Is it safe?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

siplumb
Regular User
Regular User

Is it safe?

Post by siplumb »

All,

Just recently my PCX has started feeling a bit odd.. While idling at lights it has started to pull forward a bit, and it's become quite stiff to move forwards or backwards whether the engines running or not.. I'm not a mechanic but the best description I can come up with is that something feels like it's seizing up.. When I use the idle stop function it almost feels like a clunk when the engine cuts.. It's due for a big service next Friday, (it's done 15000 miles) but til then I was still going to use it for the commute.. (I'll do another 200 miles in the next week..) any thoughts?
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Re: Is it safe?

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Reach around the lower left behind the rear wheel. You will find your rear brake cable. Check to see what your free play is in the left brake handle and adjust accordingly. Maybe the cable is too tight? Maybe someone thought it would be a practical joke to tighten the nut a few turns not realizing the danger? The point is that the rear wheel should just barely drag and the front should spin freely. If this is not the case let us know and we will talk from there.

Also if the rear brake is set properly, with the bike running on the center stand you will watch the rear wheel turn as it idles.
danieljw
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: RED

Post by danieljw »

to me, it sounds like a clutch problem, one of which could be: #1 clutch pads have come loose off the actual clutch, or #2 the clutch springs have become slack / broken and the clutch is not retracting when at a low idle.. either way it sounds clutch related, i would advise (if you don't have a warranty) removing the transmition case,, visually inspecting the clutch, and if you have the correct tools, removed the clutch bell, and again visually inspect the clutch, if the clutch is not retracting completely this will be obvious when removing the clutch bell, and it won't come off freely due to the clutch stuck against it behind..
Last edited by danieljw on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Honda PCX125 - 1000miles

danieljw
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: RED

Post by danieljw »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Reach around the lower left behind the rear wheel. You will find your rear brake cable. Check to see what your free play is in the left brake handle and adjust accordingly. Maybe the cable is too tight? Maybe someone thought it would be a practical joke to tighten the nut a few turns not realizing the danger? The point is that the rear wheel should just barely drag and the front should spin freely. If this is not the case let us know and we will talk from there.

Also if the rear brake is set properly, with the bike running on the center stand you will watch the rear wheel turn as it idles.

this is not the case, the bike is pulling forward at idle..
Honda PCX125 - 1000miles

Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

If it's pulling forward you definitely have a clutch issue. The centrifugal clutch should disengage and allow the bike to coast from around 8-7mph to a stop. Check this picture for an example
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Honda centrifugal clutch.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (90.5 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Basically, as you twist the throttle and the engine RPMs raise, the clutch engages. As you are coasting to a stop below 10 miles an hour at some point the clutch disengages and the bike free rolls. If this is not happening your clutch shoes are damaged and need replacement.

Yes this would be dangerous. This would mean that the engine would not disengage from driving the rear wheel and you might not be able to stop the bike without laying it down. Similar to not being able to stop a manual transmission car with it in gear.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

siplumb wrote:All,

Just recently my PCX has started feeling a bit odd.. While idling at lights it has started to pull forward a bit, and it's become quite stiff to move forwards or backwards whether the engines running or not.. I'm not a mechanic but the best description I can come up with is that something feels like it's seizing up.. When I use the idle stop function it almost feels like a clunk when the engine cuts.. It's due for a big service next Friday, (it's done 15000 miles) but til then I was still going to use it for the commute.. (I'll do another 200 miles in the next week..) any thoughts?
Please report what was found at your big servicing.
Thanks, Fish
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Idle speed is too high or clutch shoe return springs are fooked.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong