Rotella t 5 oil

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Rotella t 5 oil

Post by flyingzonker »

I wonder if anyone uses Rotella T5 oil in their PCX. Does it meet the specs for the PCX? I cant tell by the label--to many mysterious signifiers
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Rotella t 5 oil

Post by fish »

flyingzonker wrote:I wonder if anyone uses Rotella T5 oil in their PCX. Does it meet the specs for the PCX? I cant tell by the label--to many mysterious signifiers
A good question for your dealer, if you trust them. At the price of this oil I'd hope it would encourage you to change it very often! Any scoot's life blood....
Fish
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I think it's an oil designed for Diesel engines. The spec I recognise is mb228.31, that's for diesel trucks.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

If it is the same Rotella....a lot of scooter riders I know swear by this stuff for their scooters...... I think it has something in it they like .( shear strength, or something)..but I think it might have as much to do with the price! Again, the good thing is that the low price will encourage very frequent oill changes....a good thing.
Fish
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

I actually use Rotella T-6 full synthetic. It exceeds the specs.
Alibally wrote:I think it's an oil designed for Diesel engines. The spec I recognise is mb228.31, that's for diesel trucks.
And yes it is designed to work well in Diesel engines, but that doesnt mean you can only use it in a Diesel. That just means that the stuff is more than adequate for use in gasoline engines.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

fish wrote:If it is the same Rotella....a lot of scooter riders I know swear by this stuff for their scooters...... I think it has something in it they like .( shear strength, or something)..but I think it might have as much to do with the price! Again, the good thing is that the low price will encourage very frequent oill changes....a good thing.
Fish

Not for the environment
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

Manual states 10w-30 oil with JASO MB.

JASO MB is a Japanese oil society spec meaning lowest coefficient of friction. The only oil I ever found to carry that spec is Hondas oil. Even then my dealer does not stock it.

We have what's called a dry clutch. The main reason for the JASO MA2 MA MB specs. Is for clutch transfer of energy. MA2 is the highest, MB is the lowest. Basically means the MA oils won't let the clutch slip in a bath of oil.

Our clutch is dry, it is outside the engine. We have roller cams for the valve actuation, reducing friction and improving efficienty. Nothing in the engine, that I have researched, says it needs a non friction modified oil, so I run a 30 weight automotive oil, to minimize efficiency loss.

Honestly, any quality 30 weight oil will work. Be caustious with diesel oils have anti wear additives that are known to deteriorate a catylityc converter on an engine that is burning oil.

Search on the Internet all those specs on the t5 bottle. none of them are JASO certified, but the t6 oil is MA. Many speculate the t5 30w variant would work just fine in wet clutch motorcycles. I think you would have no problems using it in the PCX, but you could eek out a bit more mileage by going with a friction modified ( slippery ) automotive oil.
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

OriginalRocket wrote:Manual states 10w-30 oil with JASO MB.

JASO MB is a Japanese oil society spec meaning lowest coefficient of friction. The only oil I ever found to carry that spec is Hondas oil. Even then my dealer does not stock it.

We have what's called a dry clutch. The main reason for the JASO MA2 MA MB specs. Is for clutch transfer of energy. MA2 is the highest, MB is the lowest. Basically means the MA oils won't let the clutch slip in a bath of oil.

Our clutch is dry, it is outside the engine. We have roller cams for the valve actuation, reducing friction and improving efficienty. Nothing in the engine, that I have researched, says it needs a non friction modified oil, so I run a 30 weight automotive oil, to minimize efficiency loss.

Honestly, any quality 30 weight oil will work. Be caustious with diesel oils have anti wear additives that are known to deteriorate a catylityc converter on an engine that is burning oil.

Search on the Internet all those specs on the t5 bottle. none of them are JASO certified, but the t6 oil is MA. Many speculate the t5 30w variant would work just fine in wet clutch motorcycles. I think you would have no problems using it in the PCX, but you could eek out a bit more mileage by going with a friction modified ( slippery ) automotive oil.
Good writeup! I switched to Redline 5w-30 this time to see if it affected mileage and top speed.
Still testing.....
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Slickvic wrote:
OriginalRocket wrote:Manual states 10w-30 oil with JASO MB.

Good writeup! I switched to Redline 5w-30 this time to see if it affected mileage and top speed.
Still testing.....
It wouln't to any measurable effect
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

Testing concluded. No measurable effect

Haters rejoice.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

The Rotella T5 that you hear scooterists swear by is typically 15w40 dino oil. It's dirt cheap and works great on aircooled scooters.

I HIGHLY recommend it if you're running a Genuine Buddy 125-170.

I DO NOT recommend it for the PCX. The tolerances are much tighter, and Honda recommends a synthetic. Any good FULLY SYNTHETIC 5w30 or 10w30 will work great, including any car oils like Valvoline or Castrol. The PCX does not have a wet clutch, so JASO MB or MA ratings don't matter for our application. I would avoid anything that is "energy conserving."
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
frog13
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: white

Post by frog13 »

I'm not arguing , but if the MB rating doesn't matter , then why did Honda engineers advise of its use in the pcx 150 engine and final drive / tranny . Just curious.
frog13
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: white

Post by frog13 »

Anyone ?..
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

frog13 wrote:Anyone ?..
Forums make interesting reads....
However, I always go with what the owner's manual says.
There are other Honda oils in the isle of my dealer....but I buy only the specific label and weight Honda oil specified in my owner's manual.
I don't ask at the parts desk, or the service desk, or the gals in the too-tight jeans to help me. I buy per the manual.
You cannot go wrong with that.
Fish
jkhawaii
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkhawaii »

I'm using 10w30 Rotella T5 right now.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have heard some scooter riders say the Mobil 1 full synthetic is suppose to be great. Anyone used it in your scooter?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I'm using Nutella
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

I have been running Mobil1 5w40 automotive oil at 3,000 mile intervals for 17,000 miles.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:I have heard some scooter riders say the Mobil 1 full synthetic is suppose to be great. Anyone used it in your scooter?

I use Mobil one on one of my cars.

It's oil.
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

Mel46 wrote:I have heard some scooter riders say the Mobil 1 full synthetic is suppose to be great. Anyone used it in your scooter?

I ran Mobil 1 AFE 0w-30. And Mobil 1 10w-30. Both ran for 2000 miles. (my current OCI)

Didn't notice a difference. I pretty much try a different oil each change, just for the sake of trying them all!

I've yet to try Honda's official HP4M MB oil, if I can find it local, i'll give it a shot!