13 gram dr pulleys installed with filing mod, results.

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

DeaninMilwaukee
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

13 gram dr pulleys installed with filing mod, results.

Post by DeaninMilwaukee »

The weather finally broke here so I was able to get my pcx150 over to a buddies house to borrow his air impact wrench and got my 13 gram dr pulley sliders installed.

My bike had 250 miles on it so the variator, so there were no worn ridges on the face, just a polished zone showing me how far to file the face down. This was easy and I had it reassembled about 1 hour after I started.

On the stand, it now hit the limiter at 78 mph.

On the road previously stock, I could not exceed 68 mph as this is where the rev limiter noticeably kicked in. You could feel it turning on and off. Now, I was able to hit 69 with no hint of rev limiter, so in ideal conditions interstate use is now possible.

Acceleration to 50 mph is quite a lot faster, especially in the 10 to 45 mph range. VERY noticeable.

On hwy on ramps while stock, cars would pile up behind me. Now I am usually the one closing in behind the cars needing to back off on the gas.

One thing I did notice that I hadn't seen mentioned here before is that the bike is noticeably louder, a result of being at higher rpms anytime your significantly on the gas. Others have said that mileage was unchanged with lighter weights so I'm forced to conclude that the real reason Honda went with such heavy stock weights was primarily to allow it to pass noise regulations, not performance or mileage concerns.

Dean
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: 13 gram dr pulleys installed with filing mod, results.

Post by homie »

Indeed... this was my experience as well with 13g. Higher low end acceleration, increased top end speed, noticeable increase in rev audio out of the gate and a commanding agility over urban traffic flow. Not going highway cruising around here unless I get tired of living.

Your observations are keen and this statement (if true) is interesting...
"Honda went with such heavy stock weights was primarily to allow it to pass noise regulations, not performance or mileage concerns"

12g rollers won't give you further satisfaction... been there, done that :)

DeaninMilwaukee
Regular User
Regular User

I couldn't find data on how or what speed they measure drive by noise levels, but my bike is noticeably louder at even parking lot speeds. People almost notice me coming now. ;) Before the bike was almost electric quiet.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I put ncy 13gm rollers and a new belt on my 2013 pcx 150 a couple of days ago, but couldn't test it till today. It only has 3000 miles on it but i had previously pulled the belt when it was brand new and put it on my wife's pcx. Prior to that my pcx topped out at 68 mph (gps). Today it hit 70 mph and hadn't hit the limiter yet, though it was close. I kept our winter wind blockers on which made the wind resistance very light. We ran on the freeway for 20 or 30 minutes. I could have ridden all day like that.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

DeaninMilwaukee wrote:The weather finally broke here so I was able to get my pcx150 over to a buddies house to borrow his air impact wrench and got my 13 gram dr pulley sliders installed.

My bike had 250 miles on it so the variator, so there were no worn ridges on the face, just a polished zone showing me how far to file the face down. This was easy and I had it reassembled about 1 hour after I started.

On the road previously stock, I could not exceed 68 mph as this is where the rev limiter noticeably kicked in. You could feel it turning on and off. Now, I was able to hit 69 with no hint of rev limiter, so in ideal conditions interstate use is now possible.

Acceleration to 50 mph is quite a lot faster, especially in the 10 to 45 mph range. VERY noticeable.

On hwy on ramps while stock, cars would pile up behind me. Now I am usually the one closing in behind the cars needing to back off on the gas.

One thing I did notice that I hadn't seen mentioned here before is that the bike is noticeably louder, a result of being at higher rpms anytime your significantly on the gas. Others have said that mileage was unchanged with lighter weights so I'm forced to conclude that the real reason Honda went with such heavy stock weights was primarily to allow it to pass noise regulations, not performance or mileage concerns.

Dean
So 1mph difference?
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

you you wrote:
DeaninMilwaukee wrote:The weather finally broke here so I was able to get my pcx150 over to a buddies house to borrow his air impact wrench and got my 13 gram dr pulley sliders installed.

Dean
So 1mph difference?
Thanks for pointing that out, did you have to use calculator?
Do you always have to piss on someone else's parade?!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I noticed the same things that Dean did. I would conclude that the lighter rollers gave us quicker acceleration rather than more top end. We only gained 3 mph top end, but we got there much quicker.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

Pcxdemon wrote: Thanks for pointing that out, did you have to use calculator?
Do you always have to piss on someone else's parade?!
You had to ask? :D

The gearing thing is interesting to me. I put in the countergear from the 2013 PCX into my 2015 model, I replaced my NCY vario with the Yuminashi vario(now running 10g weights instead of 13g), and I also had this gear set installed:
http://www.yuminashi.eu/short-esp-gear- ... techno125/

