R&G Sliders

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

R&G Sliders

Post by djcat »

Every bike I had I put on R&G sliders or some (Hepco & Becker) crash bars. So I thought why not the little PCX, too - they always paid off in the end.

I am a little disappointed by the way they look on the scooter. Some horrible yellow blobs totally spoil the looks of it. What is that "Urban" logo thingy? I can see how they will probably protect part of the plastics lower down, but the handlebars still are by far the widest part of the bike and I don´t think they are able to protect the upper fairing. Its not even close to the protection I saw on some scooters back in Turkey with 360 degrees crash bars on their scooters, either.

I may not see how they will protect the plastics, I need to paint them black (and they make me look like a teenager) but they make for excellent foot board extensions :-) much comfier foot positioning for me now.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-12-28 at 18.34.21.png
Screen Shot 2014-12-28 at 18.34.21.png (894.66 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
Screen Shot 2014-12-28 at 18.34.11.png
Screen Shot 2014-12-28 at 18.34.11.png (860.54 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: R&G Sliders

Post by Mel46 »

I like those! Where did you get them?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

On Amazon.co.uk , look for "R&G RACING FOOTBOARD PROTECTION SLIDERS FIT HONDA PCX125 PCX 125 "

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D ... ge_o07_s00

No idea if you can find them on Amazon.com but if you use the co.uk site then you should be able to order them there. I do order stuff from different Amazon sites all the time.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Don't you find that those things are digging in to your legs every time you come to a stop?
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

sendler2112 wrote:Don't you find that those things are digging in to your legs every time you come to a stop?
Wouldn't even notice it with my boots :D .

Besides, I think it would be well worth it. When I went down at 10 mph, the outer part of my boot caught the ground, forcing my leg to twist until the tibia & fibia broke. I think it would be nice for something else to catch the ground instead.
tomtic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by tomtic »

Wow £70 for these?!!! But I suppose the cost of replacement panels here in the UK, makes them worthwhile.
I think you are right though, about the upper fairings needing protection too. When my bike fell off the side stand when cleaning it (doh!) It wats scratched on the upper edges of the large front panel. And that's around £95 to replace!
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

Thats exactly why I put sliders on all bikes I had, the costs of the plastics are just phenomenal. When I went down with my XL 1000 (head on with an SUV - I won :D ), the crash bars not only saved some 300 Pounds for one side fairing, but also kept the internals safe (that bike has two radiators, one on each side). Of course I also like the fact that they might protect my lower limbs (as they did when I was rear ended on an F800S I had - I went down sitting as if I was riding and the crash protectors kept the 200Kg bike off my leg).

These sliders look as well made as any other R&G sliders I got, sturdy metal base and some hard plastic/organic material on top. I may not like the looks but I keep them there, they don´t disturb me when I stop, don´t feel them when stationary (but then I have a wide(ish) step).
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Valiant wrote: Wouldn't even notice it with my boots :D .

Besides, I think it would be well worth it. When I went down at 10 mph, the outer part of my boot caught the ground, forcing my leg to twist until the tibia & fibia broke. I think it would be nice for something else to catch the ground instead.
The edge of the stock running board is a fulcrum just waiting to pin your leg into the ground and break it in a tip over and those things sticking out just make it worse.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015

Post by Valiant »

IMO, the issue is that the floorboard doesn't go deep enough to rest your entire foot inside, and perhaps they could have placed something(sturdier than plastic) that also raised up a bit on the edge to keep your foot inside should it tip over. From what I could tell on the x-ray, my leg didn't get pinned into the ground at any point, just twisted and broke.

A rear wheel slideout should shove your leg straight up and away from the boards. If your front tire slides out and you manage to turn the PCX 90 degrees from your forward position, then there might be a problem with your leg being pinned under the board, but that's honestly less of a problem with my MX boots.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

The first reaction for anyone who starts to tip over is to stick your foot out.
You described an awkward fall off the side of the narrow trail where the ground fell away from the road so your foot had nothing to touch to hold up the bike. Whatever. I never even noticed the hazard of the PCX running boards until I read of your accident. But now I am aware of how easy it would be to get your leg caught between the ground and the fulcrum edge of the running board and feel theie edge touching my leg every time I put my feet down. Go ahead and get the sliders if you think they are cool. But there is something else to think about with them.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

I guess if you put them on far enough forward the wouldn't tend to dig into your legs in a crash.
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

Looks like the bracket holding the slider might just bend up upon impact. The slide material itself looks durable, but the way they mount looks fragile and unreliable to me.
'88 BMW R100RT
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

The mounts are sturdier and with more metal then the sliders I had on my BMW F800S. On the 217Kg bike the slider only had one single pin to hold it to the frame, and it did hold when I went down. Here you have an entire metal bracket and two anchor points and I am fully confident that the sliders will stay on with a Scoot half the weight of my Beemer.

I do also not think that the bike is to blame for lower limb injury, especially.not on such a light and nimble two wheeler. If you ride bikes, your legs are exposed, thats a fact. Hence the need to use proper protection.

If you think the PCX is dangerous for your legs, then I don't think you could live with the thought of a 1200GS or Pan European lying on top of you...
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Dimly in the unnecessary tat class with me I'm afraid
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

Just from the way they mount, looks like if the bike slid down toward the direction of the kickstand, the metal is thin enough on the slider that it would bend upward. My other concern would be what those mounting screws are actually screwing into. Plastic? Metal?

The type of sliders that are more of a hockey puck style with a central mount bolt into the frame make some sense to me. This style looks too easily compromised. Of course, on the PCX you don't really have any good hard points for slider mounts like on some bikes. If you dump a PCX, you're probably going to have some banged up plastic, sliders or not, just due to the nature of how a PCX is constructed.

PCX plastic comes prepainted from Honda, and is dirt cheap, at least in the USA. Very inexpensive to fix the bodywork in comparision to most things on two wheels. It's so cheap it's not even really worth worrying about. Not sure outside North America...

But that's just from looking at a picture online, so hard to say with any certainty. The key is not what I think, it's what you think, since it's your money. :)
'88 BMW R100RT
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

R&G makes good stuff and I am confident they will withstand a slide or drop. They look and feel sturdy and so do the mounts, if anything, I have a more comfy position for my feet.

70 quid ain´t really money compared to what stuff for big bikes costs. I keep them where they are.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Perhaps we need a take on the auto-air bag neck protection that came out some years back, but bike protection style :)
Some kind of side protection that when the bike tilts at too much of an angle to the ground, say 30 deg's, the side bag inflates and protects the side of the bike and you! (with an auto disable for servicing or those that scrape their knees when going round round-abouts!!!).
The above is stated a bit tongue-in-cheek - but it would be nice to have some kind of system as tech improves.
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

Hi all,

Just wanted to report back on the effectiveness of these. I had a chance to test them out before the 23rd of February when I went to Vietnam, due to my own stupidity (please don´t ask how). It was a fairly low speed crash, roughly 10 - 15 mph. I landed on my right side and am impressed. I think it kept the scooter more upright, otherwise the front plastic panel would have split and break instead of just scratch. The handlebars did not touch the ground and from a distance its not possible to see any crash damage.

I big off might have been a different story, but at once only stupid moment is certainly better with them then without them.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 18.46.13.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 18.46.13.png (943.51 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

tiny scratches and a bent crash bar, thats it.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 18.46.03.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 18.46.03.png (530.68 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I hope you were wearing fluorescent gear from head to toe in your 10mph tip off. Otherwise the Holier than you lot will disapprove and it'll all be your fault.

You can tell them by their slightly sickly citrus glow...