SimCarbon fiber wrap

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

SimCarbon fiber wrap

Post by homie »

I like a carbon fiber look (partially) on my stock PCX windscreen 8) I have seen it done nicely so I bought some decent quality product and set out to do it myself. The service manual made removal of the trim and windscreen literally 2 screws, snap, snap slide, 4 bolts DONE!

The SimCarbon product was inexpensive and looks very easy to work with on youtube. I owned the heat gun, application tool, my shop even has the cutting table and I have the patience of Job :roll:
So here is the beautiful finished product and final results... enjoy!
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Re: SimCarbon fiber wrap

Post by dasshreddar »

Probably not going to be as aerodynamic as the stock windscreen now... :lol:
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (UK)
Color: Black

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

I can only see the one pic? looks like a pain in the ass....
Honda PCX 125 ESP (Black)
Power:11.7 hp @8500 rpm, Torque:12Nm @5000rpm
Mods: LED sidelights, Yoshimura Exhaust

DEAD: 2013 Piaggio Typhoon 4 stroke 125cc (Black)
Power:9.65 HP @8500 rpm, Torque:8.2Nm @7500 rpm
Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Urbanfreestyle wrote:I can only see the one pic? looks like a pain in the ass....
3 attempts, all fail... pain in ass under statement, never do it :lol:

I would still love to have a real carbon fiber windscreen for a 2015 PCX but it's not looking very likely right now.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

I weighed the stock windscreen on my 2013. It is 1.5lbs. A REAL cf unit would take away at least 2/3 of that, prob more. Not sure I'd pay the premium for the weight loss there when it could be lost cheaper somewhere else. I wouldn't be doing it for looks, only weight savings.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

ScooterMan wrote:I weighed the stock windscreen on my 2013. It is 1.5lbs. A REAL cf unit would take away at least 2/3 of that, prob more. Not sure I'd pay the premium for the weight loss there when it could be lost cheaper somewhere else. I wouldn't be doing it for looks, only weight savings.
Chief asks, if you put all the stuff you took off for weight reduction back on and went on a diet wouldn't you have the same performance? You have to forgive Chief sometimes.
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

A friend of mine bought some carbon fiber look duct tape. He taped a couple spars on one of his boats, and it looked good. He was careful about lining up the edges, etc. If all you want is the look, this might be an inexpensive alternative.
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

CaptnJim wrote:A friend of mine bought some carbon fiber look duct tape. He taped a couple spars on one of his boats, and it looked good. He was careful about lining up the edges, etc. If all you want is the look, this might be an inexpensive alternative.
You know Cap'nJim, they make most things on youtube look harder than they are when it comes to the scooter but this... this is some seriously difficult medium to work with. First your object to cover needs to be stable, like a car or tree ;) Then you need to keep it off of itself after removing the backing. I think we can all do that but it doesn't stretch without heat and it melts if too hot. This delicate balance of holding the object, applying the material and not over heating it to manipulate around even the most casual curve whilst not creasing any part of it..... is maddening!

Where is this carbon fiber duct tape... if it has the typical adhesive it will damage the plastic. That is one attractive feature of the wrap, it effectively seals and protects things in time.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

CaptnJim wrote:A friend of mine bought some carbon fiber look duct tape. He taped a couple spars on one of his boats, and it looked good. He was careful about lining up the edges, etc. If all you want is the look, this might be an inexpensive alternative.

But wht?