Now I would assume that was supposed to be the same as this set, only without the shaft and the sensor:
http://www.yuminashi.eu/forged-final-ge ... 0-engines/

Thing is, I'm only getting about 81 mph on the stand at 9600 rpms, so a 3 mph(or 3-4%) increase, assuming the speedo is accurate(GPS always shows a speed 5 mph less than my speedo speed, outside of city speeds). Numbers wise it didn't seem to affect much, but the engine noise is much lower and there's a lag before the clutch engages, so it does seem like the rpms went down in a noticeable way even with the lighter weights. I just can't figure out why it doesn't seem to have as much of a potential top speed.
DeaninMilwaukee
Regular User
Regular User

I've been commuting with this setup for a couple of weeks now and have found top speed is very wind dependant.
Into strong headwinds I may not hit 65mph, but the couple of times I had strong tailwinds I was able to hit 73mph with no sign of the rev limiter intruding. This is on essentially level ground on the interstate.

I really can't see any downside to the variator file and dr pulley mod, and fuel economy is still the same 75mpg I was getting before the mods.
wingz
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Dark Silver

Post by wingz »

Valiant wrote: I also had this gear set installed:
http://www.yuminashi.eu/short-esp-gear- ... techno125/

Now I would assume that was supposed to be the same as this set, only without the shaft and the sensor:
http://www.yuminashi.eu/forged-final-ge ... 0-engines/
Definitely not the same. You can see the difference if you study the pictures carefully and count teeth.
Still irritating that they don't state the ratio or respond to PMs or emails.
That said, I'm very happy with the 15/45.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

DeaninMilwaukee wrote:I've been commuting with this setup for a couple of weeks now and have found top speed is very wind dependant.
Into strong headwinds I may not hit 65mph, but the couple of times I had strong tailwinds I was able to hit 73mph with no sign of the rev limiter intruding. This is on essentially level ground on the interstate.

I really can't see any downside to the variator file and dr pulley mod, and fuel economy is still the same 75mpg I was getting before the mods.
If your regular commute is on the freeways at 50+ mph, you likely won't see a difference. However, you might see increased fuel consumption at city speeds(40 mph or less) because you're running at higher rpms while at slower speeds.
DeaninMilwaukee
Regular User
Regular User

Approximately 5 out of the 6.5 miles out of my work commute are on the interstate at 60+ mph. I was hoping when I bought it to see better than 75mpg, but it still beats the heck out of the 30 mpg my Mazda 5 gets, and using it is saving lots of wear and tear on the car. The car is getting driven less than 50 miles per week now.
I figure I will be able to go years longer before needing a new car because I'm using the scooter whenever its practical.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

DeaninMilwaukee wrote:Approximately 5 out of the 6.5 miles out of my work commute are on the interstate at 60+ mph. I was hoping when I bought it to see better than 75mpg, but it still beats the heck out of the 30 mpg my Mazda 5 gets, and using it is saving lots of wear and tear on the car. The car is getting driven less than 50 miles per week now.
I figure I will be able to go years longer before needing a new car because I'm using the scooter whenever its practical.
Only way to get better mileage is to cut down on the rpms at the same speeds. Heavier weights only make a difference at city speeds. Longer gearing would help overall, but you'd lose power all around, probably not something you'd want to do if you never reach the rev limiter on the road.
wingz wrote: Definitely not the same. You can see the difference if you study the pictures carefully and count teeth.
Still irritating that they don't state the ratio or respond to PMs or emails.
That said, I'm very happy with the 15/45.
Kinda surprised you would count the teeth on a picture o.O

Reggie has been more responsive lately, so I suppose you could shoot him an e-mail before buying.

Roman from RzRacing has been a little...meh. When he sold me the kit, he didn't include the larger intake pipe or insulation piece I needed, so now I'm waiting for those from Yuminashi. He told me he'd look into the wiring issue on the throttle body, but never got back to me on that.

So yeah, kind of a coin toss on this stuff, especially given the limited amount of engine mod parts available for the PCX.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

you you wrote:So 1mph difference?
But at least now with the longer gearing from the DrPulley sliders and the filing of the vario, the engine is nowhere near the redline at 69 mph so you can actually hold that wind resistance limited speed (on a 150) without cutting in and out on the rev limiter. And there is no question that a PCX will be 1-2 seconds quicker from 10-50 mph with lighter weights. I went from 18gm to 12gm. And now with the new parts, am only getting a pulling rpm of 7,800 so I could probably even have changed to 11gm with the new belt and vario. Not bad for $30. It is interesting though that when I recently replaced my belt, vario, and drive face with new factory parts, I found that the vario already had the belt traveling all the way out to the edge with no filing required. So if I had filed this new vario without checking the travel first, I would have had too much travel with the belt part way off the top of the pulleys. So filing can only be done after running in any drivetrain.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

