New owner - first mods and where to get parts in Australia

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

nzmike
Year: 2015
Color: Siena Red

New owner - first mods and where to get parts in Australia

Post by nzmike »

Hi all,

I have just scored a 2015 Siena Red PCX-150 with just 6km on it, as well as a fitted top-end Givi topbox, from a dealer here in Sydney, for a steal. It's a demo bike but no-one rode it so it's essentally a brand new bike... can't wait to pick it up on Saturday!

So, for my questions - first, whilst I loved the two demo rides (at other dealers) I really felt that I'd like a little more acceleration from stand-still and at lower speeds... what would be the first and most basic mods to give me this? I am not really worried about increasing top speed as I will rarely have this bike on a freeway.

Second, do aftermarket exhausts actually improve the performance of the bike in any way or does it just make the bike louder? I think more noise is a good thing when you're on a scooter or bike but not sure I want to pay the prices unless I'm getting a bit of a power boost as well.

Third, for those in Australia like me (Sydney metro), where do you buy your PCX-150 performance parts and other spares from... anywhere good in Aussie or do they really all come from Japan? Any sites anyone can recommend would be appreciated.

TIA for any advice - had lots of scooters in the past (and my main bike is a 1200cc BMW R nine T) but I'm a noob with the PCX so hoping someone can help me with answers to the above Q's.

Mike
2015 Honda PCX150 (Siena Red)
2014 BMW R nineT (absolutely the best bike I've ever ridden - totally in love with it!)
2013 BMW F700GS (sold)
2013 Kawasaki EF650 (sold)
2008 Derbi Rambla 250i (sold - but what an amazing scooter, still kicking myself for selling it)
....and a whole host of other scooters and bikes too long to list here....
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: White

Re: New owner - first mods and where to get parts in Austral

Post by Valiant »

nzmike wrote:Hi all,

I have just scored a 2015 Siena Red PCX-150 with just 6km on it, as well as a fitted top-end Givi topbox, from a dealer here in Sydney, for a steal. It's a demo bike but no-one rode it so it's essentally a brand new bike... can't wait to pick it up on Saturday!

So, for my questions - first, whilst I loved the two demo rides (at other dealers) I really felt that I'd like a little more acceleration from stand-still and at lower speeds... what would be the first and most basic mods to give me this? I am not really worried about increasing top speed as I will rarely have this bike on a freeway.
Well the basics of the basics is to use lighter weights in your variator, maybe 12-13g. Next would be stiffer clutch springs, that should eliminate the lag when you twist the throttle(might feel a bit jerky at this point). You might also want a reinforced drive belt, as the sudden starts could lead to quicker belt wear(my opinion, might take a while for that to become an issue).
Second, do aftermarket exhausts actually improve the performance of the bike in any way or does it just make the bike louder? I think more noise is a good thing when you're on a scooter or bike but not sure I want to pay the prices unless I'm getting a bit of a power boost as well.
In my experience, the power boost, if any, will be very subtle. If price is an object, I would stay away and save up for a bigger bike. Having spent a couple grand for performance parts, I can tell you that you'd have to shell out a couple hundred at a time for the smallest gains in power, depending on your setup.
Third, for those in Australia like me (Sydney metro), where do you buy your PCX-150 performance parts and other spares from... anywhere good in Aussie or do they really all come from Japan? Any sites anyone can recommend would be appreciated.
Australia doesn't strike me as scooter parts central. Most of these parts are made either in Japan, Taiwan, or Thailand. International shipping can get expensive, but it shouldn't be unexpected. I don't think a single part was ever shipped to me within the US.
TIA for any advice - had lots of scooters in the past (and my main bike is a 1200cc BMW R nine T) but I'm a noob with the PCX so hoping someone can help me with answers to the above Q's.
If you have a 1200cc bike, I would just stick to a peppy transmission setup(quick starts from stop) rather than go after power. I'm just buying performance parts because space is an issue.
nzmike

Post by nzmike »

Thanks for your answer valiant - appreciate all the info.

It certainly seems the variator is the first thing to do and I know there are lots of options so I'll have to get searching and reading, but the Malossi set seems very good: http://scooterpartsco.com/malossi/malos ... 0-m5115552 - anyone have any experience with these? Also, can you fit this kit yourself or does a dealer need to do it? I'm really not much of a mechanic so how difficult for a noob would it be?

