New PCX Owner

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

ashraf64

New PCX Owner

Post by ashraf64 »

Morning all. I'm Ash and I'm the proud owner of a brand new PCX. I picked it up brand new on Monday.
Primary purpose for the buy is commuting. I live in north London an work in the city so the journey is approx 9 miles each way.

I've not started commuting yet as I'm a complete bike novice. The first time I rode a scooter was on my CBT! I'm trying to spend a few days just riding around locally to get used to the machine. That said, so far I love it. Such good fun.

I'll be in touch once I do my first commute to let you know how it went.

Best
Ash
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: New PCX Owner

Post by TC3 »

Congrats on the scoot Ash. Good idea to get some experience before commuting. Treat all otbers with caution and expect unexpected.
I grew up in Colindale if you know it :-)
ashraf64

New PCX Owner

Post by ashraf64 »

Hi TC3

I lived in east finchley for a while so not too far from Colindale.

My ride home the day I picked up the bike was scary to say the least. Bought it from Motoden in Hackney so it was a 5mile trip during the school run. Must say it opened my eyes to the presence of inpatient drivers and pedestrians!

I can feel my confidence growing everytime I go out now but I worry about being too over confident. Ive got a biker mate who is helping me out by watching me ride. That way he can tell me what skills I need to brush up on.
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

Hello and welcome Ash. I have had my black PCX for just over a week now and am very impressed with it I have to say. I've come to it after a long line of bigger machines yet the PCX is right up there for fun and is so practical.
You have to remember it's limitations though as it is only a 125 so avoiding fast dual-carrriage A-roads is advisable though single carriageways can also have their problems. For example, I was riding home from Gatwick to the coast on Sunday night when, after passing through the 30mph limit in Handcross village the road goes to the National Speed Limit into the darkness of the country lanes.....no problem you would think. I opened up the throttle and was at about 45mph (the headlights are very good on the PCX by the way) and was going to settle for that sort of speed for a few miles as I'm running the engine in. But a small MPV came up behind me and my speed obviously wasn't enough as I got the 'Main Beam' treatment - from behind WTF?? Whoever this driver was didn't appreciate my taking the centre of my lane as he/she kept sounding the horn. I stayed put, they didn't have the confidence to overtake mind, until the road finally straightened out properly and then I was overtaken with the accompanying sounding of more blasts on the horn. I didn't do anything wrong, was doing a reasonable speed and holding my line on the unlit, debris-strewn roads riding a 125cc two-wheeler, but that will never be enough for some drivers who feel cocooned in their metal cages.
You'll always get the knobs who will try to bully you off the road, but hold your road position (don't ride in the gutter) and you'll be fine.

Again welcome, and good luck with your great little scooter,

Bill
Image[/URL
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Ash just be alert. A lot of drivers have no respect for scooters and will want to either cut you up or drive close behind. Good you have a mate who is biker giving you pointers. Ride safe :-)
ashraf64

New PCX Owner

Post by ashraf64 »

Cheers for the pointers guys. I've been driving for almost 12 years now and assumed my road awareness was pretty spot on. Boy was I wrong! On two wheels it's so much different. My senses were overloaded what with the sounds you're exposed to and the vulnerability of being so small compared to the rest of the traffic.

I'm planning a cruise up to ace cafe on Saturday with a couple mates. That'll be my first time on an A road so we'll see how it goes.

Ps I'm still struggling with my right turns! My brain just does not want to let me lean to my right for some reason!
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

On those right turns dont target fixate the kerb. Look beyond up the road and thats where you will head. Practice somewhere safe
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

Hi ashraf64 and welcome to this great forum.
Like you I am new to the world of scooters, only passing my CBT this april and getting my pcx in may

keep doing your lifesavers,
keep within the speed limits and watch out for dick heads driving about in cages and all will be fine.
ashraf64

New PCX Owner

Post by ashraf64 »

uploader wrote:Hi ashraf64 and welcome to this great forum.
Like you I am new to the world of scooters, only passing my CBT this april and getting my pcx in may

keep doing your lifesavers,
keep within the speed limits and watch out for dick heads driving about in cages and all will be fine.
Cheers for the welcome Uploader

I'm ashamed to say I used to be one of those drivers barging past traffic like my life depended on it. I've since learned better im happy to share!
louthepoo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by louthepoo »

I used to have a problem with right hand turns - especially islands. You've just got to look where you want to go and you'll go there! Focus on the kerb or a parked car and you'll end up there!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Hey Ash! Welcome to the forums.

As a new rider, always look where you WANT the bike to go. Never focus on the curb or an obstacle -- that's the target fixation everyone's talking about. If you look where you want to go and commit to it, you'll ride it out.

Hope you enjoy the ride, and feel free to post up any questions you may have.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
ashraf64

New PCX Owner

Post by ashraf64 »

Hello everyone

So I have done my first commute and it went pretty OK. The morning commute wasn't too bad as I left earlier than normal to beat the mad rush into the city. The evening commute home was slightly unnerving. Im still not fully confident in my filtering skills. So I ended up queueing at junctions with all the cars.

Other than that the general ride was very pleasant. I really started to enjoy the bike more than normal as I had a destination and not just riding around.

