Thinking of trading an Elite 110 too a Pcx

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

MskJon

Thinking of trading an Elite 110 too a Pcx

Post by MskJon »

Hi guys, new to the forum but not to Hondas. I have 2 Elite 110s I bought used, a honda 3813 tractor, gererator, Civic etc.
Dealers still have new 2010 Elites and a 2011 PCX here in Muskegon, Mi! $3000 vs $3300? I didn't realize what an awesome scooter the Elite was till I owned and road it a while. I haven't even seen a PCX on the road, what stands out about them? One of my Elites has a windshield. What about the little one on the PCX? What impresses you that you didn't know till you road it? The salesman here don't even know as much as I do which is nodda. Thanks for your observations guys! I'll post pics if I can figure out how.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Thinking of trading an Elite 110 too a Pcx

Post by gn2 »

Here's the facts.
A PCX has a top speed of 62.5mph so no major advantage over an Elite.
Real world PCX fuel consumption is circa 100mpg (imperial) so no real advantage over an Elite.
As I see it the only major plus points for the PCX over an Elite are the size of the wheels and more modern styling.
If you are trading up and want something significantly faster than your Elite you will need to look at a 250-300cc job.
If you just want a new scooter and fancy a change, you may as well go for the PCX, it's a great scooter for its intended use as a city runabout, but don't expect too much of it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
jasontheparamedic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jasontheparamedic »

As someone who did trade an Elite 110 for a PCX 125 I can add my 0.02. My top speed for the Elite was 53 mph but with gradual belt wear top speed went down to 48 mph. The PCX had the samed problem for me as was in an earlier thread I made a couple months ago. I started at around 61 mph top speed but it gradually went down to 57 mph, probably for the same reason. With J. Costa variator I now go about 62 mph on average. However, in hindsight the price of the J. Costa is honestly not worth the trouble considering the cost of tools to do it yourself in addition to $250 price for new variator. Both have good fuel economy and styling. The "windshield" of the PCX is about worthless. Elite 110 has better storage! Both have a pain-in-the-ass valve adjustment schedule which can get costly. As gn2 stated, go bigger in your choice of bike. PCX 125 is not worth the loss of trade in value for Elite. I have no idea how fast a PCX 150 goes in the USA so I can't comment there. The only problem is that Honda has not made a mid-size scooter like the Reflex 250cc for a few years now, making you have to go all the way up to Silverwing (around 580cc). Kymco makes a nice looking 300cc called the Downtown that would do well. It's all about what you need and how much money you can shell out.
super_g

Post by super_g »

I recently went to the local Honda dealership with the intention of buying the 110. I had a 50cc in the past and thought the additional cc and extra storage would be perfect. I test drove both on a very windy day with some good size hills. The 110 was nice but I was really uncomfortable on the straightaway with a strong headwind. It was really unstable in the wind, now this wasn't everyday conditions but it was uncomfortable/scary. I rode the PCX next and the it had more pickup on the hills (of course 125/110) but the stability of the PCX was much better. I ended up with the PCX and really love it, I'm really glad to have the extra engine size and the stability of 14" wheels.

With that said, not sure if the difference is worth the trade-in loss.

Good luck with your decision.