I've been looking at exhaust systems and while there are some lovely ones (Akra, Leo Vince, Arrow) they are bl00dy expensive considering it's only a scooter... still very keen to put a better looking/sounding pipe on it eventually though but I'll leave that mod for a bit later.
2014 BMW R nineT (absolutely the best bike I've ever ridden - totally in love with it!)
2013 BMW F700GS (sold)
2008 Derbi Rambla 250i (sold - but what an amazing scooter, still kicking myself for selling it)
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Check out webike. There's plenty stuff on there to keep you entertained. The takegawa kit seems to get favourable reviews as well.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

Welcome to the forum! Ride safe. :D
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

nzmike wrote:Thanks for your answer valiant - appreciate all the info.

It certainly seems the variator is the first thing to do and I know there are lots of options so I'll have to get searching and reading, but the Malossi set seems very good: http://scooterpartsco.com/malossi/malos ... 0-m5115552 - anyone have any experience with these? Also, can you fit this kit yourself or does a dealer need to do it? I'm really not much of a mechanic so how difficult for a noob would it be?
I'm sure many of the parts are quality(aside from the Chinese made stuff on fleaBay). Some might be geared longer(higher top speed) than others. Installation wise, I'd say it's very easy(never did it myself though).

You just need an impact wrench to pop the nuts off and on:

Time-wise, I saw my scooter shop guy pop the trans open and install parts inside, then closed it up in about 20 minutes. I just don't happen to have a garage.
I've been looking at exhaust systems and while there are some lovely ones (Akra, Leo Vince, Arrow) they are bl00dy expensive considering it's only a scooter... still very keen to put a better looking/sounding pipe on it eventually though but I'll leave that mod for a bit later.
I would say a derestricted intake/exhaust becomes important if and when you install something like a Big Bore Kit to increase the displacement, and you need that extra air flow.

But if you're not taking it on the freeway, then there's honestly no need for that. In stock form with transmission mods alone you should be able to leave other cars in the dust at normal road speeds. Engine mods on the newer LED models are also a little more complicated.
nzmike

Post by nzmike »

>Check out webike. There's plenty stuff on there to keep you entertained. The takegawa kit seems to get favourable reviews as well.
@alibally, thanks for the referral to webike - have already registered and put a few things in my shopping basket (like the Honda Floor Panel http://japan.webike.net/products/21578956.html) and muffler garnish (http://japan.webike.net/products/21578957.html) - just a couple of cheaper cosmetic mods to start with while I work out which variator and other performance mods to get :-)

>You just need an impact wrench to pop the nuts off and on:
@valiant, thx for the link to the video - will watch it when I get time and decide if I'm game enough to do it myself. I don't have a garage either so will be doing it in my carport. I'm so unmechanical though I'd be tempted to pay for someone to fit it... OTOH maybe it's time I worked up the courage and learned to do this stuff myself.
2013 BMW F700GS (sold)
nzmike

Post by nzmike »

Lol, watched that video and it COMPLETELY PUT ME OFF installing it myself. Call me a wuss but I am not mechanical and it just looks like a job I'd screw up. Unfortunately I'm the sorta guy that does a job like that and at the end of it find I have two left over screws and a spring and a missing wrench. :-/

I also didn't count on the fact that changing out the variator and other engine/gearbox stuff voids my warranty period until I asked the Honda dealer the other day. So when that 12 months is up I'll have a rethink re changing the variator but for now I'll just have to accept the power on offer - which should be fine, and is still way more than the absolutely gutless POS Chinese-built no-name 125cc scoot I have at present.... it was very cheap and for a reason , it's literally the worst thing I've ever ridden.
2013 BMW F700GS (sold)
forza300
Regular User
Regular User

Post by forza300 »

Hi Mike, Don't worry the PCX loosens up nicely from 500-1000kms and you'll find it has more than enough power. If you're looking for a simple task to gently ease you into maintenance try replacing the air filter with one from SIMOSA, BMC, K&N etc and junk that little plastic snorkel that's fitted to the airbox cover. Seriously mate, all you need is a Philips head screwdriver and 5 mins (or less than 1 stubbie in drinking terms).

Welcome to the forum and rejoice in the thousands of years of knowledge on bikes the forum posters have.

