Homie was right!!! 13g better than 12g rollers!

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Homie was right!!! 13g better than 12g rollers!

Post by homie »

sendler2112 wrote:Crazy long gearing in a good way. I am going to order an NCY variator as soon as they get the NCY drive face back in stock.
I'm always going to be running at lower RPM at top speed with a 2015 over earlier PCX models right? With or without NCY pulley's? Sorry if that's a stupid question I don't grasp motor head stuff too well yet 8)
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

Rev limiter is 9800+ RPM... For example at this moment with JCosta vario I'm at 9500+ around 120Kph. I'm not sure but I think is that. What I know for sure is the rev limiter.
With sliders I have less RPM for the same speed when I give full throtle and keep it.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

It was reported that the coating in the ramps of the NCY variator didn't work well with the sliders for some reason.
DeaninMilwaukee
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by DeaninMilwaukee »

sendler2112 wrote:It was reported that the coating in the ramps of the NCY variator didn't work well with the sliders for some reason.

Hmm, that means we can potentially get more speed with the NCY variator and rollers, but will have to deal with flat spotted rollers forever, where the dr pulleys will last much longer and also give a bit more top speed compared to stock. This is not an easy call.

It should be interesting to see what the NCY is capable of, and exactly what speed its going when the engines at the 8500 rpm hp peak. If I'm understanding correctly, the stock setup is doing about 60mph at 8500, so any additional speed is coming as the motor is actually getting weaker. Its no wonder acceleration after 60 mph is so slow.

Dean
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

I know what you are saying about the decision. I have DrPulley sliders in my stock vario now and after about 14,000 miles they are slightly discolored from metal dust but would probably measure almost as new. I will probably try to make another set work in the NCY vario with some dry graphite lube before I give up and just use rollers. The NCY can hit 80 mph down hill and runs about 8,000 rpm at 62 mph which should give a slight increase in fuel economy at that speed.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

sendler2112 wrote:Crazy long gearing in a good way. I am going to order an NCY variator as soon as they get the NCY drive face back in stock.
This one is being a PITA, as no one over at Corsport USA can give me any kind of ETA on that part, be it a week or a year from now.
DeaninMilwaukee
Regular User
Regular User

sendler2112 wrote:The NCY can hit 80 mph down hill and runs about 8,000 rpm at 62 mph which should give a slight increase in fuel economy at that speed.
Based on those numbers, it sounds like the NCY raised the overall top ratio by almost 10%, speed at 8500 rpm hp peak from 60.2mph to 65.9mph. Thats actually huge for a easily installed part that costs only $25.

I for one will be eagerly awaiting your results, especially if you can make the sliders work.

Dean

BTW, this place seems to be in stock: http://ocfuncycles.com/ncy-drive-face-a ... -honda-pcx

This one too: http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/alum ... x-ncy.html
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Thanks for the links!

I guess at this point it might be quicker to order from another source, and take the chance I might end up with a double, rather than wait for who knows how long.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

I'm curious after seeing these offered on the various sites:
http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/supe ... x-ncy.html

http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/seco ... x-ncy.html

Do they improve the performance at all, or do the downsides outweigh the upsides?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Valiant wrote:I'm curious after seeing these offered on the various sites:
http://www.monsterscooterparts.com/supe ... x-ncy.html
I don't know if anyone has tried the NCY rear parts but it would probably work out really nice as a package. Pcxdemon has tested just about every drivetrain part on the market. I'm a commuter looking for a bit more top speed and I'm cheap and don't really have any dislike for the stock clutch or progressive torque slot so I am just going to go for the vario and drive face with lighter than stock weights and a new belt. A slightly higher rpm than stock clutch action might be nice as it would give an earlier release when coasting up to stop lights.
DeaninMilwaukee
Regular User
Regular User

sendler2112 wrote:
Valiant wrote: so I am just going to go for the vario and drive face with lighter than stock weights and a new belt.

I think I misunderstood your previous posts, I thought you ONLY needed to change out the $25 drive face, keeping the rest of the variator stock honda?

