HONDA HP4M oil @ 1K miles

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

HONDA HP4M oil @ 1K miles

Post by fish »

This is what the HONDA HP4M 10W/30 oil looks like after 1000 miles - from my oil change today.
The 1.5 Qts of HONDA oil and HONDA OEM filter and proper new drain gasket cost me @ $25.
HONDA suggests that the oil and filter be changed every 8000 miles, or once each year.
My scoot has covered 2350 miles from (new) purchase 3 mos ago; getting thru the break-in period, this is its 4th oil & filter change. Riding through the cold winter months (0 > 35 degrees Fahrenheit), I probably will change the oil about every 600 miles, and go 1000 to 1500 in the summer for the duration of ownership.
I'm one of those old school guys when it comes to oil changes (but then I tend to keep my vehicles for a few 100 thousand miles)Fish
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: HONDA HP4M oil @ 1K miles

Post by yak »

I used the Honda HP4M on my previous scooter. This time i used the Honda Full Synthetic. I go a lot longer between changes than you do.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

fish wrote:This is what the HONDA HP4M 10W/30 oil looks like after 1000 miles - from my oil change today.
The 1.5 Qts of HONDA oil and HONDA OEM filter and proper new drain gasket cost me @ $25.
HONDA suggests that the oil and filter be changed every 8000 miles, or once each year.
My scoot has covered 2350 miles from (new) purchase 3 mos ago; getting thru the break-in period, this is its 4th oil & filter change. Riding through the cold winter months (0 > 35 degrees Fahrenheit), I probably will change the oil about every 600 miles, and go 1000 to 1500 in the summer for the duration of ownership.
I'm one of those old school guys when it comes to oil changes (but then I tend to keep my vehicles for a few 100 thousand miles)Fish

Oil looks fine. 600 miles between changes is unnecessary and wasteful
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

yak wrote:This time i used the Honda Full Synthetic.
Unless the manufacturer recommends use of fully synthetic from new you shouldn't use it for a while.
Premature use of fully synthetic in an engine not intended for it can cause long term problems because the engine fails to run-in properly.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:
fish wrote:unnecessary and wasteful
Its The American Way.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

GN is correct. Unless an engine is designed specifically for synthetic it should not be used until the engine is fully broken in. An engine engineer friend of mine says 5-7K miles depending on how big the engine is{bigger engines can take it sooner}. Semi-synth is fine to use at any point according to him. Of coarse this is an area where people will argue and I am not wanting to start a fight so take it or leave it.
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

Does the Forza have an oil filter?

Color means very little. Do a Used Oil Analysis, cost is 25-30 USD. And find out the truth of how the engine and oil is holding up.

I'm from the new generation, that follows science, data and doesn't listen to just "anyone" Go find your answers yourself and save big money!
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Yes they have real oil filters (about $15 US).
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

OriginalRocket wrote:Does the Forza have an oil filter?

Color means very little. Do a Used Oil Analysis, cost is 25-30 USD. And find out the truth of how the engine and oil is holding up.

I'm from the new generation, that follows science, data and doesn't listen to just "anyone" Go find your answers yourself and save big money!

Like if the Forza has an oil filter? Remember, when you get an answer then ignore them.

What a plum.
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

Do you think Honda recommends every 8000 miles because they don't want to sell more of their expensive oil? 8000 miles is well inside the margin of error, by a lot.
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

It was a rhetorical question 'you you'. The fact the OP is changing oil at such low intervals is a tactic us filterless PCX guys use to control excess oil partical contamination, which exacerbates wear on the engine.

Since the Forza has a proper oil filter, the risk of partical wear on the engine is greatly reduced, and the main focus should be on the oil holding correct viscosity, anti-wear, anti-friction properties. Since those anti properties deplete very slowly, the greatest issue with motorcycles is viscosity retention throughout the oil change interval.

Without knowing how the oil is holding up, you are just guessing, and could be losing money and time. This is why a UOA helps to know exactly how the oil is doing at a given interval. Then you can decide for yourself, with real data from your own engine and riding environment, a cost effective oil change interval.

I totally love plums though, out of season at the moment.
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Post by BRed »

for the record, the Forza has BOTH....
it has an external Honda standard twist-on oil filter, but it also has an internal oil strainer with a separate oil filter screen....
check the right crankcase cover for parts number 10 and 16 on the fiche page....

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/201 ... #sch795499
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

BRed wrote:for the record, the Forza has BOTH....
it has an external Honda standard twist-on oil filter, but it also has an internal oil strainer with a separate oil filter screen....
check the right crankcase cover for parts number 10 and 16 on the fiche page....

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/201 ... #sch795499
I looked again at my posted "bottom of the engine" picture....so, there is not a way for us to get to - and clean this strainer/screen?
That may be a reliefe to an obsessive owner 'friend of mine'
Fish
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Post by BRed »

It's easily accessible if you remove the right crankcase cover...

but, from the drawings it appears to be self cleaning! :)

reverse flush might be a better description?

For what it's worth, this second filter is every bit as serious an oil filter as what came standard on the early 250 Forza and all it's derivatives.

the secondary filter is on the suction side and filters oil leaving the sump and is part of the oil pump pick up.
Oil leaves the sump through this filter and is pumped directly into the external oil filter and goes every where it needs to from there...
the oil pressure switch and oil pressure relief are downstream of the external filter.

in essence the oil pump is bracketed by oil filters?

When the engine shuts off, the residual oil pressure flushes anything picked up by this intake filter and screen back into the sump.
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

So it more of a protective screen for the pump. Makes sense and good to know Honda thinks of such things.