PS - PCX in red look awesome glinting in the sun. I followed a bloke the other week and was quite impressed by the paint job. Much "redder" than in the showroom. 8)
------------------------
nzmike

Post by nzmike »

forza300 wrote:Hi Mike, Don't worry the PCX loosens up nicely from 500-1000kms and you'll find it has more than enough power. If you're looking for a simple task to gently ease you into maintenance try replacing the air filter with one from SIMOSA, BMC, K&N etc and junk that little plastic snorkel that's fitted to the airbox cover. Seriously mate, all you need is a Philips head screwdriver and 5 mins (or less than 1 stubbie in drinking terms).

Welcome to the forum and rejoice in the thousands of years of knowledge on bikes the forum posters have.

PS - PCX in red look awesome glinting in the sun. I followed a bloke the other week and was quite impressed by the paint job. Much "redder" than in the showroom. 8)
Thanks forza - have been zipping around on the PCX now for a couple of week and am really loving it - just feels so much like a bigger bike and the ride, handling, equipment, fit and finish are all up to the usual excellent Honda standard. I'm really glad I got the red - it is absolutely gorgeous, especially when in sunlight. Have already had a few comments on how nice it looks from other scooter riders and even a few of my anti-scooter mates who I ride my 'big bike' with have admired it.

I ordered some bling the other day from Japan and thought about getting a fancy air filter as well but wasn't sure I needed one... does it help improve performance in any way? I do see lots of PCX's with aftermarket airboxes so I guess it must have some tangible benefit (will Google it). Sounds like it would be a good job to get my hands dirty as a starting point... always feels better to do it yourself :-)
2013 BMW F700GS (sold)
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Higher airflow doesn't do much if there's nothing drawing any extra air.

Think of the engine cylinder as a 16 fl oz soda bottle. The air is your carbonated water, and the gas is your sugar. When you're derestricting the intake in any way, that's sort of like making the opening for the bottle bigger. It's still a 16 fl oz bottle and can only hold so much.

It would only improve power if the cylinder had trouble filling up the entire volume, say at very high rpms when the valves aren't open for very long. So maybe your top speed might go up a touch if you're already using an aftermarket variator and have trouble getting up to red line.

IMO however, the air filter isn't the problem. I'm currently running a 175cc kit with a performance camshaft. I have a DNA air filter, but that's still not letting me draw enough air to power the engine past about 8800 rpms on flats. I don't have the required 31mm throttle body, the 31mm intake manifold, and the 31mm large intake tube. Because air flow is restricted by the weakest link, either the stock TB, manifold, or intake tube is restricting the airflow enough that the aftermarket filter can't compensate for the lack of the wider parts I'm missing.

The exhaust on the other hand would be more noticeable, as the stock exhaust is usually pretty heavily restricted in order to comply with emissions restrictions.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Valiant wrote:Higher airflow doesn't do much if there's nothing drawing any extra air.

Think of the engine cylinder as a 16 fl oz soda bottle. The air is your carbonated water, and the gas is your sugar. When you're derestricting the intake in any way, that's sort of like making the opening for the bottle bigger. It's still a 16 fl oz bottle and can only hold so much.

It would only improve power if the cylinder had trouble filling up the entire volume, say at very high rpms when the valves aren't open for very long. So maybe your top speed might go up a touch if you're already using an aftermarket variator and have trouble getting up to red line.

IMO however, the air filter isn't the problem. I'm currently running a 175cc kit with a performance camshaft. I have a DNA air filter, but that's still not letting me draw enough air to power the engine past about 8800 rpms on flats. I don't have the required 31mm throttle body, the 31mm intake manifold, and the 31mm large intake tube. Because air flow is restricted by the weakest link, either the stock TB, manifold, or intake tube is restricting the airflow enough that the aftermarket filter can't compensate for the lack of the wider parts I'm missing.

The exhaust on the other hand would be more noticeable, as the stock exhaust is usually pretty heavily restricted in order to comply with emissions restrictions.
Not totally sure I agree with everything but you are right. Volumetric efficiency is limited for many reasons, not least the two valve design.
fast1075
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by fast1075 »

I'm quite surprised to hear VE mentioned in a scooter forum. Personally, I am happy with tractor-like bottom and midrange in a scooter.

Changing the variator weights will make a world of difference in how peppy and drivable it is. I used 13 gram Dr. Pulley sliders. I weigh about 160 pounds.
The Fasterizer
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SmellyTofu »

Webike and ebay. Forget everywhere else as there's nothing off the shelf. Even Supercrapauto et al will not stock any MB rated oils for scooters. Also don't expect miracles. It is still a small scooter although it can make a good take off at the lights.