Idling stop "safety concerns"?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Idling stop

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
Mel46 wrote: We have very little patience with devices that don't work right the first time every time.
Except Harleys we will push them the whole way and never complain because they still look cool. Hey they should try this on a Harley Davidson first and no one would get excited if it didn't work :lol:

Like the rest of the bike.

Harleys only really look cool to North Americans

Most motorcyclist in the real world wouldn't be seen dead on one

(Unless gay obv)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Alibally wrote:
haildamage wrote:i know a guy who stopped his bike without putting the kickstand down or turning it off. the idle stop shut the engine down. he dismounted and then went to push the scoot into the place he wanted to park it and twisted the throttle in the process. the bike shot forward breaking the plate glass window of the business he was about to go into and injuring his hand. moral of this story: you have to be sure to turn it off or put the stand down before moving it around.

i've had mine for over 3 years now and it never fails to start up instantly, so the danger of it not starting when you need it to is BS.
The early bikes had a seat cutout switch that stopped it starting if there wasn't anybody sitting on it.
I disconnected it because if I was facing uphill and sitting back in the seat it wouldn't start.

Presumably with the bike facing uphill too?
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

Alibally wrote:
haildamage wrote:i know a guy who stopped his bike without putting the kickstand down or turning it off. the idle stop shut the engine down. he dismounted and then went to push the scoot into the place he wanted to park it and twisted the throttle in the process. the bike shot forward breaking the plate glass window of the business he was about to go into and injuring his hand. moral of this story: you have to be sure to turn it off or put the stand down before moving it around.

i've had mine for over 3 years now and it never fails to start up instantly, so the danger of it not starting when you need it to is BS.
The early bikes had a seat cutout switch that stopped it starting if there wasn't anybody sitting on it.
I disconnected it because if I was facing uphill and sitting back in the seat it wouldn't start.
i have a 2011. the seat cutout switch doesnt work reliably on mine.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: Idling stop "safety concerns"?

Post by kramnala58 »

haildamage wrote:interesting theory. i would have though this system would use less battery power than a conventional starter?
The reason it puts more drain on the battery is because there is not starter. It is either on these forums or other places online that I have read about it, so it is not just a theory.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

wojtek_pl wrote:BTW, 2014 PCX has (advertised...) battery sensor which disables Start/Stop system when battery is low.
Great feature.
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

you you wrote:Nothing is idiot proof. The American authorities have just made a decision based on risk and demographics
Sadly that's what happens when lawyers can place 16'x40' (5mtr x 12mtr) billboards at every available space possible. America is very litigation happy. :(
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SmellyTofu »

Ditto. The seat sensor switch isn't all that reliable but works >80% of the time. Just give the front of the seat a bit of a thump fixes it.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

SmellyTofu wrote:Works every time for me when I activate it. Love it on extends stops and starts as quick and seamlessly as a Prius unlike other non hybrids with start stop systems that take half a second of hesitation.
I agree. The incident with my PCX was also likely precipitated by a weak battery to begin with. I bought the PCX used so I don't know how old the battery was.

Is this feature also available on the Forza?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Idle stop not available on the Forza 300.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong