Two Scooter Household

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Two Scooter Household

Post by SECoda »

After just buying PCX 150 last summer I forged ahead with a late season Forza purchase given the discounts wih the current recall. I have had much consternation in slowly convincing my wife of the merits of having two different sized scooters (I will call a small and midrange). We are significant campers in a trailer and the PCX has served me well by being very easy to manage on a car carrier by myself on the various trips. It has also been perfect for campgrounds, parks, and local touring to winery areas and other tourist spots within easy riding of the camp site.

The problem became that my buddies with Harleys, touring Hondas, and larger bikes wanted to do the scenic touring on bikes down in the Ozark mountains south of where I live starting about 50 miles down the interstate with hundreds if not thousands of miles to tour. The best way to get to the start of the scenic areas is via the interstate that runs near my house and then get off on the secondary roads. We are set at 70 mph here and most folks are going 70-75 much of the time. I always had to hang back and catch up in the few trips I attempted but I found myself avoiding them. The Forza 300 while similar to the PCX in many ways and definitely with some overlap in touring capability seems to be one answer to the dilemma. More than enough speed when needed to keep up with the pack, yet light and nimble compared to the heavy beasts I sometimes ride with (referring to the bikes and not the owners :lol: )

I think I have begun to convince my wife finally that two distinct bikes are best for the situation. The Forza is simply too heavy and large to haul on the carrier IMO and handle without help. The PCX is a little better IMO for the 10-15 mph restrictions around many campgrounds we frequent. It has been a struggle to hang on to the PCX (spousal pressure) as I am buying the Forza but I think she is coming around. :P
JoshM
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 VStrom 650

Re: Two Scooter Household

Post by JoshM »

Would you care to share your OTD before taxes?
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

On the Forza (no ABS) it was $4800 + $199 OTD.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

SECoda wrote:... It has been a struggle to hang on to the PCX (spousal pressure) ...
Lol, isn't that why we have our spouse ... just to keep us honest.

Also, just wondering, did you consider the Silver Wing?
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

SECoda wrote:On the Forza (no ABS) it was $4800 + $199 OTD.
You still haven't swapped out the variator? =(

Congrats on the Forza. Looking forward to hearing your impressions! I owned a Reflex and was unimpressed. I think the extra 30cc and the fuel injection should go a long way in making in a cut above the Reflex. Interested to see what sustained speeds can be achieved on a flat without crouching/tucking.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

My gut feeling is that there are probably two sweet spots in the world of scooters. 125-150cc and 300-not to exceed 400cc ranges. The Forza, at a bit below 300, seems to trying to split the difference to an extent, on the high end of the middle ground.

Anything bigger than 400 and in my book you might as well just buy a Honda NC700x with the DCT and be done with it.

So far, the closest thing I've seen to an only scooter is probably a Kymco 300i or a Piaggio BV350 if you had to have the best compromise of not too big, not too small. Forza seems to be in the hunt too, but I haven't seen one in the wild yet.
'88 BMW R100RT
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I sat on a used Silverwing and it is a bit heavier than i wanted (550 lbs.) but i would have considered it more if we had some around here. I have not seen any new ones in my area and the last ones were 2013. I am not sure what Honda has planned for them in the US in the future.
kramnala58 wrote:
SECoda wrote:... It has been a struggle to hang on to the PCX (spousal pressure) ...
Lol, isn't that why we have our spouse ... just to keep us honest.

Also, just wondering, did you consider the Silver Wing?
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I really liked the Kymco Downtown 300i with one major issue. It was designed for someone under 5'9" IMO. Just way too cramped which is too bad. I guess a custom seat could help. It only weighed 367 lbs and i have a large supporting dealer very close. My brother owns a Kymco scooter and side-by-side and loves them. Very reliable. No recalls.
kcpcx wrote:My gut feeling is that there are probably two sweet spots in the world of scooters. 125-150cc and 300-not to exceed 400cc ranges. The Forza, at a bit below 300, seems to trying to split the difference to an extent, on the high end of the middle ground.

Anything bigger than 400 and in my book you might as well just buy a Honda NC700x with the DCT and be done with it.

So far, the closest thing I've seen to an only scooter is probably a Kymco 300i or a Piaggio BV350 if you had to have the best compromise of not too big, not too small. Forza seems to be in the hunt too, but I haven't seen one in the wild yet.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I will wait for the Forza delivery now before i mess up Lol the PCX. It is getting near its 2500 mile service too soon. I keep reading that 87 mph is about it with the tall Givi. I also read a new pipe gets them to 95. You figure about 13 hp PCX vs 25 hp Forza with 138 lb weight difference. It should be a bit friskier.
ScooterMan wrote:
You still haven't swapped out the variator? =(

Congrats on the Forza. Looking forward to hearing your impressions! I owned a Reflex and was unimpressed. I think the extra 30cc and the fuel injection should go a long way in making in a cut above the Reflex. Interested to see what sustained speeds can be achieved on a flat without crouching/tucking.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think you are doing the right thing by getting a second scooter, this new one being bigger. We had a used Burgman 400 and loved it. It was set up for two up riding and was very comfortable. The problem I had occurred after my wife got her PCX. Then she scooted all over the place and no longer wanted anything to do with riding as a passenger. So then we spent our time in places where the PCX could go, so I traded for another PCX. However, if we had a riding group like the one you mentioned, I would have kept the Burgman.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
JoshM
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 VStrom 650

Post by JoshM »

Nice! It'd be hard to turn one down at that price.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I heard in Florida with the recall now and pump problems before they are being discounted too and quite a few on the market. I think it is a real good time to buy one if you might want one while they are at a disadvantage. With the GM ignition recall comparisons are being made on the forums to the fuel pump problem. It is a serious PR thing for Honda.
JoshM wrote:
Nice! It'd be hard to turn one down at that price.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Lol, I posted this on the wrong thread. GOt it in the right thread too...just didn't know it ended up here! Oops.