Trade in question

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

ckosio
Year: 2015
Color: black

Trade in question

Post by ckosio »

I just bought a 2015 PCX and I wanted to trade it with cbr250 with same value?
I still owe my lien holder with the same price of the bike I'm getting. How does it work? Will I owe more if I do the trade? I understand the value thing but the dealer needs to earn something right?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Trade in question

Post by gn2 »

How much did you pay for the PCX?
How much remains outstanding on the finance agreement?
How much is the quoted trade in value of the PCX?
What is the purchase price of the CBR?

Answer these four questions and all will be explained ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

ckosio wrote:I just bought a 2015 PCX and I wanted to trade it with cbr250 with same value?
I still owe my lien holder with the same price of the bike I'm getting. How does it work? Will I owe more if I do the trade? I understand the value thing but the dealer needs to earn something right?
In the States the 300 is only $200 more than the CBR250 - are you sure you wouldn't rather have the 300 ? (and the 300 naked "F" is a couple hundred less than the 250 list!)
But you are probably finding that 250 at a great price - now that the 300's are all over the dealer floors.....and that 300F naked is listed for $3999. So you should be in a buyer's market when looking to trade for that CBR250, because:
1) you're in Calif. - so should be great place for scooter demand (at least in the USA)
2) the CBR250 has been replaced - you're interested in an old, now-not-cool bike.
(If those F's had been around when I was buying my Forza - I would be riding a red one!)
Fish
forza300
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by forza300 »

Prepare to pay. When you rode out of the showroom you just lost $1000 or so.

The dealer will by buying a second hand bike from you. If you have an excellent relationship with the dealer it might help but think of the second buyer.

What would you pay for a second hand (even almost new) PCX vs a new one? Then deduct the dealer profit/fees too. That'll give you the answer you seek.
------------------------
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

A rough idea of how this kind of thing usually works:

Say, for example, a new PCX can be had for $3000 out the door. A used one is therefore worth somewhere in the $2k-2500 range out the door. Dealers see things as worst case, so they are thinking they can sell the scoot for $2k at the least. So they offer $1500 in trade. They are going to make sure they "bought it right" or "own it right" as they say in the car/cycle business. This means you didn't overpay when you acquired the vehicle, and that if you had to get out of it in a hurry, you'd suffer a minimal loss.

If they give you $1500 on trade, worst case they make $500 reselling the scooter. Best case, they sell it for $2500 and make a grand. But they aren't going to set themselves up where it's too risky.

Some other factors are involved. How hot a product is or not. What season it is with cycles in most locales. If the factory has a rebate on a new bike. Etc.

I would say the market is a touch weak on a used PCX. A fair number of leftover brand new '13 are still at dealers. Those are likely available at blowout prices, or if not, are rotting on the sales floor.

On the positive side, in the USA you have spring around the corner and plenty of people with income tax refunds burning a hole in their pockets.

Your best bet financially is always to sell your old vehicle privately. You'll get, at an absolute minimum, $500 more out of it than a dealer will allow you on trade. Probably more than that. Ask yourself if you'd spend half an hour showing 5 prospective buyers your scooter if someone paid you $200 an hour to do that. Yeah, you probably would lol.
'88 BMW R100RT
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

"Your best bet financially is always to sell your old vehicle privately. You'll get, at an absolute minimum, $500 more out of it than a dealer will allow you on trade. Probably more than that. Ask yourself if you'd spend half an hour showing 5 prospective buyers your scooter if someone paid you $200 an hour to do that. Yeah, you probably would lol.'

Maybe, maybe not. I think you're potentially way underestimating the time needed and the hassle factor.

Advertise on Craigs list. Losts of crank contacts and possibly some shady people. Having to respond to potential buyers and set up times to meet. Oh sorry, running late, can we reschedule? Do I really want strangers coming to my house? What if they want a test ride? Bring friends with guns and rip me off?

Will it sell quickly? Will it languish for weeks even with the price being dropped repeatedly?

OP has another wrinkle. He has to coordinate getting payment with paying off the lienholder. Third party fiduciary? Form of payment? More time spent.

Taken together, $500 to the dealer doesn't sound so bad.

BTW, OP, don't do it. You'll lose your shirt. Just enjoy your PCX and get your money's worth out of it.
Last edited by Bash On! on Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
chucktuna
I'm up to 12 or 13 now...
I'm up to 12 or 13 now...
Color: Black

Post by chucktuna »

Simple formula since we don't know your exact numbers

$ Selling price of new bike:
- less
$ Value of trade in:
= equals difference of the two

+ Plus the pay off of the trade in
= balance to finance plus fees and taxes

Usually your dealer will make the payoff once the transaction is complete so that the title and lien release comes to them.
Too many scoots..... 12 or so I think .
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

I've sold five motorcycles and two ATVs over the years and I think I only had one occasion where the person that actually took the trouble to come and look at it didn't buy it. They are normally motivated since they made the trip. I had several that left but then called me later to buy it like the Arctic Cat ATV I just sold. Everyone knows the BB value these days for a private sale. My stuff was always in very good or excellent condition. I have never taken the hit to a dealer.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

Bash On! wrote:
Maybe, maybe not. I think you're potentially way underestimating the time needed and the hassle factor.
No, I don't think so. I've sold a ton of cars, cycles, and bicycles on Craigs. Never a problem. Never had anything languish there too long. Maybe I've just been lucky 15 times in a row. 90% of the time I've sold a vehicle there, the first or second person who came to look, bought, cash money. I think one time it was the third person, but that was a rarity. Price things fairly and give a good description in your ad with lots of pics. It amazes me how many people post ads with crap pics or worthless explanations. Be thorough in your ad and you will get quality bites if your item is priced appropriately.

Time is valuable for folks. I know mine is. I'm not driving 30 minutes each way across the city, burning gas, unless I have a pretty good idea I'm interested in something and that we're pretty close on price, etc. Usually I'll ask for some emailed photos first, etc. A phone call to the seller is never a bad idea before a visit, either.

You read the horror stories about Craigs and selling things online. For each of those, there are probably 500,000 similar transactions per day that go off without a hitch nationwide.

Now you have me thinking of which of my cycles I've sold on Craigs. Let's see...my Concours. My wife's F650GS. My Ninja 250 and my Ninja 500. The K75 we used to have. Way more cars, probably a dozen at least. Only 5 cycles.
'88 BMW R100RT
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

kcpcx wrote:
Bash On! wrote: nationwide.

Now you have me thinking of which of my cycles I've sold on Craigs. Let's see...my Concours. My wife's F650GS. My Ninja 250 and my Ninja 500. The K75 we used to have. Way more cars, probably a dozen at least. Only 5 cycles.
This is interesting. I've never sold on CL, but a few 100 times on eBay.
All mail order , usually to Europe, but I think I will be looking to sell my Kymco scooter this spring/summer. I love my Kymco for winter commutes - but I really should have only one scooter - the Forza.
I know that there are some sites that are product bombs....the samba is an amazing VW sell forum. Put a VW on there and you will get an amazing result.
Guess I'll give craig's list a try when the time comes.
Fish