Okay to run Premium gas in PCX150

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

jkautz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Metallic Black

Okay to run Premium gas in PCX150

Post by jkautz »

Can I run premium gas in my PCX150? Or would it do more worse than good?

2015 PCX150 Metallic Black
Prestige
Prestige
Color: Pearl White

Re: Okay to run Premium gas in PCX150

Post by homie »

not necessary and some here will say can do harm to the little engine over long term use.
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkautz »

homie wrote:not necessary and some here will say can do harm to the little engine over long term use.
So safe to say stick with 87 octane?

Regular User
Year: 2015 VStrom 650

Post by JoshM »

Stick with what the owner manual says = 87 (US)

Filling with premium does nothing except empty your bank account a little bit more than "low grade".
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by Tom192 »

I see quite an improvement in mpg running shell v power nitro + 98 octane uk
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Tom192 wrote:I see quite an improvement in mpg running shell v power nitro + 98 octane uk
Its all in your head.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I only use standard unleaded petrol (cheapest) and have some of the highest mpg figures in Fuelly - like with many things in life, more expensive does not mean better.
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by Tom192 »

gn2 wrote:
Tom192 wrote:I see quite an improvement in mpg running shell v power nitro + 98 octane uk
Its all in your head.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I tried 98 octane not long after I got my bike to compare it to 95. It made no difference in my opinion.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Today we went for a long ride, including some freeway time. We had filled up the day before at a remote gas station...we went for a long ride yesterday also. When we started out this morning the bikes were spitting and sputtering, and almost shut off several times. The station we had filled up at only had gas that had 10% ethanol in it. Our ride today was uneventful but not smooth. Once the gas gauge was finally down at the halfway mark we filled up with medium grade gas. That seemed to dilute the bad gas enough that we regained our smooth running engine and quick acceleration. Other than that, mileage was just about the same, so I am thinking that higher octane probably won't do much more than smooth out a rough running engine. I doubt that it would give you enough of a gas mileage gain to warrant putting high test into your tank each time you fill up.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Color: black

Post by yak »

There is another thread with 15 answers on this subject. Most people say that 87 (USA) is fine.

The owners manual (USA) http://mototh.com/files/honda/PCX150i/H ... al-Eng.pdf
on page 36 it says to use unleaded with a number of 91 (USA) or higher. On page 37 it says to not use gas with more than 10% ethanol.

When i had my scooter at the dealership last week i asked to speak to the mechanic who specializes on PCX. I told him about the forum members saying that 87 (USA) was fine. He said that i should use 91 (USA). He did not give me much explanation.

I asked a car mechanic who said that you can use a lower octane unless you hear pinging (knocking?). Then go up in octane until that sound goes away.
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkautz »

So in the 2015 manual it will instruct to use 91 (premium) or higher?? Im gonna have to look in there tonight.

Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

I realize this isn't a scooter, but for what it's worth...

My car is one that supposedly would derive a benefit from running premium gas. A 2014 VW Jetta with the 1.8L turbo engine.

I've run tanks of 87 and 91 octane through back to back to see if there is a noticeable difference in fuel economy or power.

I've noticed zero difference in either.

The only benefit I can see to running premium fuel is that premium grade is ethanol-free in many cases in my area. Getting rid of the ethanol, in my opinion, would be a much more valid reason to pay more for premium fuel than a hoped for MPG or performance increase.

I know some people are sold on their vehicle running better on premium. There may be a limited number of vehicles or situations where this is the case, but in general I think this perceived improvement is a case of the placebo effect. The placebo effect is well documented in medicine, and I think the same psychological phenomenon exists in other areas, too.
'88 BMW R100RT
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

kcpcx wrote:Getting rid of the ethanol, in my opinion, would be a much more valid reason to pay more for premium
Fortunately the PCX (like all Honda road two wheelers) is designed to run on a 10% ethanol mix.
So there's no reason to use premium in a PCX (or Forza)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

^ This is true. I try to avoid the ethanol gas for political reasons, not for fear of harming the scoot.

Also, the non ethanol fuel seems to last longer before going stale, without having to add stabilizer. I notice this when using a can to fill my lawn equipment. Takes a while to go through 5 gallons of fuel using a push mower, and the fuel deteriorates before the can is empty if it sits too long. At least it seems to.
'88 BMW R100RT
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Color: black

Post by yak »

Correction to my earlier post. The minimum octane for USA is 86. For UK it is 91. (Thanks to forum member Mel for this information from the owners manual).

In answer to your original question, when i bought my scooter (i am 2nd owner).... the previous owner had used only Premium gas for 2,000 miles. No problems noted.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

yak wrote:The minimum octane for USA is 86. For UK it is 91
Reason for this is that octane ratings are not universal which is why its essential to use what the relevant manual says.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
Its all in your head.
And not in the pocket..
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkautz »

I checked the manual as well. It does say 86+ octane in the US. I think I'll stick with 87 octane and maybe run 89 on occassion to see if it can clean it up a little.

Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

So much miss information in this thread.

YES you can run premium.
NO it will do nothing for your PCX. and potentially lower your MPG's (slightly) due to lower BTU's in the fuel.

Depending on location the % of ethanol is different per grade, up to the national allowed 10% (E-10) Even premium has some % of ethanol. As it is a replacement for mtbf fuel antifreeze.

If you want to run premium fuel for its (claimed) cleaning ability, you would be much better served by a injector cleaner that contains PEA.

As mentioned before, US and European use different ratings. The European use Research Octane Number . We in the USA use (RON+MON)/2. Which is called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), or Posted Octane Number (PON) 87,89,91,93 are the most common. elevation plays a factor so you may see lower numbers in higher elevation states. An internet search will lead you to how all this is calculated and why.