squealing drive belt

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

glynjroberts

squealing drive belt

Post by glynjroberts »

Hello,
My pcx was making some light squealing sounds whilst making slow manoeuvres, it was at 7500 miles so I put it into the shop for a new belt and rollers.
Its still squealing? There's a big hill near mine at my pcx let out an almighty squeal when I went up it.
Is it squealing because its new?

Hope to hear from you guys with some advice

Cheers Glyn
stryder123
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza
Color: Red

Re: squealing drive belt

Post by stryder123 »

It might be a bad bearing. Better let the shop hear the noise.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Definitely let the shop listen to it, and make sure they ride it uphill somewhere so that they can hear it while there is a load on it. By that I mean the rear end is pushing a lot more weigh going up a hill. If they don't find a problem with it, then keep an eye on it to see if it stays the same or if any additional sounds start, such as a grinding sound or something similar. It may just be the belt, but it could also be the start of something else.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I would video document the activity with sound right off so as to have no doubt when displaying this behavior to a service mech. Otherwise expect them to drag the anchor on going to a specific hilly location to ride beside you whilst they witness... just isn't going to happen. Replacing parts from their best guess is going to get expensive too, hope this gets sorted out fast.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

If any grease gets on the belt itself, it can squeal like a banshee. Try replacing the belt sometime soon and see if that fixes the issue. When you do that, clean off the variator and clutch faces.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
glynjroberts

Post by glynjroberts »

Yesterday the bike felt wooly lacklustre, slipping drive in slow manoeuvres and a delay when throttle was twisted, it also felt it like it was slipping at full speed, clock said 65 mph know where near cars flying past me like I was only doing 40.
I phoned up my Honda dealer and told them I'd be in 1st thing, amazingly after a test drive they couldn't find anything wrong, I told him to do slow circles in the car park, he and I could hear it slipping.
They recon its not the drive belt but the variator, its under warranty they're ordering one in for my but I'll have to limp around.
What does the variator do?

Glyn
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I had several occurences of symptoms like yours > 'Yesterday the bike felt wooly lacklustre, slipping drive in slow manoeuvres and a delay when throttle was twisted' < randomly over a few weeks - some days fine, often ok going into work but it did this behavior a few times on the way home - perhaps due to more stop/start/slow traffic.

It seems to have gone away now and I've done about 1500-1600 miles. Dealer also found nothing wrong when I took it to them but they only had a short test ride round the dealership. My worry was lack of throttle response taking off from lights and going round corners and being hit from behind.
glynjroberts

Post by glynjroberts »

They've changed the variator, the pads had disintegrated.
My bike squeals still when slowing to a stop, is it just the belt bedding in?