Off the line the PCX is quite a rocket. I've not taken the beyond half throttle yet but I can still feel the power. Have disabled the idle function for now until I'm more used to riding as it tends to worry me when it suddenly cuts out.

One question for the you fellow PCXers; have you considered fitting clocks on the bike? When I'm traveling I like to know how long I've been on the road and without a timepiece built in I felt a bit lost on my commute. I've seen some handlebar clocks on the bay but not sure if they're worth the £40 odd?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I just use a cheap Casio watch.
One of these.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

lactic

Post by lactic »

Welcome Ash, I'm new to scooter riding too, only picked my PCX up a few weeks back, just remember you have as much right to be on the road as everyone else and your fully entitled to take the centre of the lane as billy mentioned, if someone behind wants to go faster it's up to them to overtake. It's a good idea to get in some practice away from your normal commute to improve your skills and remember to practice the things your bad at, for me it's the slow speed manouvering I'm still not happy with, for you it would be your right hand turns, like they say practice makes perfect :D
Image Image
al69
Regular User
Regular User

Post by al69 »

Hi ash i was in exactly the same position as yourself last august.Just keep taking it easy as you are now,over time you will slowly build on your filtering skills etc but its best to be safe and slow than fast and dangerous. Really keep your eyes peeled for any metal in the road like drain covers etc,brake on one of these in the wet and its like being on ice.I even almost came off in traffic at a walking speed as my front wheel locked up on one.As i was in heavy traffic i couldnt even avoid it,makes your heart rate jump up thats for sure !

I fitted an led clock to mine easily enough http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=68 so could see if i was running late etc.Its best to leave plenty of time so you dont have to rush.

Make sure you lock it up well, a lot of scooters and bikes get nicked in london,only the other day someone nicked my numberplate so no doubt will have all the crap that goes with that when it gets used illegally.The police were saying a lot of number plates are getting nicked from bikes and scoots.The new one ive fixed on with torx headed bolts and nylock nuts so it needs a bit more thought to remove.

Also invest in some waterpoofs or decent jacket etc.Mine is supposed to be waterproof but its not.The new hein gericke waterproof kit i bought to go over it certainly is and doesnt take up much room on the scooter.

In the winter consider handlebar muffs or deflectors,it certainly can get cold even with decent gloves on,again something i learned the hardway.

I too gave yup with the idle stop,its not good in london traffic but fine on long country type rides.Tbh i didnt find it saved fuel anyway and still getting over 100mpg per tank so well happy anyway.
ericpcx
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ericpcx »

Yes,I also hold my line and if they aren't happy with the speed i am riding,then tough,they should leave a few minutes earlier
Theboybilly wrote:Hello and welcome Ash. I have had my black PCX for just over a week now and am very impressed with it I have to say. I've come to it after a long line of bigger machines yet the PCX is right up there for fun and is so practical.
You have to remember it's limitations though as it is only a 125 so avoiding fast dual-carrriage A-roads is advisable though single carriageways can also have their problems. For example, I was riding home from Gatwick to the coast on Sunday night when, after passing through the 30mph limit in Handcross village the road goes to the National Speed Limit into the darkness of the country lanes.....no problem you would think. I opened up the throttle and was at about 45mph (the headlights are very good on the PCX by the way) and was going to settle for that sort of speed for a few miles as I'm running the engine in. But a small MPV came up behind me and my speed obviously wasn't enough as I got the 'Main Beam' treatment - from behind WTF?? Whoever this driver was didn't appreciate my taking the centre of my lane as he/she kept sounding the horn. I stayed put, they didn't have the confidence to overtake mind, until the road finally straightened out properly and then I was overtaken with the accompanying sounding of more blasts on the horn. I didn't do anything wrong, was doing a reasonable speed and holding my line on the unlit, debris-strewn roads riding a 125cc two-wheeler, but that will never be enough for some drivers who feel cocooned in their metal cages.
You'll always get the knobs who will try to bully you off the road, but hold your road position (don't ride in the gutter) and you'll be fine.

Again welcome, and good luck with your great little scooter,

Bill
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

al69 wrote:The new hein gericke waterproof kit i bought to go over it certainly is
Which ones did you get?
I could be doing with a spare set so any information would be very helpful :)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
al69
Regular User
Regular User

Post by al69 »

gn2 wrote:
al69 wrote:The new hein gericke waterproof kit i bought to go over it certainly is
Which ones did you get?
I could be doing with a spare set so any information would be very helpful :)
I got these http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/hein-geri ... 16298.html
http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/hein-geri ... 16297.html

over the jubilee weekend for a bargain at £28 delivered.
The jacket is very good quality as you would expect at the full price.In fact just got in from work and it was lashing it down but this kits makes it irrelevant as it works well.I reckon it will be a hit in the winter too as it really stops the wind getting in too.
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

I have a clock from Linda & Ross at Clocks4bikes. It is a really well made item and looks great. I didn't need the illuminated version as a lot of my night riding is on illuminated roads. I received my clock within 7 days of ordering and it took less than 60 seconds to fit from unpacking. Top-drawer customer service from a very nice couple of people.
Recommended.

Bill
Image[/URL