I can ride again!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

I can ride again!

Post by Valiant »

Took her for a spin around the neighborhood:

Lost the audio during editing, don't know where it went. This is a GoPro Hero3 Silver Edition, which was a little buggy as it tends to become unresponsive when plugged in with the USB, forcing me to unplug the battery.

Kind of feel like I still need to work on my cornering, as I find myself touching on a little braking during the turn, maybe backing off on the throttle when I should be rolling more on. The problem seems to be that I feel like if I roll on more throttle, I'll be thrown off on the opposite side.

The leg seems to be doing better. Might hurt a little bit if I put the foot down before I completely stop, but it's otherwise fine.

I've also bought some "convenience" stuff. Mostly sweat-wicking quick-dry clothing, because it's damn hot in the gear when I'm at a traffic light. Also put in an order for some Oakley's with prescription lenses. Regular glasses won't work well as the triple layer(glasses, sun visor, faceshield) stops airflow and causes persistent fogging, so a figure a polycarb two-in-one would work better. Was also considering the "cooling" shirts where you soak the thing in water for summer(got up to 90 degrees a week ago).
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: I can ride again!

Post by Mel46 »

The fact that you are riding again is good. The fact that you are cautious is good too, especially since your leg is not fully healed yet. Use caution until you feel that you are fully healed, because if you ride aggressively and have even a minor spill it could end your riding forever. Just take your time and enjoy the fact that you can ride. You only have about 25 to 30 miles of roads on that island, don't you? Well, it isn't going anywhere and will be there once you heal, so just enjoy your ride and be thankful that you can. :-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

In the video, around 7 mins in, it seems the road indications and layout suggest a left turn only - no going straight on or right? If true, why are the lights on both sides of the road ahead showing green? I notice you only moved when the left turn green light came on, but why the green showing straight ahead if it's left only? (I know the traffic coming the other way would have been a problem if you did attempt to go before the 'left arrow', just confused by the traffic scheme. Not ridden in the US before.
andyscooter

Post by andyscooter »

ya bugger

i cant ride yet due to 250kgs of suzuki being too heavy
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Mel46 wrote:The fact that you are riding again is good. The fact that you are cautious is good too, especially since your leg is not fully healed yet. Use caution until you feel that you are fully healed, because if you ride aggressively and have even a minor spill it could end your riding forever. Just take your time and enjoy the fact that you can ride. You only have about 25 to 30 miles of roads on that island, don't you? Well, it isn't going anywhere and will be there once you heal, so just enjoy your ride and be thankful that you can. :-)
True, though to be fair, a long ride by my standards(maybe 5-ish miles before I need to do a bathroom run :D ), is pretty short by anyone who lives on the mainland. I also think that continuous riding is better for my leg as opposed to start and stop traffic where I need to constantly put my foot down.

I also don't ride aggressively ;) .
iceman wrote:In the video, around 7 mins in, it seems the road indications and layout suggest a left turn only - no going straight on or right? If true, why are the lights on both sides of the road ahead showing green? I notice you only moved when the left turn green light came on, but why the green showing straight ahead if it's left only? (I know the traffic coming the other way would have been a problem if you did attempt to go before the 'left arrow', just confused by the traffic scheme. Not ridden in the US before.
You can go straight on the right lane, you'll see a couple of cars do that at 17:50. The scary part was, there was a moment I didn't notice the "No Left Turn on Red" sign until I wondered why the cars in front of me weren't moving.

All the more reason I'm looking to get my prescription Oakley's, hopefully by next week.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Went for a cruise around Diamond Head! Also found my audio ^_^

Nothing exciting, pretty much straight roads all around(can't find a twisty road outside of where I broke my leg).

The scenery however might give you an extreme urge to book a Hawaiian vacation though :D .
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Met my first asshole on the road today.

Signaled left, checked the mirror, saw a car at about a car length and a half away(which didn't seem to be getting any bigger), checked the left side(with my head), rolled on more throttle, then started going into the left lane. My first hint that something was wrong was when I heard the sound of an engine to my left, so I straightened the PCX out and stuck to the right side of that lane, looked to my left, and saw dickhead straddling halfway onto the line to his left(indicating he just moved out of my way). He quickly moved back into the lane and gunned it ahead of me.

Seems like my turn signal was a signal for him to put the medal to the metal lest he allow a scooter in front of him. Manhood issues?
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

Glad to see you back in the saddle! Love your location must be awesome to live there. My riding days are going to be over for about five months very soon. Unless I get a snowmobile suit. ;)
andyscooter

Post by andyscooter »

sat on the burger today and can hold it up

not sure about riding yet though as may be painful to put leg down when moving

getting off is a bit of a game as well
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

andyscooter wrote:sat on the burger today and can hold it up

Well you're right, as putting the foot down before the bike completely stops is a rather painful affair. Probably more for you if your current bike is heavier than the PCX.

