PCX juddering when moving off

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

RideLondon
Regular User
Regular User

PCX juddering when moving off

Post by RideLondon »

I'll preface this by saying that my 2015 PCX 125 is only 4 months old and has done just over 1800 miles.

In the last 6-7 days, something weird is happening when accelerating from zero. The set- off used to be smooth and seamless. But now it's jerky and juddering a lot. It's a really big contrast. This only happens when setting off from a standstill, and it stops at about 10mph. As soon as I pick up some speed, it's completely smooth again.

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Re: PCX juddering when moving off

Post by Alibally »

It might be the clutch juddering. If they get glazed up it could cause the complaint you have as it slips at low speeds then once fully engaged it stops juddering.

No doubt someone will correct me on this but a few full throttle starts might clear the fault, otherwise is a strip and clean.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I have that on my 2015 125 (now on 3000 miles and about 8-9 months old) - mentioned it a few times over the past few months and it's not only annoying but something I hate about the bike. Also, the past 2 weeks, from standstill till moving a few miles/h, when I gently turn the throttle I not only get the judder (most times) but now a whine that goes as soon as the bike is moving. Not sure what that is - hope it's the belt/clutch rubbing/grazing rather than bearings as I have not had the 2nd service done so probably lost the warranty.
I had the 1st service at the dealer, so oil and most things should have been checked from new - the 2nd service costs quite a bit (£130ish with tax) but does not really do much according to the schedule. Oil level seems fine and oil looks ok in main engine
That's one other thing I do not like about the pcx - the fidely and poor design oil checker - all too easy to catch on something when removed/inserted to check level.
As to the judder - the belts are supposed to last a long time and are quite tuff - do they stretch? Could that be a cause of judder?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

When moving off don't open the throttle gently.
This is what causes the clutch shoes to glaze and this is the cause of the judder.
The gentler you are moving off the worse it gets.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

i think the correct term is shudder. Just take some 220 sandpaper and remove the glaze from the pads, and the clutch bell. See how that preforms. My bike does the same thing, but i ride hard.
RideLondon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by RideLondon »

So I should hit the throttle hard every time I set off?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

I took my CBT test on a Honda Lead, a bike that was old and abused being used by 1st timers to biking and those wanting to pass the basic CBT - yet it rode well, had no judder even with gentle throttling. Yet much newer tech PCX's that we try and look after and go gentle with - seem to suffer from 'shudder'. As someone else mentioned and seeing people with other makes of scooter (100+ parked at work), they seem to purr in comparison and sound much nicer.
wei2go
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wei2go »

Mine shudders. It helps if you pull the brake and rev the throttle a bit before you pull off
Currently own a red pcx150 and a red NC750x DCT
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

iceman wrote:I took my CBT test on a Honda Lead, a bike that was old and abused being used by 1st timers to biking and those wanting to pass the basic CBT - yet it rode well, had no judder even with gentle throttling. Yet much newer tech PCX's that we try and look after and go gentle with - seem to suffer from 'shudder'. As someone else mentioned and seeing people with other makes of scooter (100+ parked at work), they seem to purr in comparison and sound much nicer.
You have 100+ scooters parked at work?! (and in an English speaking country!!!!)
That is more scooters than in the whole state of Ohio! (78% English speaking! :-)
I cannot imagine this.........
And yes, part/gentle throttle at takeoff freq can cause clutch chatter for a moment. After new DrPulley sliders, new belt, deglazed clutch pads.....the takeoff judder on too gentle throttle came back very quickly.
Give it the beans a bit......and your scoot will skip right through this annoyance.
Or, buy a nice CB300F with a clutch we can control.
Fish
wolf39us

Post by wolf39us »

My girlfriend and I both have 2013 PCX150's and they have been shuddering upon take off since about 3 months after purchase and it's been going on ever since. We've taken our bikes to two different bike mechanics and they both say that "there's nothing wrong with them". I really wish mine would stop shuddering everytime I take off... but at this point I've simply learned to deal with it.

I'm beginning to think this is a design flaw with so many PCX's doing the same thing.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

My one's ok but I usually pull away reasonably briskly. It helps stop the clutch glazing up apparently.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

I ride a Vision 110cc and I have zero shudder, what I do have when in traffic and slowly moving off is a sudden drop on the clutch engage/disengage it's not smooth. Something I am used too but felt like i'd mention.
aka DrewJW
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

On snowmobiles we used to tell folks WOT on takeoff or face the shudder/glazing. :o
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

I do not always get shuddering, but now for the past few weeks I have a mild whining sound before the clutch fully engages and I'm moving. Once moving, even slowly, it seems fine until I take-off from still. Really unhappy about this as it's a sign something is not right. I did not want to have all the services done as that is nearly £1000 over the 2 years (inc VAT) - actually about 850 + vat.

As I do not have a garage and the weather is still hit and miss, I may open it up when the weather warms up a bit. I'm hoping it's the belt slipping or such, but not sure. I was hoping if I rode it with care, did not go mad when new, that is would last and be hassle free, albeit with self-service after the first one.

I checked the oil today and that seems to be at the right level and looks in good condtion, at least at the level checker, although this is just the engine oil not the rear drive. I turned the rear wheel both directions and did not get the nasty noise some people have turning the wheel slowly when on the stand.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

CVTs are a weird animal and I still prefer them to chain maintenance and manual shifting but being gentle is often harder on them than being aggressive on the throttle.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

tbln930 wrote:CVTs are a weird animal and I still prefer them to chain maintenance and manual shifting but being gentle is often harder on them than being aggressive on the throttle.
Learn something new every time I open this forum :lol:
frog13
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: white

Post by frog13 »

I agree with a more substantial throttle usage instead of a light twist.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Well, been more aggressive on the throttle, but not WOFT, and the bike is running much better. The mild 'whining' noise before the clutch engaged and the shudder seem to have subsided and I feel much happier with the bike now. Seems the belt/clutch were glazed and causing grief.
Ever since new my mpg has dropped, at first I got around 140mpg but over time it's dropped to 130 or just under (I know, still great!) - but for the first time in 6 months the gauge is showing near 136mpg again (after 6 days commuting) rather than 129 (which it has for the past few months of riding). I know you cannot go directly by the built in meter, but I have always found it to be within a few mpg compared to the real calculated figures from full tank (near brim) to single bar (I use fuelly and always use the printed receipt for litres in against trip miles from last fill-up).
The fact the bike sounds nicer, rides nicer and amazingly the meter is showing near to what I had in mpg when I first got the bike, things seem great again :)
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Wait the PCX has a MPG meter too?
aka DrewJW
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

The 2015's do - you can toggle through several things such as total miles, trip, mpg or km/l, etc. Sometimes after a fill-up and 'reset' for the trip miles, it can go a bit wild and give very strange mpg (I've had 100's mpg) but then it soon settles and for me, it's proves to be very accurate as the fuel goes from 'full' to about a 1/2 tank downwards. I know it's that good because as mentioned I go be litres in (say 1.67) against trip miles.
Good to have a nice running PCX again - was getting worried by the low whine and nasty shudder it was making before the clutch cut in.