pcx parked up for now

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

bromleyxjr

pcx parked up for now

Post by bromleyxjr »

my boss has purchased a scooter for a hopefully getting around London over the Olympic period , and as i am the only engineer with a bike license i got it .
As its a experimental vehicle , its a cheap 6 year old sym joyride 200 and i must say it has a lot more space over the pcx and its only a 180cc engine with the old carb but it shifts from the lights so much faster than my pcx .
i am so impressed with it , the PCX has taken up a place in the garden for now!
if i had test ridden one of these 6mths ago i would have bought a new one myself , sorry PCX ?
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Re: pcx parked up for now

Post by Theboybilly »

Syms get good reviews. Having a larger engine will always help on performance and storage space can make or break a deal. The PCX though is all about economy in a smart, reliable package where it should succeed brilliantly in my opinion. That said, I will hold out on my final judgement until I've had a few routine services done. It's horses for courses. I would need to do much longer distances, or use faster roads, before considering anything larger than a 125.

Bill
Image[/URL
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

When I got my PCX there wasn't a Sym dealer where I live.
There is now though, so a Sym could be a possibility for my next scooter.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

I decided not to go for Sym as my local dealer said they were going to drop it due service issues and difficulty getting parts. But they look great on paper and if I lived in a big city with a choice of dealers I may have bought one instead. If they would bring out a 300cc PCX that would be my perfect bike!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
duive01
Regular User
Regular User

Post by duive01 »

I've bought (ordered) my PCX because it's cheap (a Joyride costs almost 50 percent more!), has great fuel economy, is lightweight and looks great. In all these points the PCX wins over the Sym Joyride.
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

Taz wrote:I decided not to go for Sym as my local dealer said they were going to drop it due service issues and difficulty getting parts. But they look great on paper and if I lived in a big city with a choice of dealers I may have bought one instead. If they would bring out a 300cc PCX that would be my perfect bike!
Ditto. I'm quite happy with my PCX for the momento, but I know I'll want something a bit larger in the future. A PCX with better wind protection, wider tyres, a bit more storage space and a 300cc would be just perfect. You can say that it wouldn't be a PCX with all those changes, but I think it's possible. Beefing her up a little and keeping the looks of the PCX wouldn't be that difficult.
bromleyxjr

Post by bromleyxjr »

Still like my pcx but Honda main dealers are just ripping us off in the UK i was charge £130 for its 600mile service
the cost of servicing the pcx make its cheap purchase price , not so cheap when you add on servicing .
the sym may cost more to buy but will get money back on half the cost servicing and spares are 50% cheaper than Honda.
sorry Honda but 600mile service intervals / 6mths at that cost for a 2 valve engine :x
duive01
Regular User
Regular User

Post by duive01 »

bromleyxjr wrote:Still like my pcx but Honda main dealers are just ripping us off in the UK i was charge £130 for its 600mile service
That's indeed a ripoff! I hope they don't charge me as much next week!
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

£130 is very steep, i paid about £70.
ImageImage ImageImage Image
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

The valve adjustment is very easy to do yourself... Would save you tons of coin, and make the PCX cheaper in the long run for sure.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I'll be paying £0 for my 600 mile service. £130 on a £2.5k bike

First services used to be free
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

Bromley,if you paid £130 for a 1st serv,you need to go back to them my friend and ask for a breakdown,thats a p**s take if you ask me.......
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Some dealers have higher labour rates than others.
I pay circa £110 for a PCX service which includes a replacement bike for the day.
Personally I think that's not a bad price for the work that is required to be done and a day's bike hire.
The only problem is the frequency which is hardly the dealers fault.
Honda's 2500 mile intervals are just not good enough when you consider that the latest Vespa is 6000 miles.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Some dealers have higher labour rates than others.
I pay circa £110 for a PCX service which includes a replacement bike for the day.
Personally I think that's not a bad price for the work that is required to be done and a day's bike hire.
Honda's 2500 mile intervals are just not good enough when you consider that the latest Vespa is 6000 miles.

There's always an apologist that will step forward. £110 to service a piece of bent metal and some plastic is only acceptable of you can touch your toes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Far from an apologist, I know how much labour is involved and how much that labour costs.
I also know how much motorcycle hire costs.
So, I'm just being realistic.
If you wish to trade insults with me I have to warn you that I am extremely gifted in this area and give you fair warning that you may end up getting very hurt. :roll:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Far from an apologist, I know how much labour is involved and how much that labour costs.
I also know how much motorcycle hire costs.
So, I'm just being realistic.
If you wish to trade insults with me I have to warn you that I am extremely gifted in this area and give you fair warning that you may end up getting very hurt. :roll:

Oh dear

It's teeny isn't it?
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

pcx parked up for now

Post by Alibally »

qed wrote:

There's always an apologist that will step forward. £110 to service a piece of bent metal and some plastic is only acceptable of you can touch your toes

Try and pay for a 4 year service on a Mercedes CL600 and £110 for a service seems very good value. It costs about £550 just to do the spark plugs never mind anything else.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Alibally wrote:
qed wrote:

Try and pay for a 4 year service on a Mercedes CL600 and £110 for a service seems very good value. It costs about £550 just to do the spark plugs never mind anything else.

I wouldn't as the service life of a spark plug isn't related to calendar years.
bromleyxjr

Post by bromleyxjr »

The main problem with the main dealer service costs is i work in the service industry on water pumping systems , and i know what is down to be done and what gets a tick on the service sheet but is not touched due to not anytime left , or it just don't need doing , i always serviced my own bikes 16v shim jobs etc , but when i got the pcx new i forgot i would have to get a stamp on the service book , 1 to keep warranty , 2 to get a better resale price .
but working out the costs of servicing for the 2 years i am not sure i would get a new bike again.. :cry: