Klack! Klack! Klack! Sigh...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

PCXCB1000R

Klack! Klack! Klack! Sigh...

Post by PCXCB1000R »

I was moving about 60 mph traveling on the highway on my way back from a 160 mile trip for pizza when it felt like I hit the kill switch. No power engine dead, coasted to stop. Tried starting it, turns over well but makes a "klack, klack, klack" noise and doesn't start. It has spark, pulled plug and hit the starter with my finger on the hole... didn't feel any compression.

Sigh.

It's at the dealer under. 913 miles on the clock. Crap!

I'd like to know what it is, but they were very busy with bikes to repair so may be a while.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: Klack! Klack! Klack! Sigh...

Post by maddiedog »

Wow, that's a quick fail. Klacks are never good too, I wonder if they didn't properly tighten a valve.

You should still be under warranty though, right?

Have you done the first service yet?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
PCXCB1000R

Post by PCXCB1000R »

Nope, hadn't had it serviced yet. I had changed the oil, so was worried I did something wrong.

Dealer finally disassembled it this week and said it looked like someone threw a grenade in there. They said it looked like the wrist pin clip had come off and the pin slid sideways and contacted the cylinder wall, snapped the connecting rod and cracked the case.

Parts on order, under warranty. I miss my gas saver.

8)
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Perhaps the pin clip wasn't properly clipped from the factory...

Either way, wow, glad to hear they're fixing it.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
PCXCB1000R

Post by PCXCB1000R »

Wow! Still no parts from Honda. They will cover it under warranty, but backordered parts for close to 2 and 1/2 months now. I bought a Honda CBR250R in the meantime as a replacement, but still waiting. Kind of sucks to pay for something they can't supply the parts to fix. Warranty and summer are ticking away. Not impressed. Dealer keeps talking to the Honda rep, but no action taken yet.
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

PCXCB1000R wrote:Wow! Still no parts from Honda. They will cover it under warranty, but backordered parts for close to 2 and 1/2 months now. I bought a Honda CBR250R in the meantime as a replacement, but still waiting. Kind of sucks to pay for something they can't supply the parts to fix. Warranty and summer are ticking away. Not impressed. Dealer keeps talking to the Honda rep, but no action taken yet.
thats BS and unacceptable, IMO. i would be insisting on a full buyback due to the points in red above!
ptmcd1

Post by ptmcd1 »

please contact honda motorcycle customer service with your issue and questions, there may be more to the story. is the dealer on parts hold due to lack of payments to honda parts? by contacting customer service they should be able to tell if dealer has ordered parts. please be nice to the person on the phone at customer service they are there to assist you but they cannot fix problems beyound thier phone.
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

ptmcd1 wrote:please contact honda motorcycle customer service with your issue and questions, there may be more to the story. is the dealer on parts hold due to lack of payments to honda parts? by contacting customer service they should be able to tell if dealer has ordered parts. please be nice to the person on the phone at customer service they are there to assist you but they cannot fix problems beyound thier phone.
good advice to find out if its the dealer or honda USA.

i would find out and then start the small claims court process on this one if i didnt get my money back on this lemon bike that they havent fixed. its totally outragous to keep you waiting this long, IMO.
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

I wonder what caused such a catastrophic failure.

Was the cooling system full of coolant?

Did they speak as to the causes of the pin shifting? If it happened at 900 miles, it means it's not just an improper assembly of the motor. More like a defective part or perhaps some abuse done to the engine before you (like they tested it while at first forgetting to put the oil in it).
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

If it is to be rapaired and if it was me, I would be wanting, nay demanding a completely new engine.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

gn2 wrote:If it is to be rapaired and if it was me, I would be wanting, nay demanding a completely new engine.
Same here, at the very least I would want a complete new engine!
PCXCB1000R

Post by PCXCB1000R »

Thanks for all the comments... appreciated.

I called the dealer again today and he said the parts are in and it will be done by the end of the week.

Yay! Still not happy about the whole situation... kind of dissatisfying... I should have raised more of a fuss and gotten a 150cc. :)