PCX juddering when moving off

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

wolf39us

Re: PCX juddering when moving off

Post by wolf39us »

Dang I'm only getting like 105mpg. I want a mpg meter!!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Mine is UK mpg, not US or other that varies due to no gallon standard. That mpg is typical of most PCX's, usually by those that throttle hard and ride 40-60 and accelerate quickly. My PCX is only for commuting, but I pull away quiet fast from lights, do 30-40 and for the journey home have to deal with heavy traffic, but still my bike has a very good mpg consumption.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

iceman wrote:Mine is UK mpg, not US or other that varies due to no gallon standard. That mpg is typical of most PCX's, usually by those that throttle hard and ride 40-60 and accelerate quickly. My PCX is only for commuting, but I pull away quiet fast from lights, do 30-40 and for the journey home have to deal with heavy traffic, but still my bike has a very good mpg consumption.

Quite fast? Unless you have a cork in the exhaust :D
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

iceman wrote:The 2015's do - you can toggle through several things such as total miles, trip, mpg or km/l, etc. Sometimes after a fill-up and 'reset' for the trip miles, it can go a bit wild and give very strange mpg (I've had 100's mpg) but then it soon settles and for me, it's proves to be very accurate as the fuel goes from 'full' to about a 1/2 tank downwards. I know it's that good because as mentioned I go be litres in (say 1.67) against trip miles.
Good to have a nice running PCX again - was getting worried by the low whine and nasty shudder it was making before the clutch cut in.

Did they finally get smart and install a clock??? that would be ideal to be able to scroll through, clock, miles / km, and odo reading
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

dem0nk1d wrote:
iceman wrote:The 2015's do - you can toggle through several things such as total miles, trip, mpg or km/l, etc. Sometimes after a fill-up and 'reset' for the trip miles, it can go a bit wild and give very strange mpg (I've had 100's mpg) but then it soon settles and for me, it's proves to be very accurate as the fuel goes from 'full' to about a 1/2 tank downwards. I know it's that good because as mentioned I go be litres in (say 1.67) against trip miles.
Good to have a nice running PCX again - was getting worried by the low whine and nasty shudder it was making before the clutch cut in.
Did they finally get smart and install a clock??? that would be ideal to be able to scroll through, clock, miles / km, and odo reading
Yes - besides the larger tank, led lights, and new seat, the clock/trip/mpg is a nice extra. One button toggles what is displayed other than clock time, and holding it in at certain selections resets or changes the reading i.e mpg, km/l, etc. Most things selectable, but varies from country to country.
Still no real use for the 12v socket (most devices will have more than enough juice for in-town riding, but is useful to charge things on longer journeys) and still cannot fit any helmet I've tried under the seat! (tried three brands of L helmet - just a cm too deep for the seat to close properly).
What I would like for a new 2017 PCX would be an extra cm deepness under the seat to accommodate larger helmets, bit extra length on the side stand so bike is slightly more upright, better suspension, deeper/larger front lockable draw and easier access to the valves :) - other than that the 2015 PCX seems fine.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Needs a bigger engine.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Would then have to pass an A1/A2 or full test to ride >125cc and Honda would not sell many in the UK. It seems a lot of people just renew the CBT rather than take an A1 or above test - cost of A1 is about £350+ and CBT is £79 for 2 yr's. I gather Honda believe the 125 Forza will sell to those who want a bit more power, but then the question is how many would bother passing a proper test to ride on motorways and still have a 125!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Proper full licence is a one-off.
Gives you the ability to ride a decent machine forever.

A 200cc PCX would be a big seller in other markets.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

gn2 wrote:Proper full licence is a one-off.

If you dislike the PCX and wish everyone had a full license why still remain on the PCX forum? :roll:

I ride with a CBT and plan to do my CBT again this year when due, and probably again after that, simply because at the minute a 125cc bike is enough for the miles I do and the work I do, why would I want to spend more money on a license, and a bigger bike which brings in higher running costs when I can make do with what I have comfortably?
aka DrewJW
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

It's a forza forum as well.
I'm in the same mindset. I'm not planning on getting anything bigger so a cbt every 2 years isn't something I'm really bothered about.
If nothing else it acts as a refresher course.
Last edited by Alibally on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Alibally wrote:It's a forza forum as well.
Just don't see the hate on the PCX when the sign on the top of the forum is PCX? I know if i want more power etc etc to get a license and a bigger bike, but it being subtly hinted by a said member in each post nearly is tiresome.

I've said my part on this.
aka DrewJW
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

See my edited post. I agree with you.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

ICEMAN if you would like your side stand to be longer... weld a washer or two to the bottom of it... so easy.
You might even be able to get a muffler shop to do it for free. ;)
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Alibally wrote:See my edited post. I agree with you.
Ah, fair enough. :D
aka DrewJW
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

One of my fav scenes. "Hey, Hey!" Seems to fit right about now

Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
RideLondon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by RideLondon »

Personally I'm planning on taking my A1 in a few weeks, just so I can take passengers on my PCX.
I intend to keep this bike for a long time- until it's no longer economical to maintain it. I don't have a dying urge to upgrade to a larger bike, so I might as well get comfortable, lose the L-plates and get someone on the back.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Sacha wrote:Personally I'm planning on taking my A1 in a few weeks, just so I can take passengers on my PCX.
I intend to keep this bike for a long time- until it's no longer economical to maintain it. I don't have a dying urge to upgrade to a larger bike, so I might as well get comfortable, lose the L-plates and get someone on the back.
I would like to have the A1 as loss of L plates and riding on a motorway (even for a few miles) would be good, even though it's still 125cc only, but it seems it's between £320-500 + another £150-200 to resit module 1 or 2 again, should you fail either. Have you got a better deal?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

DrewJW wrote:
gn2 wrote:Proper full licence is a one-off.

If you dislike the PCX and wish everyone had a full license why still remain on the PCX forum?
I don't dislike the PCX, apart from being too slow its pretty good.
Don't give a toss if anyone feels they want to run around on a 125 with a CBT rather than get a proper licence.
Its their loss.
renlik
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Post by renlik »

My PCX was also shuddering when setting off, it got gradually worse and worse from around 1,000mls up to 2,500mls - Always worst when starting from cold. After reading this thread I have been avoiding slipping the clutch as much as possible, setting away from a standstill reasonably quickly and not riding along slowly in traffic (Walking pace or less) within 2 weeks of riding like this the shuddering has completely gone - even first thing in the morning. I'm assuming this has cleaned up the clutch plates and all back to normal. I'm very impressed, it was really starting to annoy me!
2015 Honda PCX125 RED - UK Spec.

Previous Bikes: 99 Honda CB600F Hornet, 01 Aprilia SL1000 Falco, 01 Honda VFR800FI, 08 Honda CG125 ES7
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Not sure other scooters suffer in this way but it does seem to be a trend with the PCX.