You Can't Beat Fun Like This

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

You Can't Beat Fun Like This

Post by tbln930 »

High cross-wind landings are actually fun for the experienced pilots. I always enjoy them as long as it is just strong wind and not real gusty. It freaks the passengers out a bit so it is the most fun alone. (this video happened yesterday)

This is much safer than being on a bike at high speed in heavy traffic.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/408852135000 ... show-clips
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Re: You Can't Beat Fun Like This

Post by Monty1952 »

tbln930 wrote:High cross-wind landings are actually fun for the experienced pilots. I always enjoy them as long as it is just strong wind and not real gusty. It freaks the passengers out a bit so it is the most fun alone. (this video happened yesterday)

This is much safer than being on a bike at high speed in heavy traffic.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/408852135000 ... show-clips
Very interesting - I was told by a commercial pilot not so long ago that passengers would be horrified if they could see some of their flights landing. This is the first time I have seen what he meant!
2014 Forza - Silver 2,300km
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

If you sit near the back sometimes you can see the plane fish-tailing back and forth at the nose. It happens a lot with the airliners but 99.9% of the passengers never know the pilots are tapping the rudder pedals. My old instructor is an AA Captain and he has some stories. Most of the excitement is with the passengers rather than the plane or flight.

I can't get my kids sick in the plane but the wife is another story. ;) I thought letting her fly the plane a good while might help her fears. Boy was i wrong. :lol: A takeoff with both of our hands on the sticks was out of the question too. She closes her eyes on landing. :roll:
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

SECoda/tbln930
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

She closes her eyes on landing.

Oh, so that's how automatic pilot works! :lol:
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

Awesome piloting! Got it down with no damage so that is a great landing. A good landing can have damage to the plane but with everyone walking away.

The camera's frame rate makes the props look like they are barely turning!
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

If you watch the landings with a crosswind you do a side slip until you get right over the runway with the airplane somewhat at an angle to the runway. Then you convert it to a forward slip right before you touch down to line up with the runway upon touchdown. It is actually fun to do and you touch on only one wheel first. You are limited to the rudder and the crosswind component spec of the airplane. A Cessna 172 only has about a 17 kt CC (17 knots at 90 degrees).

SECoda/tbln930
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I was aware of crazy cross winds on approach from earlier days working at Tampa International as a fueler, but that takeoff at the end of the video should have never happened. Could have lost his lift... FAIL! Pilots must have been checking their shorts o_O
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

My instructor used to make me practice in very strong winds in a Piper Warrior. I can remember often lifting off and angling the plane at near 45 degrees just to keep over the runway to stay straight in the pattern. One time I had to land at a runway about 20 miles away that ran perpendicular to my home airport runway because the wind/gust had gotten beyond the crosswind component of the plane. He made me push the envelope a lot. If any of you have had unusual attitude training - he took it to the next level. I did so many stalls and entry to spins I learned to feel and hear them coming. I think everyone that can should take flying lessons. :P

SECoda/tbln930
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

SECODA - have you ever seen a TV show Ice Pilots NWT? It is Canadian but I suspect it shows down south on something like the History channel. Awesome show and I am sure you would like it.
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Oh yes - I record it.

http://www.icepilots.com/index.php

We had Flying Wild Alaska too but they stopped it.

http://outdoorchannel.com/flying-wild-alaska

It looks like they are bringing it back

http://outdoorchannel.com/showepisodes. ... w-id=27028

SECoda/tbln930
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

tbln930 wrote: I think everyone that can should take flying lessons. :P
yeaaaaa no... not my wife or my son who don't see beyond the car in front of them :lol:
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

A little fast on the stop at LaGuardia this morning and many law suits will follow despite the minor injuries - some on departing the plane. "And thank you for flying Delta" o_O I would probably pass on the congratulatory "good landing" this time and be on my way.

SECoda/tbln930
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Powered planes are for wimps who need the safety net of going around.
Give me a glider every time.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

hehe - I do gliders too and have a little time in a helicopter. Once in a while we don't make it back to the field. o_O They get real mad because they have to haul the trailer and disassemble the glider.

My buddies Hughes 500E until he sunk it in a lake in high wind landing at Lake of the Ozarks. We mainly restaurant hopped in it.

SECoda/tbln930
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

tbln930 wrote:A little fast on the stop at LaGuardia this morning and many law suits will follow despite the minor injuries - some on departing the plane. "And thank you for flying Delta" o_O I would probably pass on the congratulatory "good landing" this time and be on my way.
Oh my God! I just saw this on the news! I Never liked flying in or out of LaGuardia Airport. Did it once going to Florida. No more after. Scary with water Right There! Not enough runway. Pilot has to be spot on each and every take off and landing! Not today though. Today's snow and ice weather, took him slidding onto the berm. So so so close to the other side......Water. o_O :o o_O
FRIGHTENING EXPERIENCE FOR ALL ONBOARD! God himself was Co-Pilot. "They Lived."
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

I can't believe we don't have a good video of it from somewhere by now?

SECoda/tbln930
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Monty1952
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Monty1952 »

WhiteNoise wrote:Just found this, but more will pop up soon: http://www.cnbc.com/id/102413682
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post ... ationwide/
I think it's the scariest airport in North America and have flown in and out of it hundreds of times. I can recall 3 times when it was close to today's event and on one occasion it was only a few feet from the fence in dense fog.
2013 BMW C600 Sport 0km!
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by tbln930 »

Thanks but I want a crash video. Like I said they dance on the rudder pedals on landing and that nose is always snaking back and forth. When it is slick it is an accident waiting to happen even on a nose-dragger that is so long. I used to take off and land on hard snow on grass frequently with wheels but wet slick snow on pavement is dicey with a long heavy plane. Weeeeee. o_O

SECoda/tbln930
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Agree! That's three too many in my book! LaGuardia's runways are Tooo short!
I would Never book anyone on a flight in or out of LaGuardia! Sorry hometown New York, Life is Good, and Worth Living. There are other (safer) airports ( :? I still pray though)