reflective tape... now you see it

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

reflective tape... now you see it

Post by homie »

now you don't...
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Re: reflective tape... now you see it

Post by homie »

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Looks good & I like where you placed the tape. Did you purchase pre-cut strips or did you have one size roll and then cut to desired width and length? I dig it. You've been a busy scooter guy lately. Cheers to that! 8)
Sticky question...when it comes time that you want to remove the tape, they'll be sticky gummy stuff left behind Right? Will lighter fluid harm the paint? I use that a lot to get gooey sticker stuff off. I have reflective tape ready to apply but hesitating for goo sake :lol:
Well, what say ye homie? Dost thou know? Lighter fluid okay to use? :roll:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

I Just now saw your video pop up. Okay, so it's a Roll of reflective Wheel tape you used. That answers one of my questions.
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Sowaka
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Black

Post by Sowaka »

Looks fantastic! I'm looking at doing something similar to mine but I'm not stressing it too much since I can't even ride at night until I'm fully licensed! Mine especially needs it because I have a 100% black model...
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 PCX 125
Color: matt black

Post by wojtek_pl »

Good idea. Mine is black too. Hmmm... I wonder where to put reflective tape that it still would look good. :)
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

WhiteNoise wrote:Sticky question...when it comes time that you want to remove the tape, they'll be sticky gummy stuff left behind Right? Will lighter fluid harm the paint? I use that a lot to get gooey sticker stuff off. I have reflective tape ready to apply but hesitating for goo sake
Common rubbing alcohol was used to clear wax on the area to apply when I did the lower running boards with what was left of a roll after failed attempt weeks ago to do the rims... rims just too hard for Monk to get right. That month old application I pealed off yesterday because I'm always thinking just like you WhiteNoise LOL. There was no residue from this product after weeks but who knows after years.

I just removed huge decals off my Dodge that had been on 6 years with a (heat gun or hair dryer). That's always a sure way to remove old decals and pinstripe but there was residue and it took goofoff to clean it up. Light application of Goofoff on a rag if things get sticky is OK on plastic (never use straight acetone on paint or plastic).

Just one roll did all that you see with some left over. http://www.2wheelpros.com/progrip-wheel ... aQod5gcAqw

You guys with black bikes are pretty... but there is no black reflective you can go crazy with. This is a no brainer for the Shay Whitey LOL
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

opps wrong link to white progrip wheel tape

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Grip-Detail-T ... VSHAPBYVEK

There is a florescent line of this product too but I'll be dammed if I can use any on the PCX 14" wheel rims. Maybe its too wide or too rigid unlike regular pinstripe, or I just suck!
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

I ride a lot at night. Haven't thought of using reflective tape. Might be a good idea on the sides since the front and back are well lit. Looks good though.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Somebody you know vv :P (I think I met this dude somewhere :D ) Thanks for cleaning info ;)

@ 2yous, now you know who homie refers too! As Monk.
You're welcome :D
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (20.19 KiB) Viewed 6982 times
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

WhiteNoise wrote:Sticky question...when it comes time that you want to remove the tape, they'll be sticky gummy stuff left behind Right? Will lighter fluid harm the paint? I use that a lot to get gooey sticker stuff off. I have reflective tape ready to apply but hesitating for goo sake :lol:
Well, what say ye homie? Dost thou know? Lighter fluid okay to use? :roll:
I can't answer regarding lighter fluid, but I use a product called Goo Gone. It is available at WalMart in the US. There is also another brand called Goof Off that does the same thing, but I haven't tried it.

A caution I would have with putting decals or strips on and then taking them off after a long period of time would be faded paint. The paint under the decal/stripe will look original while the exposed paint will probably have faded some.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Thanks Mark for the sticky remover products. I'll have to look for it in WallyWorld next trip.
And you're right again! The paint will look different after an old sticker was stuck on your paint then removed! A few months back I removed some sticky door trim off my trucks front hood. What a treat that was. Fun? Not.
I used a hair dryer and some veggie oil. Took me awhile to do and now the paint is a little diff in color from the rest of the front hood. I might put another piece back on only because it protects the top edge of my hood's paint when I use a scraper to remove the snow/ice from the windshield ( :x winter).

Haven't said "this" in awhile....."I miss Florida!" Okay, said it. I'm good for awhile again :D
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Actually they have reflective tape in all different colors including black. I think it would be easier to apply black then find the right coor red for the red scooters. You can also apply these reflective tape to jackets and helmets.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Not sure I'll add side reflective decals to the scoot, but now winter is coming and with the UK clock change due in a few weeks meaning it will be dark going home at 5.30pm, I'm definitely buying a reflective over-jacket. My armoured jacket has reflective bits all over, but they are small, a good reflective vest seems sensible. Thinking of something like this in yellow: http://www.nothingnew2wear.com/high-vis ... 4177-p.asp
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Update on reflective material... looks good in the garage or with your cell phone camera light but on the street with your scoots LEDs in the headlights of a car or truck not only do I barely see the lower trim reflective material I put on I don't see the helmet tape, jacket patches, upper cowling front or back reflective material. This is a dismal failure in my opinion so perhaps someone can duplicate this to confirm.

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

DayGlo, Hi-Vis colors I have no doubt save us out there day and night but unless someone can show me different reflective tape and gear might be a feel good feature we are over paying for. I thought I was lite up like a Christmas tree at night but after this I might file reflective tape in the 'youyou knows best' archives :lol:
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by yak »

Thanks for the video.
This is very discouraging.
It seems like the very best moment for the reflective tape was at 53 seconds. You are outside the bright light of the headlights... your scooter is dark.... but your tape is glowing.
Homie, we have tried tape ( i just installed mine this morning..... DOT approved conspicuity tape with 2 colors red/white). Next we have to do neon lights.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

yak wrote:Thanks for the video.
This is very discouraging.
It seems like the very best moment for the reflective tape was at 53 seconds. You are outside the bright light of the headlights... your scooter is dark.... but your tape is glowing.
Homie, we have tried tape ( i just installed mine this morning..... DOT approved conspicuity tape with 2 colors red/white). Next we have to do neon lights.
The only thing I can think is my street is on an incline, I might turn my truck around and point downhill to get my headlight up higher but still this is very telling and the short distance you are seen at all is crazy! Low beam seems weak to me as well. I might use high beam at night after seeing this... we need more footage o_O EVEN THE STOCK REFLECTORS SUCK!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Huh? Bummer! Not getting it :roll: I caught glimpses of tape as you weaved towards your trucks lights, and saw reflective material on your jacket & helmet. But.......!! With all that tape you dressed yer scoot in? Monk frowns, Jack gives the smirk and Chief shakes his head.
This is disappointing homie :( Thanks for taking the time to ride and record this and for sharing.

@Sendler, if you're here...what went wrong? Is it about the quality of his tape, the placement, the lighting angle? What??? :roll: Tis a puzzlement
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 PCX 125
Color: matt black

Post by wojtek_pl »

Well, maybe the tape is not that good? Check the road signs. Those are reflective and you can see them from really far away.

I ordered some reflective tape to put on my backpack as I'm riding with one.

I need to find BLACK reflective tape to put on my black scooter. :)
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125