PCX 2014/5 - 12v outlet fuse rating for tyre inflator

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

PCX 2014/5 - 12v outlet fuse rating for tyre inflator

Post by iceman »

Hi,
I've not got my owners or service manual with me and cannot find a copy of the new owners manual using google (only older 2012/3 versions).
Most tyre inflators using 12v power need up to 10A's current, with a few taking 5-6. Can someone check the manual and advise what fuse rating the 12v power outlet is on the new gen PCX's. Thanks!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: PCX 2014/5 - 12v outlet fuse rating for tyre inflator

Post by iceman »

It seems the fuse feeding the 12v outlet is rated at 5A's - so that rules out all the 12v powered tyre inflators. Manual is ok, but there is a US make of inflator that weights about 300 grams, takes 5-6A's and can inflate from flat to 36PSI in about 3 mins! It's small and portable so would have been nice to carry at all times - esp. with those tubeless tyre punch plugs in case of emergencies.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

iceman wrote:It seems the fuse feeding the 12v outlet is rated at 5A's - so that rules out all the 12v powered tyre inflators. Manual is ok, but there is a US make of inflator that weights about 300 grams, takes 5-6A's and can inflate from flat to 36PSI in about 3 mins! It's small and portable so would have been nice to carry at all times - esp. with those tubeless tyre punch plugs in case of emergencies.
I've used this pump to inflate inflatable 10ft donut with my PCX before. Uses alligator clips directly on the battery.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OF ... UTF8&psc=1

For a tire as small as a PCX, you can get a little tool and 3 small co2 cartridges and fill them that way. I have one but prob need to stock up on the cartridges. Haven't used it in 10 years. But, where I live is such a metropolis, that I'm never far from a gas station with air. And the PCX even with a flat is eady to push. =)

But, these days, you can just park your scoot, call a rideshare company like Uber, Lyft, or Sidecar and have them pick you up and take you to your garage or the store to buy a plug set, etc. So, I don't even bother for that type of thing. I guess it all depends on when/where you travel.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

I guess what I'm saying is bypass the 12V and get a tire inflator that uses alligator clips. That way, you can inflate the tire even faster as there is a voltage drop at the 12v accessory outlet as compared to the battery. In a car, it's usually 1.5V less. And, you wouldn't have to worry about fuses, 12v socket capability, etc.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

According to the description that one draws 28A's!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Although I could buy a normal hand/foot pump for £5-20 locally or electric 12v 10a one for £20-40, I'm now set on this model as it's reported to be very reliable and draws less than 5A!, so will work off the 12v fused outlet on the PCX via the cig lighter connection and only weighs 0.5KG!
http://www.motopumps.com/mini-pro-details/ (sold on Ebay too and costs $69 with free shipping inside the US ($20 to UK)).
This model seems to be re-badged as other makes (all the same) such as
http://www.amazon.com/Dynaplug-Mini-vol ... al_qh_dp_t
Think I'll also treat myself to an early Xmas prezzy with an optimate charger. Not sure what one, maybe v4 or v5, although v2, v3 and v6 are on sale now but v6 costs £90!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hey iceman, I have this 12v inflator: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200328573
that I hook up to the SAE lead (that's always connected) & coming off my battery terminals.
That lead came with :) my Optimate Battery tender/charger. I also have a Battery Tender Jr. from another bike so I can choose either tender to use off of that lead.
Point is, you can buy a 12v air inflator if you go this route and hook up your inflator to the sae lead. It's what I do 8)
I appreciate you bringing the voltage of our "freebie" 2015 socket to our attention. I had not given that a thought yet!
I like the way you think. Cheers iceman!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

'88 BMW R100RT
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

WhiteNoise wrote:Hey iceman, I have this 12v inflator: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200328573
that I hook up to the SAE lead (that's always connected) & coming off my battery terminals.
That lead came with :) my Optimate Battery tender/charger. I also have a Battery Tender Jr. from another bike so I can choose either tender to use off of that lead.
Point is, you can buy a 12v air inflator if you go this route and hook up your inflator to the sae lead. It's what I do 8)
I appreciate you bringing the voltage of our "freebie" 2015 socket to our attention. I had not given that a thought yet!
I like the way you think. Cheers iceman!

Not thinking about it, I tried using one inflator that my husband has for his bike. It killed my fuse in the socket I had installed. I do have a Battery Tender Jr as well from the charger we have as well so I'll just look for the Inflator that you suggest. I like that one.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Inflator arrived (ordered from the US as it was a good one, low amperage (5A) and accurate gauge). I attached it with clips to the battery rather than use the 12v - just because it was easy to do and it was the first time using it. Front tyre was about 1 psi down, the rear showed as 26! (from cold, not 33). Now sorted and took meat seconds to inflate the 7 psi.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Just drag the one you have over to he nearest car and never plug it into the little bike, it will have at least a 10ft cord.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Today it's at work parked in a bike bay. I started the bike running but considering the low load, and 20 seconds to put 7psi in, no worries just taking a little current for a short period. A very small but powerful little motor, can easily top-up both tyres in less than a minute. It's the first time I've had a look at the battery area since ownership.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

iceman, which inflator did you get from the U.S.? Share a Link or pic? :? Or, did I miss that info somewhere?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

I mentioned it above, and was on offer with %10-15 off or such)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... s&_sacat=0
This model seems to be re-badged as other makes (all the same) such as
http://www.amazon.com/Dynaplug-Mini-vol ... al_qh_dp_t
Mine came with soft carry case and extra leads (battery croc-clip connectors to SAE, permanent battery fixings to SAE).
A bit more expensive than some, but all reviews say it's reliable, can be used continuous for 30mins, and accurate gauge (youtube video))