If you do need to replace all three parts ( plus weights), this place has a good package deal and sells the weights too: https://www.scooterdomain.com/ncy-varia ... -1190.html

I checked their shipping, to my address ncy variator kit and 13 gram ncy weights shipped was $91.73

Dean
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

The variator is the main piece that you do need. It has the modified ramps and coating that lets the weights push the belt all the way out to the edge. It was found that the drive face also helps maybe because it is cut down at the boss to fit closer. My post was confusing because Scooterworks had the vario but not the drive face I needed to go with it.
I am going to start with 12gm weights to get the pulling rpms to 8,000 that I am running now although a couple users seem to like the 13gm better.
DeaninMilwaukee
Regular User
Regular User

I did read it wrong then, I thought you could just use the drive face alone. Thanks for the clarification. I will be waiting to see your results. Being able to make 70mph reliably would be well worth the money.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

sendler2112 wrote:I am going to start with 12gm weights to get the pulling rpms to 8,000 that I am running now although a couple users seem to like the 13gm better.
I would be one who likes the 13's over 12gm rollers more and my comparison was to stock vario first.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Little update on the Monster Scooters site:
Though it says the parts are in stock(I tried the drive face & 13 gram roller weights), they are not.
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by vamootsman »

DeaninMilwaukee wrote:I did read it wrong then, I thought you could just use the drive face alone. Thanks for the clarification. I will be waiting to see your results. Being able to make 70mph reliably would be well worth the money.
If all you do is the variator, drive face, and rollers. I don't know how you will be able to "reliably" hit 70mph without going downhill in a Tuck.
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Valiant wrote:Little update on the Monster Scooters site:
Though it says the parts are in stock(I tried the drive face & 13 gram roller weights), they are not.
Even though I called in my order, they are just an e-tailer and don't even touch these parts that they are selling. And so. don't really have a clue what is available and what is not. She emailed me back and said that the drive face is not available. So I cancelled my order for now. There is something different about the drive face that lets it work better with the NCY variator so that they are both necessary it seems.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

vamootsman wrote:If all you do is the variator, drive face, and rollers. I don't know how you will be able to "reliably" hit 70mph without going downhill in a Tuck.
Down a steep hill in a tuck, 78 mph is normal for the NCY vario and face. On the flat crouched just over the top of my trimmed Givi windshield I am redlining at 67 mph. With the longer gearing of the NCY, 70 or more will be no problem.
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by vamootsman »

sendler2112 wrote:
vamootsman wrote:If all you do is the variator, drive face, and rollers. I don't know how you will be able to "reliably" hit 70mph without going downhill in a Tuck.
Down a steep hill in a tuck, 78 mph is normal for the NCY vario and face. On the flat crouched just over the top of my trimmed Givi windshield I am redlining at 67 mph. With the longer gearing of the NCY, 70 or more will be no problem.
Mine wouldn't hit the rev limiter at 65 without a tailwind and/or going downhill with or without the Givi Shield, before I put the NCY parts in. With the NCY parts installed, on the flats it still runs out of power before it hits the limiter with or without the exhaust and pod filter. About 65 is what I would call reliable. Anything over that requires variables like drafting and tail wind.
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

vamootsman wrote:
sendler2112 wrote:
Mine wouldn't hit the rev limiter at 65 without a tailwind and/or going downhill with or without the Givi Shield, before I put the NCY parts in. With the NCY parts installed, on the flats it still runs out of power before it hits the limiter with or without the exhaust and pod filter. About 65 is what I would call reliable. Anything over that requires variables like drafting and tail wind.
Seems like homie had more luck:

I myself plan to do the same mods, but with an aftermarket exhaust as well as a DNA air filter.

I would assume I could go faster with the same mods, as I don't have oversized tires like homie does.

I'm also thinking that removing the snorkel should be "safer" given that my new filter uses a cotton element(with a metal fiber reinforcement IIRC) rather than paper(which I assume is what the stock one is), so I would think water getting on it would be no issue.