How cold will you ride?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: How cold will you ride?

Post by fish »

Minus 16°Fahrenheit (-16°F) right now....going to Dr's appointment in a bit. Only 5 miles....this will surely be a new personal benchmark for me and my scooter.
Roads are clear and dry, light winds ....it's a go.
Fish
Wellcrap......now it is -19° F...."feels like -32"
Sure, standing on the street corner.
Fish
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

:lol: Burrr....
Fish, you immediately reminded me of this little fella. Say hel-lo to Scrat, he's always on His Game,....no matter What!
image.jpg
image.jpg (202.3 KiB) Viewed 989 times
Scrat from the Fun movie(s) Ice Age
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

It's 38 F (above zero) and should hit low 40s by 2pm. I am chomping at the bit.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Just finished 26 slow miles enjoying the warm sun. I wish I didn't have to come back and act like I am working. Somehow their 43 prediction turned into 48. I wonder what tomorrow will bring.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

SECoda/tbln930
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

@tbln930 - I'm jealous! Bone chilling cold for me. But, I did order my new Shoei RF 1200 helmet! :D Got the Beacon with the hi-viz yellow stripes.

@fish - Riding your scoot at -19 degrees! o_O
Sh3p
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sh3p »

Steph wrote:@tbln930 - I'm jealous! Bone chilling cold for me. But, I did order my new Shoei RF 1200 helmet! :D Got the Beacon with the hi-viz yellow stripes.

@fish - Riding your scoot at -19 degrees! o_O
Awesome purchase! I love mine. You're going to really enjoy the wider view and anti-fog insert.
And it completely matches your gear setup, very cool!
Old enough to know its a bad idea, young enough not to care

Fleet:
-08' Triumph Daytona 675 -(no org) #159
-05' Kawasaki KX65 -UMRA #677
-13' Honda PCX150
-10' Scion TC
-09' Scion Xb

I must only be faster than one person. Myself.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

@Sh3p - Also got a Gopro. Thinking about doing a chin bar mount. The Shoei will be a big upgrade from the HJC CL 16. I can't wait to get it! :D

Assembled this mount per the video I found on you tube.
20150224_201450.jpg
20150224_201450.jpg (263.55 KiB) Viewed 971 times
Image from the video I found. Shoei RF 1200
20150224_201601.jpg
20150224_201601.jpg (180.49 KiB) Viewed 971 times
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Nice helmet and camera. I bet you end up trying different mounts like Homie and I until you get the most stable picture. I found out I bobble my helmet quite a bit like the dogs head in the back of a old Hudson. :lol:

They are calling for 41 tomorrow before another cool off. I will cross my fingers. :)

SECoda/tbln930
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Now they are calling for 43 today but it is only 34 at 10:12 am CT. It should peak about 2 pm again so crossing the fingers.

Tomorrow the low is predicted to be 5 and high 27. :roll:

SECoda/tbln930
Sh3p
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sh3p »

@Steph
Thats awesome, i wish i had thought of that / seen that video. I have been experimenting with gopro helmet mounts for years and always felt the drag, weight, or obviousness until i decided to do the chin mount. I have friends that have HJC helmets that have a flat enough chin to take a gopro mount well without modification. Sadly most of the Shoei and AGV helmets have the agressive chin cut and dont take the mount well at all. In the end i molded some custom mounts with 2-part plastic (or epoxy), shaved them down with a rotary tool, then mounted it with the 3m adhesive used on the gopro mounts. It took some time but I was happy with the result, doing both Shoei helmets at the same time helped justify it lol.
I honestly had not thought of doing the offset mount with multiple arm links to achieve the same result. It might be better than my setup and more adjustable, you be the judge.

I made a DIY of the molded chinmount to share with my moto friends, here it is:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6a75I ... sp=sharing
In hindsight, this should probably be a diff thread...
Old enough to know its a bad idea, young enough not to care

Fleet:
-08' Triumph Daytona 675 -(no org) #159
-05' Kawasaki KX65 -UMRA #677
-13' Honda PCX150
-10' Scion TC
-09' Scion Xb

I must only be faster than one person. Myself.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Like Button
Ouu..Steph, Jackpot! Very nice lid and camera! Both great choices! Keep us posted on yer likes and dislikes ("if" any) on both. 8)

Wait! I forgot to ask. Won't the camera being mounted at the chin block venting? Not sure about that spot :roll:
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
RusticCharm
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by RusticCharm »

Yesterday it got up to 28 degrees F. It's surprising how warm that feels after weeks of temps near 0. It's back down to 8 F today and not getting back to the 20's until Saturday. I thought of putting the battery in and going for a ride yesterday but because many of the streets still have large spots with packed snow or ice, I did the smart thing and put it off for what I hope is a short time until all the streets are clear.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

It's 45 F but windless so I stretched it to 41 miles today. The temp really drops tonight. I went nearly ten miles on one rural road and only passed a state cop going the other direction who waved and no other vehicles. :P

SECoda/tbln930
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

@Sh3p - Your installation of the mount is a awesome idea. Cool "how to" as well! Might be better then what I'm going to do. Hope to get my Shoei soon to see.

@tbln930 & WhiteNoise - Hope the gopro is all that. Will have to see when the weather improves. I need to get a second battery at least. I'm very excited about my new helmet. Can't wait to receive it.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Mr. Safety speaketh: Check with the helmet manufacturer before attaching things to your primary safety device. Besides potential compromise of helmet integrity, I'd be concerned about the camera/camera mount catching on something as I slide down the road, resulting in extreme torsional strain to my neck. Ow.

Mr. Cold speaketh: I'm officially tired of cold weather now. The trade-off for horribly hot summers in Texas is frequent good riding weather in winter. I haven't ridden any of my bikes for a month and we have snow instead of our normal 62-degree F weather today.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Good thinking n good points made, Mr. Safety

Then...Where would be the safest place on a helmet to place one? If there is one? Nowhere? :roll:
I want a camera bad. I'm Saving up again. I really don't want to "wear one," if a bike location works.

Are folks with camera's finding it difficult to mount one on our scoots?
sendler, where's yours again?
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

A coworker who is a skiing diehard near Denver says helmet mounted GoPros are near extinct for skiing (because of increased risk) and they now use chest mounts with the steel plate between the mount and their chest which is where I finally ended up on the cycles (but with the smaller Mobius). The trend though is to use much smaller cameras and breakaway mounts away from the helmet. He thinks CO may ban them from the helmet soon. I have found the chest mount the most stable anyways.

SECoda/tbln930
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

There was a study on a risk of head injury with these helmet mounted GoPros. But I don't see it being any worse than my Sena Bluetooth headset.

I'd prefer something a bit more low profile though.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

I also don't think the skiing helmets are quite up to motorcycle helmet standards.

SECoda/tbln930
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

tbln930 wrote:I also don't think the skiing helmets are quite up to motorcycle helmet standards.
Not the same level of risk (speeds) potentially encountered, either.

Thought about Sena on the helmet. I have one and it (1) isn't nearly as large and doesn't stick out nearly as much and (2) mounts closer to the natural pivot point of the neck so would have less torsional impact than a chinbar mount, or possibly less than even an top-of-helmet mount, which would also be further from the neck's pivot point (on a different axis). You pays your money and takes your chances.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?