Days are numbered for my PCX

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Days are numbered for my PCX

Post by katschamne »

I have to say I love my PCX and with a couple of days above 40 degrees I was able to take it out. Sorry I'm a wimp when it comes to riding it in the cold. especially since I don't have a windshield. It felt great in December to take it out for about a 45 min ride before I had to head back because it was getting a little cold and dark. Even my husband has driven it a couple of times when it was warmer because his motorcycle it stored at the dealer.

I've put almost 5000 miles on it but last year I really had a hard time keeping up with my husband since we usually go on rides were the speed limit is 55 mph. If I was heading into the wind it was so hard to get the little scooter above 50 mph. After months and months of looking I finally decided to go with a Honda Sliver Wing. It was a toss up between the Burgmans and the Silver Wing but I found a decent deal on the Silver Wing and the timing was right. So last week I paid for a 2009 Honda Silver Wing with 2160 miles on it for $4600. This is were the girl comes out in me. I really didn't like the newer models colors. They were either white, grey or black. I really do love my little red PCX so my new one is actually dark candy apple red. It has an audio system in it but it looks like a cluster of wires in the glove box. I think the hubby is going to clean it up and take out the audio system and just put a 12V adapter in there instead so that I can charge my phone. Right now it's at the dealer until the end of March or until better weather. After that I will try to sell the PCX. I thought about keeping both of them but I have a feeling it will just sit there most of the time and it will take up valuable space in the garage.
Attachments
vp3979077_1_large.jpg
vp3979077_1_large.jpg (95.14 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Re: Days are numbered for my PCX

Post by SECoda »

I bought my 2014 Forza 300 new for nearly the same reason (keeping up on our scenic tours with larger bikes) but am keeping the PCX for camping where we haul it on a carrier. That is a good price on the 2009 Silver Wing. My dealer has a 2006 for with 3326 miles for $4700. They have a new 2012 black Silver Wing w/o a price that just says make us an offer but I know it is for a lot more than that when I rode it. They are very nice bikes.

It's no fun riding with someone that wants to go fast all of the time if your bike is struggling. What is funny, though, is when we get on our very windy hilly slower roads here in the Ozark foothills the Harleys and real heavy bikes have to slow way done and we wait on them - even on a PCX. The Forza stock will only do about 90 tops but can cruise all day at 70 mph and pass just fine.
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

I tried the Forza and I really wanted to like it but it just didn't fit me or the hubby. A Sliver Wing was right there and I sat on it and I was amazed that it fit me much better. I've seen some good deals on the Silver Wings. A place up in Wisconsin had a new 2013 for $6999 normally $9270 but the drive up there wasn't worth it. Of course it was black as well. I figured I saved a few thousands dollars and found a scooter with the color I like...bonus.

My hubby is actually pretty good at keeping an eye out for me but I've gone on a couple of group rides with him and his motorcycle club. While it was fun, I felt like I was holding up the group. Another person in the club has a Silver Wing and he had no problem keeping up. I know I will miss doing the twisties in the PCX because it handles like a dream in corners. My Husband has a big Kawasaki Vaquero and I leave him behind in the turns. I know I won't be able to do that quite so much with the Silver Wing.

The top end spend on the Silver Wing is supposed to 109 mph but I know that varies and that I will never take it up to that speed. Like you said I should be able to cruise all day at 70 and have some left over. That was a major concern with the PCX. Once you get it up to 55 mph nothing is really left to get out of the way or pass anyone. That and I think driving it hard all day with full open throttle can't be good for it either. The PCX would be awesome in the city of Chicago but not the 40 miles out in the sticks.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When I first joined this forum I believe Dave had a Silver Wing and he drove it to Florida with another guy who had a motorcycle. I am sure the Silver Wing will be able to keep up with other motorcycles with little effort. I had a Burgman 400 at the time. My wife loved riding it, and she could touch the ground when the bike was at a stop. I loved the Burgman. I bought it used with a whole 2 miles on it. Eventually I sold it and bought my pcx, but the Burgman will always be at the top of my list of favorite bikes. I had tried out a Silver Wing when looking at scooters, but it wasn't as comfortable or as low as the Burgman. Also, the used Burgman was only $3700. I really hope you enjoy your Silver Wing. You may find that you miss how agile the pcx is though.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Hooksta
Year: 2015 PCX
Color: Black

