Feels unstable above 55 and haven't gotten it past about 60. I'm at 5200-6000 feet and wonder if that affects top speed.

Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015

Post by Valiant »

I did break a lot of sweat during my MSF course, and that wasn't only because it was a hot day. My muscles were sore after the 8 hour class.

I think you could burn some calories by riding, but you'd need to do a LOT more sharp turning than what you'd encounter on a normal flat road. Maybe if you guys had your own large private parking lot with cones and lines set up, you'd really be getting some exercise. But for normal paved roads? Not likely.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

You would probably lose more calories on a short drive with a manual car - your just sitting there on a scooter. At least in a non-automatic you use your legs for brake, clutch and accelerator - more exercise than sitting and twisting a throttle. Even then it's a tiny amount compared to the calories you burn just living.
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

My riding tends to be on back roads, with curves and a fair amount of vibration from the road surface. I can feel my core muscles working to keep my back erect--something I don't need to do in a car--and also feel my body working to compensate for the effect of wind and general jostling caused by riding.
iceman wrote:You would probably lose more calories on a short drive with a manual car - your just sitting there on a scooter. At least in a non-automatic you use your legs for brake, clutch and accelerator - more exercise than sitting and twisting a throttle. Even then it's a tiny amount compared to the calories you burn just living.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

After we have been out on a ride for 5 or 6 hours we feel like all of our muscles have just had a workout, and we are usually soaked with sweat. I would have to say that riding is a good form of exercise....or else we are judt losing sweat because it is so hot outside when we ride, which doesn't explain why our muscles are sore.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

The day was windless with very little traffic. I have noticed the "lightness" a bit too with traffic (gusts) and wind at high speeds. That is why I would want a heavier bike at fast speeds if I did that much.
oh335i
Color: Black

Post by oh335i »

I've noticed my scooter is very sensitive to wind when I get up over 60 mph. Other than that she's very stable. I've only hit 63 or 64 max, she probably has a little more if I crouch down and if it wasn't windy outside. I don't think I've ever hit the rev limiter yet.

I got my scooter around 4 weeks ago, and each Sunday I go out for a nice long ride. The first Sunday I went 36 miles, then 50 miles the following Sunday, then 62 miles this past Sunday. The first long ride I had a sore butt, but not anymore, I guess I got used to the seat on the 2013 model. I love going riding, wish I had more time in the evenings, the days are starting to get short...and I don't do too much night riding.
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Someone mentioned that a 250cc pcx would be great and that might work very well for me. Not complaining about the 150, but like you said about a heavier bike at fast speeds...
SECoda wrote:The day was windless with very little traffic. I have noticed the "lightness" a bit too with traffic (gusts) and wind at high speeds. That is why I would want a heavier bike at fast speeds if I did that much.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Similar experience here, including my butt adjusting to longer rides. I too don't ride much at night--too much wildlife on the roads around here: deer, turkeys, foxes and recently bears :o
oh335i wrote:I've noticed my scooter is very sensitive to wind when I get up over 60 mph. Other than that she's very stable. I've only hit 63 or 64 max, she probably has a little more if I crouch down and if it wasn't windy outside. I don't think I've ever hit the rev limiter yet.

I got my scooter around 4 weeks ago, and each Sunday I go out for a nice long ride. The first Sunday I went 36 miles, then 50 miles the following Sunday, then 62 miles this past Sunday. The first long ride I had a sore butt, but not anymore, I guess I got used to the seat on the 2013 model. I love going riding, wish I had more time in the evenings, the days are starting to get short...and I don't do too much night riding.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360
scudder
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: metalic black

Post by scudder »

There may be small physical health benefits from using core muscles but I think the main benefit is positive mental health. Biking is just amazing.
Jarec
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jarec »

Agreed re mental health benefits!
scudder wrote:There may be small physical health benefits from using core muscles but I think the main benefit is positive mental health. Biking is just amazing.
Current ride
2013 PCX150

Former rides
Yamaha c3
Honda CB360