Cool weather affordable suit - Firstgear Thermosuit

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Cool weather affordable suit - Firstgear Thermosuit

Post by kcpcx »

My dad, who rides his PCX, Forza, and other assorted larger bikes in all kinds of inclement weather, was so impressed with his newly acquired budget cool weather suit that he bought me one for Christmas.

I had my first opportunity to use it this morning on the way home from work (overnighter). Fantastic. Once in a while you come across a product that seems like a great ratio of value to price. Even though mine was a gift, I've owned more expensive suits in the past that didn't perform as well as this one, and I'm quite a fan of it. A bargain at $199 list price, and you can probably find it cheaper on sale. I think he paid $169 or $179 for it from one of the typical online cycle gear sources.

----Firstgear Thermosuit----

Anyway, I'm not affiliated with Firstgear in any way, but having now used it on a cool weather ride, very impressed with it. I thought I'd throw it out there in the event that any of you were considering picking up a reasonably priced suit that has a high quality to price ratio.

My only criticism of it is that it's not one of those super high denier textile suits that is going to help you a whole lot if you go down. If you want an ultra sturdy suit for crash protection, you'll then end up in the $500-600 winter suit league, most likely. Above that and you're into the big leagues with the high dollar Aerostich stuff.

Key positives here are attractive price, nice insulation, waterproof, near zero wind leakage on a cold day due to one piece design, and nice velcro flaps over the zippers. Again, negatives would be marginal crash protection and lack of a higher visibility color. I would have preferred something other than black / dark gray. Alas, no other color options.

By the way, dad tells me that the suit will fit, if you fold it correctly, under the seat on his '13 PCX. I rode my old BMW R100RT today, not the scoot, but I can attest that it will also fit into one late 80's vintage BMW saddlebag.

edit-- oops. Sorry. Probably should have put this in "Accessories".
'88 BMW R100RT
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Re: Cool weather affordable suit - Firstgear Thermosuit

Post by SECoda »

Sure - tell me after winter. :P

Black/red too.
http://www.cyclegear.com/FIRSTGEAR-Ther ... cycle-Suit
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Wow, I wish I knew of this sooner. Maybe there'll be a clearance sale so I can prepare for next winter.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Well - when I went to the Firstgear suit with armor in it like mine the suit was over $500. o_O