Post by Hooksta »

Looks great to me! Enjoy!
Hooksta
Year: 2015 PCX
Color: Black

Post by Hooksta »

My Father owns a 2006 Burgman 650 and came very close to buying a new scooter a couple of weeks ago. He had a shot at a brand new 2013 BMW 600 (the Sport model) for $9,500 out the door (after tax and everything). It had the heated seats and heated grips option. I was really bummed when it didn't go through with it. The thing looked like Batman from the front.

I'm going to live with my new PCX for now. If they'd change the seat on the Forza I'd definitely be interested. Funny how my knees touch the dash on the current Forza and but are not really close on the PCX. Hope to get a chance to see and sit on a Silver Wing like yours some day.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The BMW is a reliability nightmare and best avoided.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

Is that thing ever difficult to handle around corners? While I also agree that the PCX gets bogged down by both wind and hills(or both at the same time), it's perfect and nimble for 99.9% of my use. Mileage however seems to drop as I break it in, as it was 100+mpg early on, but now dropped to 83mpg or so(though I admittedly almost exclusively ride on the freeway now).

However, I do agree that you generally want to be able to have some speed in reserve instead of being in full throttle all the time.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I tried both the Forza and Silver Wing but my dealer indicated they were told that it is likely that the Silver Wing's last year was 2013 for the US. He said they are hearing of a beefed up Forza coming to the US for maybe 2016 but I think that is only a 350.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:The BMW is a reliability nightmare and best avoided.
I've owned a few, still do, BMW bikes and cars and they are truly poor in fit, finish, engineering etc. all the things you would expect them to be good at. Vastly overrated except in marketing
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The new BMW scooters are rebadged Kymco scooters with some BMW specific addons.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Kymco has had a contract to build BMW parts and engines since 2011. BMW's were the first scooters I looked at last spring (2014) because they looked cool and were loaded with features. Then I found out the news on reliability. I only found out about Kymco more recently.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I just was looking at the specs on the 2012 Honda Silver Wing at my dealer and I realize it is a 600 cc engine (or 579) with 38 HP but why does it only get 46 mpg avg.? My buddies 900 lb 1200 Harley Classic gets 42 mpg with 60 something HP. Both are FI Twins. My Forza gets right at the 70 mpg at 26 HP with the FI single banger. The Forza is 423 lbs. and the SW is 541 lbs. Why so thirsty? :? Of course nothing touches the PCX 150 at near 100 mpg for me.
Ratster
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Ratster »

That's a good looking silver wing.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Good luck with your new bike Kat! :P Be careful out there, that baby is bigger, heavier and faster.
I'm glad you're holding onto the PCX for awhile. You never know......
Cheers!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Dustoff66
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: Red

Post by Dustoff66 »

I haven't been on here in awhile ----- put the scoot away when it started to get cold ( I'm getting too old to ride below 35°). I'm thinking ---- THINKING, mind you ----- about getting a 2015 CTX700 DCT. I love my PCX, I've put a lot of effort into upgrades with the custom seat, the 12v outlet, LED lights, 3 different windshields,etc. but I've been nearly run down more than once on 2-lane, 55mph roads by big trucks driving right up against my rear end. I'd like to visit my son in Maryland but going down RT15 here in PA is asking for it. The CTX will cruise at 75 easily. I know it'll cost a lot more but for now I'm just thinking as it's too cold to even take a test ride. My PCX is just great for the back roads and in town but these gas rig drivers are out to get me. Or am I just paranoid? Or not? :)
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I was just sitting on one (CTX 700) not 30 minutes ago at my dealership. ;)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

If you can get an NC750S its a far better bike than the CTX.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

We have the NC700X DCT ABS. It sits up pretty high.

http://www.mungenastmotorsports.com/201 ... =1787&fm=1
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The 750 motor is a significant improvement on the 700 which is a bit of a dog imo.