I mostly waited until I could stand(not quite balance) on the broken leg and walk without much of a limp. I also did some laps in my small ass parking lot before I took it to the street(and only circled a few blocks). It does tend to hurt more the longer you ride(or put your weight on the leg), so I didn't want to be 5 miles away if the pain grew beyond my tolerance.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Steph wrote:Glad to see you back in the saddle! Love your location must be awesome to live there. My riding days are going to be over for about five months very soon. Unless I get a snowmobile suit. ;)
I'd be more worried about the effect of a frozen road on my tires.

But yeah, we only have one season here in Hawaii 8) .
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Can you use your other leg to steady you when you stop?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

First let me say that Hawaii is a nice place. I was able stationed there for a few years back in the late 70s (Coast Guard aviation Search And Rescue). I really enjoyed my time there.
Second, i would say that you are doing fairly well if you can handle the vibration from the bike while your leg is healing. When i owned my Burgman 400 the ride was extremely smooth in comparison to the PCX. However, the Burgman was a lot heavier and bulkier, which made riding it in the city a little bit of a chore. When i downsized to the PCX150 i found that it maneuvered so much better in tight spacess, but i felt the vibrations from it and the road much more, and i have a bad back. With your leg healing you are going to have to be mindful of the immediate pain as well as pain that will come after you have finished your ride. To me it is like the bones remember the vibrations and continue to send out signals for a while after the ride is over.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Mel46 wrote:.....and i have a bad back. With your leg healing you are going to have to be mindful of the immediate pain as well as pain that will come after you have finished your ride. To me it is like the bones remember the vibrations and continue to send out signals for a while after the ride is over.
I agree with Mel, I still go through this myself. It's so important to heal the very best "you" can before riding again. But....I do understand your anxiety. Been there too. Just saying Valiant. Take care ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Mel46 wrote:First let me say that Hawaii is a nice place. I was able stationed there for a few years back in the late 70s (Coast Guard aviation Search And Rescue). I really enjoyed my time there.
Second, i would say that you are doing fairly well if you can handle the vibration from the bike while your leg is healing. When i owned my Burgman 400 the ride was extremely smooth in comparison to the PCX. However, the Burgman was a lot heavier and bulkier, which made riding it in the city a little bit of a chore. When i downsized to the PCX150 i found that it maneuvered so much better in tight spacess, but i felt the vibrations from it and the road much more, and i have a bad back. With your leg healing you are going to have to be mindful of the immediate pain as well as pain that will come after you have finished your ride. To me it is like the bones remember the vibrations and continue to send out signals for a while after the ride is over.
Can't say I ever noticed any pain from vibrations, even when hitting a long strip of bumpy road.
you you wrote:

Can you use your other leg to steady you when you stop?
Didn't feel that steady, last time I tried. I just unbalanced it and pushed it back to the left foot anyway.
WhiteNoise wrote: I agree with Mel, I still go through this myself. It's so important to heal the very best "you" can before riding again. But....I do understand your anxiety. Been there too. Just saying Valiant. Take care ;)
True, but my Orthopedic Therapist gave me a simple rule-stick:
If you feel a sharp pain, stop what you're doing.
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

That's great that you are up and riding again. I started out with short trips with both my broken foot and then after I broke my shoulder. I felt the vibrations much more with my shoulder then I did with my foot. So I would start just riding to my husbands work and back which was 3 miles away. My husband started pushing longer and longer rides as he felt I was improving. I re-injured my foot although this time it isn't broken just a bad sprain. I finished up the 250 mile ride but I haven't been back on it since because hubby took it away til I healed a little more. He used the excuse that it needed an oil change....well it really did but I like to say he's a scooter napper.

Take it easy but it's great to see you are up and at it again. I've gotten so many people saying maybe I shouldn't ride my scooter after someone else caused the accident.
andyscooter

Post by andyscooter »

I'm back on the road

Went to drs today on the burgman only two miles each way but its back on the road
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

33:10

I saw them coming this time!

The video quality sucks at night, and I'm having trouble getting anything other than the left side view because gopro mounts suck. Hopefully the chest mount will take care of that. The view is actually more beautiful than it looks. One of the most relaxing rides I've ever had, and I've accumulated 130 miles thus far.

A nearby hurricane will be putting the brakes on my PCX for about another week, and will probably blow it over on its side again.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Someone at work just bought an SJ4000 - £40 1080p small camera that mounts great to a bike as lots of attachements are included - 32gb card capacity, comes with all the mounts and waterproof housing included in the price - beware, there are lots of fake ones about. Really considering getting this as the HD pic quality is outstanding for the low, low price.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

glad you had a complete and healthy recovery Valiant... be safe brother