sendler2112 wrote:
you you wrote:So 1mph difference?
But at least now with the longer gearing from the DrPulley sliders and the filing of the vario, the engine is nowhere near the redline at 69 mph so you can actually hold that wind resistance limited speed (on a 150) without cutting in and out on the rev limiter. And there is no question that a PCX will be 1-2 seconds quicker from 10-50 mph with lighter weights. I went from 18gm to 12gm. And now with the new parts, am only getting a pulling rpm of 7,800 so I could probably even have changed to 11gm with the new belt and vario. Not bad for $30. It is interesting though that when I recently replaced my belt, vario, and drive face with new factory parts, I found that the vario already had the belt traveling all the way out to the edge with no filing required. So if I had filed this new vario without checking the travel first, I would have had too much travel with the belt part way off the top of the pulleys. So filing can only be done after running in any drivetrain.
[img]https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot ... 2665_n.jpg?
oh=882732bd979c4ee72578279be23b478c&oe=55B04E0A[/img]

You're wasting your breath trying to explain..
wingz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wingz »

Valiant wrote: Kinda surprised you would count the teeth on a picture o.O
Disappointing that I had to resort to that.. still haven't had a response and doubt I ever will...
I certainly wasn't going to pay a non-responsive company just to establish that the product is useless to me.
I was crapped out badly enough after "wasting money" on the correct gear set. o_O

Since you have bought the short set, you can count the teeth on the actual gears if you like. ;)
I definitely recommend the 15/45 set.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

wingz wrote: Disappointing that I had to resort to that.. still haven't had a response and doubt I ever will...
I certainly wasn't going to pay a non-responsive company just to establish that the product is useless to me.
I was crapped out badly enough after "wasting money" on the correct gear set. o_O
Is that recently? I know he was pretty unresponsive up until the end of February, but I got a reply from him yesterday. He didn't specify on the larger gear, but he did mention that the countershaft has the same number of teeth, but the diameter is smaller.
Since you have bought the short set, you can count the teeth on the actual gears if you like. ;)
I definitely recommend the 15/45 set.
Think I'll pass on that for now. If my iPhone 6 GPS app is accurate, my speedo is overreading about 5-6 mph. Speedo reads 75(typical flat road speed), but my GPS insists I'm only going 68.8 mph. I think it was mentioned that map-based GPS doesn't calculate distance along the z-axis(up or down), so I'm not sure how accurate that is. But based on a little math(no tachy), I'm running at about 8900-9000 rpms at that speed, so I basically can't go above that without going downhill.

That in mind, lengthening the gearing further probably isn't the best move I could make if I can't reach the limiter. I could probably still lengthen the gearing further with the KN Planning Torque Driver anyway, which wouldn't throw off the speedo further. But hopefully the rpm ceiling will go up once I get my 31mm throttle body and manifold installed.
wingz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wingz »

Valiant wrote: Is that recently? I know he was pretty unresponsive up until the end of February, but I got a reply from him yesterday. He didn't specify on the larger gear, but he did mention that the countershaft has the same number of teeth, but the diameter is smaller.
That was in January. Yes, I think the short gear set is either same ratio as stock or very close to it.
I still haven't optimised my cvt... It pulls at about 7500rpm. But I definitely have more power than before at 100 - 120km/h now that it runs well below red line.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

I spoke to Reggy today,quite a bit actually.
He is a busy man by the sounds of it all. New vario has been developed and it's apparently quite good.
He'll send me one soon to review and test it out as I'd have a good gauge since I tried quite a few different ones in the past.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

wingz wrote: That was in January. Yes, I think the short gear set is either same ratio as stock or very close to it.
I still haven't optimised my cvt... It pulls at about 7500rpm. But I definitely have more power than before at 100 - 120km/h now that it runs well below red line.
Is that how it works? I always figured that if you had trouble getting up to the red line in the first place, then making the gearing longer wouldn't help with that. I wasn't sure if power would actually drop if you went above the peak power range of 8500 rpms.

Like if I'm running at 69 mph at 8900 rpms on a flat road because my PCX can't push past wind resistance, wouldn't the PCX run slower if I extended the gearing? If your torque remains unchanged, then it wouldn't make sense for the speed to go up unless you have more torque at 8500 rpms than you do at 8900 rpms.

Just wondering since I was debating whether or not to have the KN Planning torque driver installed when I put in the 31mm throttle body and manifold and finally balance out the rich AFR from my BBK install. I expect to get a bump up in power, in addition to putting in 8g rollers to increase the pulling rpm, so I figured I could afford to take the hit on that.